Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading current system, how long will it last?

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2006 3:58:01 PM

Right now, I have:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
1 gig RAM
nVidia 6800GT

I think it's time for a better CPU (I've had it for 4 years now) and maybe some more RAM. How is this CPU/mobo combo:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939

How long will that last me? Will it run games with the Unreal 3 engine decently?

Also, I've never built a system before, so I've never put in a mobo and CPU. How hard is it for the first time? Thanks
August 24, 2006 4:40:05 PM

Quote:
Well if your doing an upgrade and you want it to last for longer then 6 months then you need some changes. If you want to go x2 that's great but you need a better motherboard and you need to drop the AGP card and get a ned PCI-e 16x Video card to go with the new board.

For a new upgrade like you want on a tight budget you could go with this board.
As for video you want to get a 7600GT this will last you for a while.

So get rid og the AGP card. don't even waiste your time with a board that has both AGP and PCI-e. Just go ahead and make the jump to PCI-e. If the Video card is outside your budget right now the drop to an Athlon 64 3500+ so you can get the video card. This may not let you play all the latest and greats games that will be out this time next year. But it will be a good system that should last you a few years. And there is still room for upgrades. You can save up the money and get a better video card and upgrade to that x2 you want.

The 6800GT won't last me any longer? My budget is very small right now, only around $300. If I chose to, couldn't I just get the mobo I listed and upgrade to a PCI-E GPU from there...since the mobo allows both AGP and PCI-E
August 24, 2006 6:29:02 PM

Quote:
In my opinion it dosn't make much cense to spend $180+ on the CPU just to throw it in to an outdated $60+ board. For me it would make more cense to spend $100+ on the CPU and go ahead and get a better card. Even if you only get a 7300gt. What you save on the CPU will cover the price of a good 7300GT. But that is my oppinion.

What you are going for is fine. Although you CPU will give you little to no limitations in game performance your Video card is what will keep you laging behind. Overall they are not bad choices. But you would notice a large inprovment in performance even with the A64 3500+. So i still recomend upgrading to a PCI-e card and only getting the 3500+ instead of the x2.

The system i have now i built 2 weeks ago. I only had $650 to work with. i was coming from an old socket 478 P4 1.7ghz CPU with 512mb RAMBUS RAM and a FX 5200 ultra AGP. So i had to replace eveything. An man what an improvment it was. I was wanting to get an x2 but couldn't. So i plan on upgradeing to it latter on down the road. I will also upgrade to a 7900GT latter on.

How much of an upgrade is a 7300GT from a 6800GT? Personally, I don't keep up with hardware, and I've never heard of the 7300GT before. I just looked it up on newegg and noticed how inexpensive it was.

But basically, what you recommend is an A64 3500 (not as good as what I wanted to upgrade to, but obviously better than my XP2800), a PCI-E mobo, and the 7300GT? What about ram? Is 1 gig still fine for now? I'm really cutting it close with my budget if I upgrade to what you recommend.
Related resources
August 24, 2006 6:38:47 PM

Quote:
Well if your doing an upgrade and you want it to last for longer then 6 months then you need some changes. If you want to go x2 that's great but you need a better motherboard and you need to drop the AGP card and get a ned PCI-e 16x Video card to go with the new board.

For a new upgrade like you want on a tight budget you could go with this board.
As for video you want to get a 7600GT this will last you for a while.

So get rid og the AGP card. don't even waiste your time with a board that has both AGP and PCI-e. Just go ahead and make the jump to PCI-e. If the Video card is outside your budget right now the drop to an Athlon 64 3500+ so you can get the video card. This may not let you play all the latest and greats games that will be out this time next year. But it will be a good system that should last you a few years. And there is still room for upgrades. You can save up the money and get a better video card and upgrade to that x2 you want.

The 6800GT won't last me any longer? My budget is very small right now, only around $300. If I chose to, couldn't I just get the mobo I listed and upgrade to a PCI-E GPU from there...since the mobo allows both AGP and PCI-E

I agree completely with mpilch. There is no point in upgrading your CPU without updating to a PCIe-capable mobo and upgrading to a more capable GPU. I doubt you will have a very enjoyable expericne with Unreal 3 with a 3 year old GPU. You will notice very little, if any, performance increase in gaming if you only upgrade your CPU without refreshing your GPU.
August 24, 2006 8:04:49 PM

For a tight budget , getting ASROCK MB is not a bad idea... you AGP card 6800 GT will be much better than 7300 GPU... Sure seems to be more exciting... but 6800GT will not be outperformed by any 7300... maybe a 7600GT would outperform 6800GT...but not a 7300...
Unless you get a AM2 socket CPU or a Core2duo CPU, you are already behind in novelty challenge... ASROCK with 939 CPU performs solid and no matter AGP or PCIexpress you will have a decent rig to play your games... of course... several choices could be done...and some would be buying a X2 , or a different MB , or GPU... from reports from hardware sites , ASrock is a solid purchase for a hybrid system... if you had a 6600GT it would already be a good choice to save some money... as you have 6800GT... I would take it without any doubt...
If you can...get a X2 for future....but single core are almost the same by now...but get faster as possible ...

well that's my opinion...
August 24, 2006 8:17:11 PM

Quote:
For a tight budget , getting ASROCK MB is not a bad idea... you AGP card 6800 GT will be much better than 7300 GPU... Sure seems to be more exciting... but 6800GT will not be outperformed by any 7300... maybe a 7600GT would outperform 6800GT...but not a 7300...
Unless you get a AM2 socket CPU or a Core2duo CPU, you are already behind in novelty challenge... ASROCK with 939 CPU performs solid and no matter AGP or PCIexpress you will have a decent rig to play your games... of course... several choices could be done...and some would be buying a X2 , or a different MB , or GPU... from reports from hardware sites , ASrock is a solid purchase for a hybrid system... if you had a 6600GT it would already be a good choice to save some money... as you have 6800GT... I would take it without any doubt...
If you can...get a X2 for future....but single core are almost the same by now...but get faster as possible ...

well that's my opinion...

Futrureproof if at all possible with the X2 if you can especially if you want to use it for a good while as it'll give you a much better shot at reusing the board later. Don't waste your money on a 7300GT right now. Save for a better card a few months down the road. Its quite quick and easy to find some reviews (google is your friend) showing a 7300GT getting lower scores with even better cpu setups than 6800GTs in the same games with "slower" cpu and equivalent hardware. I would hate for you to get a 7300GT home and see no increase in performance in most games and very likely lower in a lot of games than with your current card.

Furthermore the good old 6800GT has a 256bit memory interface compared to 7300GTs 128bit for even the 512mb card. This is a big bottleneck for the memory. 6800GT has MORE pixel pipes as well at 16 vs. the 7300GTs 8 pixel pipes.

At the end of the day its your choice but the way I would play it at least.
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 121 À AMD
August 24, 2006 10:03:09 PM

Quote:
I think it's time for a better CPU (I've had it for 4 years now) and maybe some more RAM. How is this CPU/mobo combo:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939

How long will that last me? Will it run games with the Unreal 3 engine decently?

For a budget upgrade what you have is fine. The ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 is a good hybrid motherboard. You'll probably see a little bit improvement in games but not too much because most games are limited by the GPU. This board will give you an option to upgrade to a PCI-e GPU in the future when you think the 6800GT is no longer good enough.

The 6800GT maybe a little old, but it still packs plenty of power. You will need to buy GeForce 7600GT (or better) if you are looking to improve GPU performance. That would cost you another $160 - $175.

http://www.penstarsys.com/reviews/video/evga/7600gtco/7...
!