Question Disable fusion drive in the new iMacs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac_34

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Hi,

This is my first post here. I've been trying to figure this out. I'm going to buy an iMac on Friday, so I would really appreciate your help.
I would prefer to get a 3tb fusion drive, but Apple says boot camp doesn't support 3tb fusion drive. I would like to have an extra Windows 7 partition in my iMac for gaming.

Is it possible to disable the fusion drive in the new iMac, so you get two seperat volumes - one SSD and one HD? This would be the best way to get both Windows and OSX on SSD using bootcamp, even if you order the 3TB fusion drive.

Then at a later point, you can just clone the windows 7 partition to an external SSD (thunderbolt preferably), and delete the internal win7 partion and restore the fusion drive.

Can you disable fusion drive in new iMacs? Thanks! :)

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Why don't you call an Apple reseller and ask them this question you are better off than here sometimes.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
No you cant. By disabling the fusion drive, you are going to loose half your files... Bootcamp wont work because you cant create a normal partition because of the way the fusion drive works. You will hav to choose between faster mac, or bootcamp.

@musical marv. WTF man? you are a part of this forum, and the best you can do is tell people to look for info elsewhere?

Mac_34

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Hi, thanks for the replies. I called apple support, and they said no. However, I'm not sure if I should accept that as the final answer. We all know, the guys at Apple support don't necessarily have all the answers, and sometimes just recite the official Apple line. But for all we know, there could be some changes made to the new iMac that makes it more difficult to disable fusion drive.. We are talking about Apple here after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.