Custom print interface in Windows

I'm not sure if this is the right group in which to ask, but hopefully
someone can help or at least point me in the right direction.

I need to create my own printer driver GUI, or at least know whether
it's possible to do. I'm annoyed at constantly having to click through
Preferences->Advanced->Advanced->Whatever when all I want to do is tell
my printer to print this particular document double-sided.

I've got a rough design worked out - a single window which appears when
you click on 'Preferences' in the Print dialog box from any program,
which contains all the options that I could possibly need/want to
change.

My question is this: how can I implement this? Is the interface stored
in a separate file to the driver itself, and if so, where is it and how
can I edit it?

This is all for Windows printing, by the way.

The printer is currently shared off a Linux machine and shared through
CUPS 1.1.23. Generic PostScript drivers work perfectly well from all
the Linux PCs on the network, so is there a way to do something with
that in Windows (since there must be open source PS drivers somewhere)?

I'm kind of new to this whole area, so bear with me, and if you need
more information just ask.

Cheers,
Pete

mark

"Zetten" <peter.vanzetten@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if this is the right group in which to ask, but hopefully
> someone can help or at least point me in the right direction.
>
> I need to create my own printer driver GUI, or at least know whether
> it's possible to do. I'm annoyed at constantly having to click through
> Preferences->Advanced->Advanced->Whatever when all I want to do is tell
> my printer to print this particular document double-sided.
>
> I've got a rough design worked out - a single window which appears when
> you click on 'Preferences' in the Print dialog box from any program,
> which contains all the options that I could possibly need/want to
> change.
>
> My question is this: how can I implement this? Is the interface stored
> in a separate file to the driver itself, and if so, where is it and how
> can I edit it?
>
> This is all for Windows printing, by the way.
>
> The printer is currently shared off a Linux machine and shared through
> CUPS 1.1.23. Generic PostScript drivers work perfectly well from all
> the Linux PCs on the network, so is there a way to do something with
> that in Windows (since there must be open source PS drivers somewhere)?
>
> I'm kind of new to this whole area, so bear with me, and if you need
> more information just ask.
>
> Cheers,
> Pete

There is a lot of stuff you can do with .ppd file of the printer in question
(Postscript only of course). But even then you have to open the
"Advanced..." button on the printing preferences window. .ppd files are
just text files, you can edit them with any text editor, but you will need
some knowledge of postscript. Edit the .ppd file and use the modified
version when you create the printer.

Mark

"Zetten" <peter.vanzetten@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I need to create my own printer driver GUI, or at least know whether
> it's possible to do. I'm annoyed at constantly having to click through
> Preferences->Advanced->Advanced->Whatever when all I want to do is tell
> my printer to print this particular document double-sided.

1. Instal a "new" printer the same as the existing
printer with a distinct name e.g. DS Print.
2. Set its / Preferences to what you want e.g DS Print.
3. When selected, this should print your document
the way you set in #2.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

ME

In message <1121953117.066148.268480@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Zetten <peter.vanzetten@gmail.com> writes
>I'm not sure if this is the right group in which to ask, but hopefully
>someone can help or at least point me in the right direction.
>
>I need to create my own printer driver GUI, or at least know whether
>it's possible to do. I'm annoyed at constantly having to click through
>Preferences->Advanced->Advanced->Whatever when all I want to do is tell
>my printer to print this particular document double-sided.
>
>I've got a rough design worked out - a single window which appears when
>you click on 'Preferences' in the Print dialog box from any program,
>which contains all the options that I could possibly need/want to
>change.
>
>My question is this: how can I implement this? Is the interface stored
>in a separate file to the driver itself, and if so, where is it and how
>can I edit it?

A rather easier way is to make several copies of the printer and then
adjust each one, so you might have say three copies of your printer
showing up in your control panel, eg one for black, one for colour, one
for double sided.

--
Timothy

In article <1121953117.066148.268480@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Zetten" <peter.vanzetten@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to create my own printer driver GUI, or at least know whether
> it's possible to do.

Absolutely it's possible to do it.

I've just taken a quick look at the .PPD file for my printer, and it
seems like the sort of thing I want. I don't suppose you know of any
software editors for it, or will I have to [have someone] learn it?

Thanks for the help all.

Pete

me@privacy.net wrote:
> In message <1122019720.083667.95170@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Zetten <peter.vanzetten@gmail.com> writes
> >I've just taken a quick look at the .PPD file for my printer, and it
> >seems like the sort of thing I want. I don't suppose you know of any
> >software editors for it, or will I have to [have someone] learn it?
> >
> >Thanks for the help all.
>
> Why do you need to do that? Why can't you just install it several times
> with different default settings for each instance?
>
> --
> Timothy

That's an option, and I've recommended it to the boss. The thing is, we
need customisation - it's all well and good having a few defaults, but
if you want to fine-tune it you still need to go in and change the
advanced options.

It would all be fine with that method if we just used two or three
schemas all the time, but we use a lot of different options in
combination with each other.

I'm personally hoping that he picks this method, since it makes my life
much easier. It's all down to the boss though, and I have a feeling
he's one of these guys who'll just pick an option by throwing a dart at
while blindfolded, so I'm covering all the bases.

Pete

ME