Sign in with
Your question

How do you overclock the X1900XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2006 7:15:17 PM

one of the main reasons i bought the X1900XT and not the XTX was because most of the write ups i read said you could OC the XT to XTX specs.
what i didn't think about was how you actually do this?
can anybody help?

More about : overclock x1900xt

August 24, 2006 9:49:03 PM

ive used the catalyst to oc with no problems(except when i overclocked to the max and crashed my game hahaha)
Related resources
August 24, 2006 9:50:41 PM

i tried ATItool without reading the instructions, and i think i also downloaded some old version - needless to say it didn't work. :roll:
i clicked on "find max core" and my screen went dead! that might be normal, but i doubt it.
August 24, 2006 9:55:29 PM

Quote:
ive used the catalyst to oc with no problems(except when i overclocked to the max and crashed my game hahaha)

that's a good point actually! what figures should i be aiming for?
August 24, 2006 9:58:11 PM

i say just dink around with the frequencies in catalyst and see what doesnt crash....ill edit this when i get home to my comp but im about 1/3 up the bar on both and she runs like a dream
August 24, 2006 9:59:58 PM

boo double post
August 24, 2006 10:40:09 PM

If, as is apparent here, you know little about OCing, try the built in utility in the Catylist Control Center (CCC) first.

Open the center, and click on the "advanced view" button, which will allow you to get to the "overdrive" feature. Click on overdrive, then unlock the card by clicking on the lock symbol. They have a tutorial in the help section.

You can move the sliders for core and mem speed manually, or allow the utility to find the sweet spot. I usually get more OC manually, than allowing the machine to do it.

Make sure you check the box to save your settings on startup, otherwise you have to repeat the above with every startup.

This method limits your OC, no matter how good your chip is.

Now, once you have masterd this method, download the ATI tool, only the beta version worked on the x1900 series when I got mine 6 months ago, not sure about the latest.

ATI tool lets you do what you will with your card, but does not offer all the safety nets the CCC does.

CCC- for noobs and those ok with a modest OC

ATI tool- tool for pros
August 24, 2006 11:17:54 PM

Quote:
You can OC through the Catalyst, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Download ATI Tool, and OC that way.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4109

IMO, ATI Tool is the best ATI OC utility. Download ATI Tool, and click "find max core", and have that run for an hour. Do the same with "find max mem". Then check the temperatures; anything under 70C is fine.

Prozac: Have you overclocked anything in your new PC yet? How's it running? Wanna post some benchies?
August 25, 2006 1:08:23 AM

alright then - lets say i decide to use ATItool. do i still need to have Catalyst CC installed? to be honest, i don't use it, because i'm not sure what to use it for and if it even makes a difference.
yes i know i'm a newb, but this is my first PC! :oops: 
sad but true!
August 25, 2006 3:37:16 AM

Quote:
alright then - lets say i decide to use ATItool. do i still need to have Catalyst CC installed? to be honest, i don't use it, because i'm not sure what to use it for and if it even makes a difference.
yes i know i'm a newb, but this is my first PC! :oops: 
sad but true!

Catalyst CC is kind of an addition to the basic VGA drivers. It's a program which allows you to change the image quality (AA/AF, mipmapping, etc.), and setup your display. It's not strictly part of the drivers; you can download just the basic VGA drivers. CCC runs in your toolbar; however a lot of people prefer ATI Tray Tools.

ATI Tool is a standalone software-based overclocking utility for ATI cards. It allows you to change the core/memory speeds, monitor the temps, and scan for artifacts.
August 25, 2006 4:56:12 AM

Interesting link. Thanks
!