Which laptop has better build quality ? Acer or Dell

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I was looking through the laptops and stuff and the best 2 deals I came across were from those 2 brands and they were very similar...
Is there any difference betwee both of them?

jmacina

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I was looking through the laptops and stuff and the best 2 deals I came across were from those 2 brands and they were very similar...

I'm in the same boat as you, except Iamalmost pretty sure I am going for the Acer since I get more bang for buck. But I never owned one before, Only IBM thinkpads, which are more expensive and now are Lenovo ...

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
It really depends. What are you gonna be using the lappy for? School, work, gaming, video?

Imo, I don't like either. They both come with those glossy screens that are good for nothing but checking your makeup. Personally, I'd go for a macbook pro. They are the epitome of style and design. And with Boot Camp, there is really no reason to get a PC laptop anymore (its not like youre going to be doing intense gaming on a lappy anyway - thats what desktops are for).

However, if you absolutely must have a PC-based notebook, I'd go for the Dell. They are cheap and pretty customizable. The xpsm1710 is a pretty speedy option. It ain't no MBP, but its not totally butt-ugly either.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Well, comming from someone who buys Dells, I'm a bit biased. I own the lowest-end laptop of last summer, the Dell Inspiron 1200. It has a 1.3 GHz Celeron M, 30 GB hdd, CDRW/DVD drive, 14.1" screen, and 256MB of ram. I paid $450 for it. I use it for med school and your average daily stuff. It works fine for that.

Since I'm not sure what actual models of Dell and Acer your comparing, it's harder to give a decent opinion of the product. Both have decent build quality and use quality parts. Is the Acer going to be a local purchase, through a store like Best Buy or somthing similar? If so, it's usually easier to go to the store for technical problems and warranty claims than it would be to talk to a guy in India. I'd say if they are the same price and the same specs, go with the Acer if you can get it locally. I don't think there is enough of a difference in build quality to choose one over the other as both put out good laptops.

johngoodwin

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

Hi,

I almost bought an Acer, when I was shopping for my Dell Inspiron 8600.

I ended up shopping way too much, but got a decent deal considering my finances at the time, and the laptop I got.

I ended up with (about 18 months ago or so) off ebay a:
Dell Inspiron 8600
1GB RAM (later upgraded to 2GB, but had to remove both sticks, but sold those on ebay for about 1/3 what 2GB cost)
80GB HD (some is used by recovery software)
XP Pro
Extended battery
Pentium M 1.4Ghz
802.11g wifi minipci card (Intel proset wireless)
15.4" screen 1200x800
32MB NVidia GeForce Go FX 5200
Cost me under $1400 shipped

I also later got the docking bay for about $50 or so on ebay.

The laptop is decent, but I saw a killer deal on a local Best Buy flier, which I almost wish I bought even though I don't need another laptop.
Core Duo (probably the 2050)
15.4" screen
512MB
80GB HD (not sure, don't remember HD spec that well)
XP (Probably home)

Anyway, it was only $599
Killer deal.

I have used many Acer laptops and the quality of the build is amazing on higher end models. The Ferrari model is simply amazing. Carbon fiber top, lots of gadgets and extras. I have not used a dell XPS laptop though, but dell in general seems to be standard.

I recomend the Acer if your looking to spend the extra cash.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I just purchased an ACER laptop the Aspire 5102wlmi for $749...and i gotta say, im very impressed... i can play all my games on it(FEAR, CS:S, etc)with the exception of the ones that dont support 64 bit processors let alone dual core.I have got compliments from everyone on the other end of the built in webcam because its it works with little light and its only 1.3mp and the clarity/ quality/ refresh rate is very nice. (windows live messenger) its built right into the monitor.

This model definately is the best bang for the buck(ACER Aspire 5102wlmi), because its Turion64x2 (tl-50), 1gig ddr2 ram (128 shared video w/ xpress1100), WINXP media center edition, 1280x800 widescreen 15.4" lcd w/ built in 1.3mp webcam, built in mic, 120gig hard drive. And the wireless range is very strong...much stronger than other laptops.

No complaints here...oh one more thing...this laptop doesn't generate any heat....im not joking....i leave this thing on 12 hours a day plugged into the wall. i use the laptop for my work (Diablo2 item delivery) and IM while playing games. This laptop is phenominal.

Battery life is great also....gaming for almost 2 hours....or working for 4 hours.

http://tinyurl.com/rbv33