Junk HP InkJet Printers !?!?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 21, 2005 1:01:28 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'll set the stage then ask the question.  The first printer I bought in
1979 was an EPSON MX-80.  I went through so many boxes of paper I can't
remember.  In 1996 I was still using it on my '386 but wanted an ink jet.
I bought a HP-660C which at the time was one of the better ones.  I was
happy till August 2003 when it died.  I selectively purchased a HP-6122
inkjet, again one of the better ones at the time.

That HP died today, I used one 41mL ink cartrage and just bought a new about
3 weeks ago.  I have gone through five packs of paper (2500 sheets).  I
calculated it cost me 16 cents per sheet to own that garbage.  Both of my
printers died from an electronics failure probably on the main board.

I know EPSON is doing a good job supporting LINUX with their scanner
software and drivers so I was wondering if they might have a printer that
stands out in the price/performance/longevity arena.

If any of you have knowledge of a decent inkjet would you please pass that
info along.  I am also wondering if anyone else is ticked off about the
printer RACKET.  Electronics are so reliable these days it is unimaginable
there are so many printer failures unless those failures are an undisclosed
built in feature. Reliability is right out the window!

I saw on the news about a month ago the HP users in California are bringing
a Class Action Lawsuit against HP for allegedly disabling ink cartrages
after so many months.

Thanks for listening to a fellow American that's sick of the BS
Doug
--
LINUX protects me from the GATES of hell !!!

More about : junk inkjet printers

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:01:29 AM

"windozbloz" <nethawg1@verizon.net> wrote in message

> I bought a HP-660C which at the time was one of the better ones. I was
> happy till August 2003 when it died. I selectively purchased a HP-6122
> inkjet, again one of the better ones at the time.
>
> That HP died today, I used one 41mL ink cartridge and just bought a new about
> 3 weeks ago. I have gone through five packs of paper (2500 sheets). I
> calculated it cost me 16 cents per sheet to own that garbage. Both of my
> printers died from an electronics failure probably on the main board.

How did you diagnose that? If you have had an original cartridge in the
printer for two years you probably just need a fresh cartridge. Are there any
lights blinking on the printer? What are the symptoms?

Contrary to what you might think it is not in anyone's interest to have
printers die prematurely.

Regards,
July 21, 2005 1:01:30 AM

You only used one cartridge in 24 months? That's incredible! But how does
one cartridge and 2500 sheets of paper add up to $400.00? 2500 sheets x
$0.16 per sheet = $400.00. I just bought a ream (500 sheets) of basic paper
for $3.99. That's $0.00798 per sheet.

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

> "windozbloz" <nethawg1@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>> I bought a HP-660C which at the time was one of the better ones. I was
>> happy till August 2003 when it died. I selectively purchased a HP-6122
>> inkjet, again one of the better ones at the time.
>>
>> That HP died today, I used one 41mL ink cartridge and just bought a new
>> about
>> 3 weeks ago. I have gone through five packs of paper (2500 sheets). I
>> calculated it cost me 16 cents per sheet to own that garbage. Both of my
>> printers died from an electronics failure probably on the main board.
>
> How did you diagnose that? If you have had an original cartridge in the
> printer for two years you probably just need a fresh cartridge. Are there
> any lights blinking on the printer? What are the symptoms?
>
> Contrary to what you might think it is not in anyone's interest to have
> printers die prematurely.
>
> Regards,

July 21, 2005 2:11:29 AM

"windozbloz" <nethawg1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'll set the stage then ask the question. The first printer I bought in
> 1979 was an EPSON MX-80. I went through so many boxes of paper I can't
> remember. In 1996 I was still using it on my '386 but wanted an ink jet.
> I bought a HP-660C which at the time was one of the better ones. I was
> happy till August 2003 when it died. I selectively purchased a HP-6122
> inkjet, again one of the better ones at the time.
>
> That HP died today, I used one 41mL ink cartrage and just bought a new
> about
> 3 weeks ago. I have gone through five packs of paper (2500 sheets). I
> calculated it cost me 16 cents per sheet to own that garbage. Both of my
> printers died from an electronics failure probably on the main board.

No warrantee with it then?
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:34:48 AM

"windozbloz" <nethawg1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'll set the stage then ask the question. The first printer I bought in
> 1979 was an EPSON MX-80. I went through so many boxes of paper I can't
> remember. In 1996 I was still using it on my '386 but wanted an ink jet.
> I bought a HP-660C which at the time was one of the better ones. I was
> happy till August 2003 when it died. I selectively purchased a HP-6122
> inkjet, again one of the better ones at the time.
>
> That HP died today, I used one 41mL ink cartrage and just bought a new
> about
> 3 weeks ago. I have gone through five packs of paper (2500 sheets). I
> calculated it cost me 16 cents per sheet to own that garbage. Both of my
> printers died from an electronics failure probably on the main board.
>
> I know EPSON is doing a good job supporting LINUX with their scanner
> software and drivers so I was wondering if they might have a printer that
> stands out in the price/performance/longevity arena.
>
> If any of you have knowledge of a decent inkjet would you please pass that
> info along. I am also wondering if anyone else is ticked off about the
> printer RACKET. Electronics are so reliable these days it is unimaginable
> there are so many printer failures unless those failures are an
> undisclosed
> built in feature. Reliability is right out the window!
>
> I saw on the news about a month ago the HP users in California are
> bringing
> a Class Action Lawsuit against HP for allegedly disabling ink cartrages
> after so many months.
>
> Thanks for listening to a fellow American that's sick of the BS
> Doug
> --
> LINUX protects me from the GATES of hell !!!

