For Games: LCD Monitor or CRT ?

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
I need a new monitor to play games and wonder if I should get an LCD 19" or 20" or a CRT Flat Panel of similar size.

If the choice should be an LCD which is a good one?

Also...I have an ATIRADEON 9800 Pro video card and wonder if it is capable of handling the 1680x1050 recomended resolution of an LCD monitor.

Help in this matter will be appreciated.

My system:

AMD 64 Bit 3200 processor
Mobo ASUS K8N 754 socket
1Gig Corsair RAM
ATIRADEON 9800 Pro 128 Mb 256 bit
Western Digital 120 gigs

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I need a new monitor to play games and wonder if I should get an LCD 19" or 20" or a CRT Flat Panel of similar size.

Also...I have an ATIRADEON 9800 Pro video card and wonder if it is capable of handling the 1680x1050 recomended resolution of an LCD monitor.

My system:

Mobo ASUS K8N 754 socket
1Gig Corsair RAM
Western Digital 120 gigs

I think most people will reccoment the LCD. They are much easier on the eyes, minimal glare, excellent IQ on the high end models and, of course, they take up a fraction of the space of a comparable CRT. I currently use a Dell 2005fpw 20" widescreen LCD where I could previously only fit a 17" CRT.

As for your system being able to handle games at that resolution, you should have no problem with older games (2004 and earlier), however it WILL struggle to play the more recent titles at that rez. I have a 6800 ultra which is quite a bit faster and it is definately showing its age when I bump up the rez on demanding titles like AOEIII, FEAR, and Oblivion.

The last thing you want to do is get a high rez monitor only to find your games turn into a slide show.

The upgrading rule of thumb is upgrade evenly. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a $500 monitor for a $100 video card.

Hope this helps.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
What kind of things do you use your computer for? If it is anything other than First Person Shooters or high end photo work then an LCD is most likely the better choice. Even if you mostly play FPS's all you need is a good gaming monitor (I use a Viewsonic VX922 and I love it). Unless you are a super-hardcore FPS player or frequently do high end graphic design, I suggest an LCD.

Avalanche0415

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Go LCD... I recommend for games to look for a 8ms or lower...

I am running a BENQ|LCD 19" 4MS DVI FP91V... I enjoy it very much and have had no problems with it at all!!!

gyruss

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Up till last week, I had a ViewSonic p95f 19" CRT. It was starting to show it's age. Upgraded to a Viewsonic 2025w, so far no complains, very happy with it. Only issue being that black and darker colors aren't as deep as in the CRT. Other than that very happy.

If I had to make a choice between a brand new LCD or CRT, it would be close. But i'd probably go with the LCD. Great for non-gaming aswell.

http://reviews.cnet.com/ViewSonic_VX2025wm/4505-3174_7-31747549.html?tag=pop

Wide screen is a plus in gaming as well. very immersive.

specs:

amd64 4000+
2GB ram
2x 7800gt in SLi
Audigy 2

if you go lcd or widescreen check out this link, very helpful:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com

good luck.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

My system:

Mobo ASUS K8N 754 socket
1Gig Corsair RAM
Western Digital 120 gigs

I would say LCD is best. You can't find many high-quality CRT monitors out there anymore because they are being phased out.

But, what kind of LCD are you looking for? There are tons of good LCDs for tons of different reasons/applications. What are you using your PC for? What is your price range? Do you want Widescreen or not? (many games don't currently support WS, but I think it will become more popular, especially with XBOX360 native WS support).

If you plan on gaming, you are probably going to have to upgrade your graphics card to play any current games in your native resolution.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I have a 24" 16:10 WideScreen CRT, and I have a 20" 16:10 Widescreen LCD at work for CAD

I would have to say that I like the CRT W A Y better than the LCD

I like to be able to use more than one resolution and have great looking text and not even be concerned with refresh rates and timeings...

I can deal with the extra heat they throw off, and who cares about the "extra space" the LCD's give you? do you use the "space" behind the new LCD for anything anyway? lol

The CRT's are also cheaper in general, I picked mine up on eBay and did a local pickup to cut out the shipping charges

Just my $.03

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I personally purchased this monitor last year after doing some research and reading a review of it on Tom's (a great place to start your research). Tom’s still references this monitor as a benchmark when comparing other LCD’s in gaming.

HYUNDAI L90D+ Silver 19" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers 0.294mm Pixel Pitch - Retail
$213.99 @ NewEgg.com Price has really dropped since this passed winter ($270)

So far it’s great. The review on tom's will tell you all you need to know, except I have seen some reviews on NewEgg that complained about a dead line problem on a batch from last year. Haven’t had problems with mine... yet.
Actually it really is great for gaming, the only negatives would be the narrow vertical/horizontal viewing area, and the narrow range of brightness/contrast available for a good picture (Tom's review has the best recommended setting for a good picture, I used them and concur)

The biggest problems with LCD’s in general are dead pixels. My monitor has none but that’s not always the case. (Some manufactures have a zero dead return policy, but most make you live with 3-7 depending on the manufacture), and ghosting (The refresh speed in ms it takes a pixel to transition from dark to light) which is very important when playing games.

