RAID 5 config question

I inherited a Windows 2000 small business server that acts as an
application and Exchange server. It appears that three drives have
been configured for RAID 5. There are (2) 9GB SCSI drives and (1)
18GB SCSI drive giving a total space available of 18GB. One of the
9GB drives failed. The server is still functioning but with no fault
tolerance.
My question is this; can I replace the defective 9GB with a 36GB and
will I get more available space? If so, I would like to change the
other two drives out (one at a time, re-creating the volume each time)
until I have 72GB.
Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Edrin

Hardware RAID 5 will usually not let you use unused parts of a disk that is
a RAID member, so inserting a 36GB disk will not give you more free space.

I have seen some cases where all disks has been upgraded and the volume
extended, but this is unsupported, at least on Dell servers.

Best regards

Bjorn

Bjorn Landemoo <mvp2.REMOVE@landemoo.com> wrote in message news:<mq9g80htk8p6rff2bme945sqmrolp33edg@4ax.com>...
> Edrin
>
> Hardware RAID 5 will usually not let you use unused parts of a disk that is
> a RAID member, so inserting a 36GB disk will not give you more free space.
>
> I have seen some cases where all disks has been upgraded and the volume
> extended, but this is unsupported, at least on Dell servers.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bjorn
> --
> Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
>
> nodima@aol.com (Edrin) wrote:
>
> >I inherited a Windows 2000 small business server that acts as an
> >application and Exchange server. It appears that three drives have
> >been configured for RAID 5. There are (2) 9GB SCSI drives and (1)
> >18GB SCSI drive giving a total space available of 18GB. One of the
> >9GB drives failed. The server is still functioning but with no fault
> >tolerance.
> >My question is this; can I replace the defective 9GB with a 36GB and
> >will I get more available space? If so, I would like to change the
> >other two drives out (one at a time, re-creating the volume each time)
> >until I have 72GB.
> >Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me Bjorn. You are correct, it did not see
the additional space after putting in the 36GB. Looks like I'll have
to try the other two and hope I don't have to re-construct everything.