Computer & Air Compressors

thefear

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Hello, Ive got a question i think someone could help me with ..

Well my computers really dusty about now and since summers around the corner i think i should give it a good spring clean :wink: .. Anyways, I was wondering is it safe to use an Air Compressor to blow the dust out of your case?? or will the pressure damage the components in it??

Thankz 4 Ya Help

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
NOOOO!!!

Don't use an air compressor!!

There's water and oil and all sorts of nasties that come out of an air compressor hose! Water is a condensation by-product of the compression process, oil is added to the line intentionally to lubricate air tools on a great many compressors, and there's even rust from the tank inside. In short, an air compressor is a very quick way to kill your comp.

Go to Walmart or an electronics store (Best Buy, Compusa, Fry's, etc...) and buy canned air. It's a hydrocarbon (I believe at least) and completely clean and dry. Sure it costs a bit, but frick, MUCH cheaper than buying new MB, proc, memory, whatever else gets fried by the gunk from a compressor.

EDIT: Added techincal stuff.

masteryoda34

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
You can get filters to put on an air compressor line which will prevent the water, oil, etc from coming out. Also If you use compressed air, make sure you do not over rev your fans. eg, Forcing them to spin faster than they were designed to and wrecking the bearings. I usually hold the fan blades in place when I use compressed air to avoid this.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
You will need a specialized tip to eliminate any water vapor... that alone will make it moderately costly. On top of that... I've heard of jumpers being blown off by using such methods. Just not a good idea... why not just buy a $4 can of compressed air?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Psh, Air compressor this, canned air that... just do it the old fashioned way. I put a damp rag over the end of the fan or an opening, and then I blow with ALL MY MIGHT. It works decently well, and it saves me $4 for overpriced canned air.

I mean, you could use canned air if you want, but I'd rather save the $4 for something useful, like a couple of Hot 'N Spicy McChickens.

But yeah, used compressed air if you have too. Don't risk shorting anything out.

thefear

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
mm .. ok doesnt sound like a good idea then :p .. But wont blowing it out be just as bad if not worse than compressed air? .. Because i dont realy want to go and buy air, That just sounds stupid 8O ..

So would a toothbrush be good? or is it abit to spikey and scratch the tracks on the board?

Coz i need something sorta small to get inbetween the nooks and crannys of everywhere .. Would a paint bush be okay? .. Lets me know what you thinks :D

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
i used a vac and compressed air can , i hold the vac near the parts y spraying the compressed air works wonders, if u guys are complaining bout $4 on a can of compressed air then u shouldnt even have a computer u tight bastards.

TheWraith

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I use my air compressor, I have (2) aire lines, the 1st one is after the filter (traps the water) and before the oiler - this one I use for air blow gun, tire infator. the 2nd line is on the end and used for all the tools.

So I use the 1st line, and blow it with that, not full force mind you... works great...

PaCanc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Maybe not as efficient as canned air, but you can blow over the heatsinks yourself.
This is free :) , but try not to spit on your electronic components. :p
Also, when doing this, you can also get a nice mouthfull of dust and chew it up. :)

thefear

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
haha yeh you will end up turning blue after blowin the whole case out.. 8)
Okay well ive found a makeup brush .. This should be okay right? Coz its all soft and spongey :p