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I have a 24" 16:10 WideScreen CRT...who cares about the "extra space" the LCD's give you? do you use the "space" behind the new LCD for anything anyway? lol

Damn, son, you must have a seriously big desk! I don't know too many people who could fit a 24" crt on their computer desk. Also, that thing must weigh a ton!

For the average person, an LCD makes more sense as you can fit a much larger screen in a much smaller case. An average depth computer desk will support a 19" CRT. In that same space you could easily fit a 24" or even 30" LCD.

Plus, there is no eye-damaging glare on LCDs like on CRTs. Though some like CRTs because they enjoy scalable resolutions and their slightly better colour accuracy over LCDs, for the average enthusiast, there is very little to say in favour of CRTs.

They are old technology and are being rapidly phased out of production. As LCD technology is perfected, I doubt you will even be able to buy a CRT within a few years.

If I had the choice between a 17" LCD and a 24" CRT, I wouldn't hesitate to choose the LCD. They are that superior, in my opinion.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Damn, son, you must have a seriously big desk! I don't know too many people who could fit a 24" crt on their computer desk. Also, that thing must weigh a ton!

LOL

The monitor weighs in at 105 pounds :)

My computer table setup holds two separate computer stations (with a center section for printers/scanners) @standing height (with two chairs) the whole table is roughly 16 feet long in a half hexagon semi-circle shape consisting grey plastic laminate with a bright orange plastic laminate top

I turn on my CRT & my AC unit and let them fight it out while I game :)

Did I mention it's in an apartment? hehe

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
You must use more electricity then most third world countries! :lol:
Actually I used to have a 35" RCA console tube TV that probably weighed 300lbs, and used twice as many watts.

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Just my $.03

Wow, inflation! LOL My $.02 :lol: is that you should get a Compaq P1220 CRT. I got one of these for Christmas last year and I love it. Great picture, flexible resolution settings, not too heavy, perfect flat screen, very user-friendly. Only downside may be shipping cost if you get it online. I agree with Tuna that the concept of extra space brought on by LCD is somewhat an urban legend. Everyone I know with an LCD just has a lot more unused desktop space in front of or behind their LCD. My corner desk holds my 22" CRT perfectly against the wall.

koolaidkitten

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I say go with a LCD unless you are SUPER hardcore gamer and want the absolute best possible picutre/refresh rate/minimal ghosting thta you can possibly get.

*unless u are playing games for a living I wouldnt bother with the CRT. you probably woudlnt notice the difference or care less about it*

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
A High end CRT at about £300 will be 22", much brighter than any LCD, have a 'response time' so good that its unmeasurable, and happily run in amazing resolutions like 2048x1536@75hz, whereas an LCD of the same price will *only* be any good in 1280x1024

CRTs are not dead.

LCDs are 'pretty', and they take up little desk space. Unless you have £3000 (yes, thousand) to burn on a high end one, or *need* the room, I'd stick with the CRT myself.

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Thanks very much for all the input. I am not a hard core gamer but I do like a few games which I play almost every night in multiplayer. I also do extensive work with pictures and videos for home use.

Seem's that an LCD is the one for me.

I just wonder why the big difference in prices from one 19" LCD monitor to the next in the same brand. Does it have to do with the response time?

I was wondering which Viewsonic will be the best for me....I also noticed big diferences in the response time' The less the number the better the monitor?

Avalanche0415

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I also noticed big diferences in the response time' The less the number the better the monitor?

Yes the lower the number the better the LCD but I have read that in real life (Gameing) you can not see any real difference in response time with a 8MS and lower... I recomend checking out warrenties too... Lower response time less chance of ghosting...

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Read some of the reviews in Tom's (they do a roundup every year) and watch out for some of the newer "OverDrive" LCD's, the ones with less then 8ms. The Overdrive technology has its drawbacks.

ajmueller

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Is that your setup with the 4000+, Audigy 2, etc.? Cause that's my EXACT setup, except I only have one 7800 GT. Did you get a good boost in performance with the second card?

randomizer

Champion
If you want to know what really bad ghosting is, check out the new Apple Imac G5 (the LCD one). Just moving a window around on it results in unreadable text and if you did it long enough you will probably get motion sickness.

Datablitz

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I own a ViewSonic VX922 and must say it is the bomb! CRTs do have an inherent advantage in the refresh rate department but an LCD is what you need if you are in front of a screen half your life. I definetely recommend the VX922. Right now it's at $265 over at newegg.

Think about why you need the monitor most...
Folow this simple guide..

LCD Pros (to CRT):
Space and Weight
Easier on the eyes
Brighter and non-reflective
Digital input (no more fiddling with the screen controls)

LCD Cons (to CRT):
Price (They are cheap but still more expensive than CRT)
Ghosting (In sub-8ms none)
Native Resolution only does it justice

That's about it from me... Good luck

duke2004x

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
To be quite honest for the system you have it dosent make sense for you to spend that cash on a LCD, why not get a good 19" dell flat screen CRT monitor, and put the rest of the cash into a better graphics card?
No point in having a 19" to 20" LCD with out the system to back it up.
Plus the CRT will be way way way cheaper, like £40 on ebay, and the gaming is great on them, and great colour, but go for whatever suits your needs at this time.