capturing dv with a firewire on an audigy/2/4?

Kirika

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
anyone do any capturing of dv through the firewire port on an audigy/2/4?

I only have 1 pci slot and am forced to use a combo card for sound and firewire on my new motherboard the x7dae.

The doesn't work for me on my old p4dc6+ system, i enable the firewire port on the audigy 1 plug in my dv cam and my capture program or premiere doesn't see it. It works if I plug it in to the dv500 editing card's firewire though.

Don't wanna buy a new audigy 2 or 4 for my new system without knowing if this works.

pkquat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
I assume other programs see the firewire port on the audigy. I think XP should see it and you should be able to have XP recognize the cam. If not I then it is probably a driver issue which should correct the problem.

The other possibility is there might be a difference in the firewire, a vs b etc. It shouldn't be an issue but I have heard that there can be problems.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I've been using the firewire port on my audigy 2 (cant remember the exact model) and Havent had a problem yet.

I used a standalone card in another comp but for some reason 2 of the 4 ports stopped working, must've been a cheap card.

Kirika

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
thanks for the replies

well looking to build a new dual woodcrest xeon on the x7dae board for hd editing and need a soundcard+firewire solution that i can capture off my old dv cam with. only one pci slot for the lose and no built in firewire and the hd decklink extreme cards don't have firewire.

well i don't really care if my old audigy works in my old dual p4 xeon box, i think it might be a conflict with the dv500 which also has firewire or the card itself is damaged or just old. xp does see the firewire on the audigy I see it in device manager just when I hook up the dv cam it don't work if hooked to audigy, the dv500 works fine for dv capture which is what i have been using for 5 years but the dv500 doesn't support xp service pack 2 and I will be selling this machine soon as soon as I get my new one up 100%.

if dv capture does work i'll be looking to get an audigy 2 zs platinum then. anyone know where to get a good price on one new egg has it for 100 after rebates.