Ethernet Line fault detection

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am faced with a requirement to be able to hardware detect line
faults (ground faults and shorts) on an ethernet link. Since this
line is behind a balanced isolation transformer (and I new to the
ethernet game) I am uncertain if this can even be done. Does anyone
have any experience with this situation? It has to be done real time
(could be coordinated to ensure no data traffic if necessary).

Thanks for any inputs in advance..

Frodo
2 answers Last reply
More about ethernet line fault detection

    Bonsoir Frodo,

    > I am faced with a requirement to be able to hardware detect line
    > faults (ground faults and shorts) on an ethernet link. Since this
    > line is behind a balanced isolation transformer (and I new to the
    > ethernet game) I am uncertain if this can even be done. Does anyone
    > have any experience with this situation? It has to be done real time
    > (could be coordinated to ensure no data traffic if necessary).

    If an Ethernet port doesn't receive the link test pulses (those existing
    between data frames) during 50 up to 150 ms, due to any failure in the link
    segment, it results at least 2 events:

    - the transmission is deactivated,
    - the associated green LED (often called Link), if it exists, becomes off.

    For me, there is no relationship with the balanced isolation transformer.
    Michelot

    Michelot wrote:

    > Bonsoir Frodo,

    >>I am faced with a requirement to be able to hardware detect line
    >>faults (ground faults and shorts) on an ethernet link.

    (snip)

    > If an Ethernet port doesn't receive the link test pulses (those existing
    > between data frames) during 50 up to 150 ms, due to any failure in the link
    > segment, it results at least 2 events:

    Shorting of one wire of a pair to ground likely wouldn't stop
    link pulses, and maybe not ethernet. It might greatly increase
    RFI emission, though.

    I did once have a short in a coaxial ethernet system, which is
    silent, unlike an open which is detected quickly.

    -- glen

Detection Ethernet Card Networking