A fellow American? Opps - sorry , are we in an American newsgroup? Ok - I
won't listen then.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:42:53 PM

I'm afraid market forces have made most inkjet printers today
"disposable". If you are lucky you will get two years out of them.

Indeed the older ones lasted longer and cost more. That quality seem to
be just history now.

Art

windozbloz wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'll set the stage then ask the question. The first printer I bought in
> 1979 was an EPSON MX-80. I went through so many boxes of paper I can't
> remember. In 1996 I was still using it on my '386 but wanted an ink jet.
> I bought a HP-660C which at the time was one of the better ones. I was
> happy till August 2003 when it died. I selectively purchased a HP-6122
> inkjet, again one of the better ones at the time.
>
> That HP died today, I used one 41mL ink cartrage and just bought a new about
> 3 weeks ago. I have gone through five packs of paper (2500 sheets). I
> calculated it cost me 16 cents per sheet to own that garbage. Both of my
> printers died from an electronics failure probably on the main board.
>
> I know EPSON is doing a good job supporting LINUX with their scanner
> software and drivers so I was wondering if they might have a printer that
> stands out in the price/performance/longevity arena.
>
> If any of you have knowledge of a decent inkjet would you please pass that
> info along. I am also wondering if anyone else is ticked off about the
> printer RACKET. Electronics are so reliable these days it is unimaginable
> there are so many printer failures unless those failures are an undisclosed
> built in feature. Reliability is right out the window!
>
> I saw on the news about a month ago the HP users in California are bringing
> a Class Action Lawsuit against HP for allegedly disabling ink cartrages
> after so many months.
>
> Thanks for listening to a fellow American that's sick of the BS
> Doug
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:46:01 PM

I think he is including the cost of the printer in that number, which is
fair, if it is indeed dead after only 2500 pages of what sound like
mainly text printing.

Art

Kevin wrote:

> You only used one cartridge in 24 months? That's incredible! But how does
> one cartridge and 2500 sheets of paper add up to $400.00? 2500 sheets x
> $0.16 per sheet = $400.00. I just bought a ream (500 sheets) of basic paper
> for $3.99. That's $0.00798 per sheet.
>
> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
>
>>"windozbloz" <nethawg1@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>

>>>I bought a HP-660C which at the time was one of the better ones. I was
>>>happy till August 2003 when it died. I selectively purchased a HP-6122
>>>inkjet, again one of the better ones at the time.
>>>
>>>That HP died today, I used one 41mL ink cartridge and just bought a new
>>>about
>>>3 weeks ago. I have gone through five packs of paper (2500 sheets). I
>>>calculated it cost me 16 cents per sheet to own that garbage. Both of my
>>>printers died from an electronics failure probably on the main board.
>>
>>How did you diagnose that? If you have had an original cartridge in the
>>printer for two years you probably just need a fresh cartridge. Are there
>>any lights blinking on the printer? What are the symptoms?
>>
>>Contrary to what you might think it is not in anyone's interest to have
>>printers die prematurely.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

July 22, 2005 2:41:33 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:42:53 GMT, Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

>I'm afraid market forces have made most inkjet printers today
>"disposable". If you are lucky you will get two years out of them.
>
>Indeed the older ones lasted longer and cost more. That quality seem to
>be just history now.

"Give them the razor, sell them the blades". With inkjets in particular, the
money always was going to be in the consumables. So to live within the above
marketing model, the printers were made cheaper by the year.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:41:34 PM

budgie wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:42:53 GMT, Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:
>

>>I'm afraid market forces have made most inkjet printers today
>>"disposable". If you are lucky you will get two years out of them.
>>
>>Indeed the older ones lasted longer and cost more. That quality seem to
>>be just history now.
>>

>"Give them the razor, sell them the blades". With inkjets in particular, the
>money always was going to be in the consumables. So to live within the above
>marketing model, the printers were made cheaper by the year.

This is bullshit. My HP is already 3 years old and works great. I also
have not had any problems with my Canon. Of course I use OEM ink.
July 22, 2005 2:41:35 PM

measekite wrote:

> This is bullshit. My HP is already 3 years old and works great. I also
> have not had any problems with my Canon. Of course I use OEM ink.

Still can't read huh! What the hell does your stupid remark have to do
with his statement?
Answer: nothing!
Idiot.
Frank
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:41:36 PM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> This is bullshit. My HP is already 3 years old and works great. I
>> also have not had any problems with my Canon. Of course I use OEM ink.
>

> Still can't read huh! What the hell does your stupid remark have to do
> with his statement?
> Answer: nothing!
> Idiot.
> Frank

IT IS THERE FOR A DUMMY LIKE U YOUR IQ IS THE SQUARE ROOT OF 1
July 22, 2005 2:41:37 PM

measekite wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:
>>

>>> This is bullshit. My HP is already 3 years old and works great. I
>>> also have not had any problems with my Canon. Of course I use OEM ink.
>>

>> Still can't read huh! What the hell does your stupid remark have to do
>> with his statement?
>> Answer: nothing!
>> Idiot.
>> Frank
>

> IT IS THERE FOR A DUMMY LIKE U YOUR IQ IS THE SQUARE ROOT OF 1

I see your flunked math you loser.
Frank
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:35:47 PM

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Frank wrote:

>>> Still can't read huh! What the hell does your stupid remark have to
>>> do with his statement?
>>> Answer: nothing!
>>> Idiot.
>>> Frank
>>

>> IT IS THERE FOR A DUMMY LIKE U YOUR IQ IS THE SQUARE ROOT OF 1
>

> I see your flunked math you loser.
> Frank

YES YOU ARE
!