Scan, how to w/ Brother MFC-5100C

Good Morning all.
House sitting. Owner has a Brother MFC-5100C, and I've some photos
from Viet Nam I'd like to scan into the computer, but I can't figure
out how to scan with the Brother.
I punch the 'scan to' button,
Brother says "scan image" then "select"
I use the "up" button till "scan/ocr", then hit the "Menu/Set"
button.
Brother says "connecting to PC" and nothing seems to happen.
What am I doing wrong.

Thank you!

Christopher A. Steele

http://global.solutions.brother.com/mfc5100c_us/en_us/download/u_guide.html