Havish problem - Teleportation Chamber

Last response: in Video Games
April 11, 2005 12:52:45 AM

I'm not sure when this started, but now, even LOOKing at the Teleportation
Chamber in the Havish Mage's Guild causes an instant CTD. It's not a matter
of over-use of resources in this case, as I can reboot the machine, start a
fresh game saved just out of sight of the chamber, and still, just turning
to face the thing causes insant crash. The worst part is that I've now done
the mission for her where you get the guild steward in Vivec to build a
chamber just like it, and I'm afraid when she finishes building it, I won't
be able to go to the Vivec Mage's Guild either without crashing. I don't
know what it is about that effect. As I recall, it just uses the same
graphics as the Propylon chambers, all of which work perfectly fine. I've
played through Havish before with another character, and he never had this
problem. (I'll have to try loading him up again to see if he's affected as
well now...) I'm upset, because this is one of my favorite features added
to Havish. Being able to easily transport to Gnisis, Suran, Dagon Fel, and
Tel Vos with only a maximum of 2 hops from any mage's guild is quite handy.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:11:36 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
> I'm not sure when this started, but now, even LOOKing at the Teleportation
> Chamber in the Havish Mage's Guild causes an instant CTD. It's not a matter
> of over-use of resources in this case, as I can reboot the machine, start a
> fresh game saved just out of sight of the chamber, and still, just turning
> to face the thing causes insant crash. The worst part is that I've now done
> the mission for her where you get the guild steward in Vivec to build a
> chamber just like it, and I'm afraid when she finishes building it, I won't
> be able to go to the Vivec Mage's Guild either without crashing. I don't
> know what it is about that effect. As I recall, it just uses the same
> graphics as the Propylon chambers, all of which work perfectly fine. I've
> played through Havish before with another character, and he never had this
> problem. (I'll have to try loading him up again to see if he's affected as
> well now...) I'm upset, because this is one of my favorite features added
> to Havish. Being able to easily transport to Gnisis, Suran, Dagon Fel, and
> Tel Vos with only a maximum of 2 hops from any mage's guild is quite handy.

When you say that you are using a save just out of sight of the chamber
is it a continuing save or a new save? If it is a save that you have
been using for awhile try saving under a new name and loading that. The
only time I had similar crashes this fixed it. Somehow the old save
game got corrupted and starting a new one fixed itself.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:11:37 AM

> When you say that you are using a save just out of sight of the chamber
> is it a continuing save or a new save? If it is a save that you have
> been using for awhile try saving under a new name and loading that. The
> only time I had similar crashes this fixed it. Somehow the old save
> game got corrupted and starting a new one fixed itself.

Hmm, if it's that simple, I'll give you a medal for it, but somehow I think
this problem runs deeper. I know there are other things wrong with this
save, but mostly they're livable problems. (Using the Hilda companion mod,
and for some reason her usual attack voice has been replaced with a choking
sound, which I think comes from Combat Enhanced, but that's an entirely
other story.) Anyhow, this problem has persisted for a little while now,
and it seems to be getting progressively worse. Before, I could look at the
teleportation chamber, but attempting to use it resulted in an instant
crash. I don't think this character has ever successfully used that
teleporter. (Been concentrating mostly on mainland Vvardenfell missions.)
I'm starting to think that any character's stability starts to just totally
break down after level 20 or so. The more stuff you do, the more data that
has to get saved to your character, thus the more memory required, and the
more chance of something screwing up. Just once, I'd like to be able to
play this game for more than an hour without crashing. It's getting pretty
darn unplayable at times...
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:59:52 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>>When you say that you are using a save just out of sight of the chamber
>>is it a continuing save or a new save? If it is a save that you have
>>been using for awhile try saving under a new name and loading that. The
>>only time I had similar crashes this fixed it. Somehow the old save
>>game got corrupted and starting a new one fixed itself.
>

> Hmm, if it's that simple, I'll give you a medal for it, but somehow I think
> this problem runs deeper. I know there are other things wrong with this
> save, but mostly they're livable problems. (Using the Hilda companion mod,
> and for some reason her usual attack voice has been replaced with a choking
> sound, which I think comes from Combat Enhanced, but that's an entirely
> other story.) Anyhow, this problem has persisted for a little while now,
> and it seems to be getting progressively worse. Before, I could look at the
> teleportation chamber, but attempting to use it resulted in an instant
> crash. I don't think this character has ever successfully used that
> teleporter. (Been concentrating mostly on mainland Vvardenfell missions.)
> I'm starting to think that any character's stability starts to just totally
> break down after level 20 or so. The more stuff you do, the more data that
> has to get saved to your character, thus the more memory required, and the
> more chance of something screwing up. Just once, I'd like to be able to
> play this game for more than an hour without crashing. It's getting pretty
> darn unplayable at times...

My current character is in the 60s and has no crashing problems.
Upgrading to 1 GB of memory helped a lot. I am not using a lot of the
mods you mentioned so am not sure if the problem is a battle royale
between various mods for resources. I am currently running the main
games, adamantium armor, adamantium helm, area effect arrows, Havish,
Suran Underworld, Fort Firemoth (?), Better Bodies, and a couple of
self-made item mods.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:59:50 AM

> My current character is in the 60s and has no crashing problems.
> Upgrading to 1 GB of memory helped a lot. I am not using a lot of the
> mods you mentioned so am not sure if the problem is a battle royale
> between various mods for resources. I am currently running the main
> games, adamantium armor, adamantium helm, area effect arrows, Havish,
> Suran Underworld, Fort Firemoth (?), Better Bodies, and a couple of
> self-made item mods.

I have 1.5 GB of memory. I upgraded specifically because MW was crashing
all the time. I even got decent namebrand ram with heatsinks and a case fan
to keep everything cool. You know what? It hasn't helped at all. I still
crash all the time, maybe even more than before. I may need a better video
card. Currently I'm using a Radeon 8500, and I wouldn't be surprised if
it's half the problem. Most of the mods I run are the non-invasive ones,
mods which make the game friendlier to use or replace graphics, as opposed
to adding content. Havish, Hilda, Suran Underworld, a house mod or two, and
all the "official" mods - including Firemoth - are about the only ones I
have that add anything significant. I tried to add Juniper's Twin Lamps
mod, but that's when things started going haywire, I think. The first thing
I noticed was every character in the game suddenly had the exact same dialog
and voices - one of the characters from Twin Lamps. I also couldn't reload
a save I had without an instant crash, so I removed Twin Lamps, and went
back a few saves, and it seemed to run fine, with the exception of Hilda's
attack voice going crazy.

I'd give up Hilda, but I've gotten so used to having her around. (She makes
a very effective pack mule if nothing else, but she also helps take care of
the annoying fights, like all the Slaughterfish and stuff whenever I swim
anywhere.) Maybe I could replace her with some other follower, but I don't
really want to get one of those plot-heavy NPCs like Emma's. I'm sure
they're great, but I really just want something simple, a follower that
helps in a fight. Besides, I really don't think that Hilda is the cause of
the crash, just an unfortunate consequence. Do you know of any way to
"clean" a save by removing anything that might cause conflicts?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 5:07:56 AM

Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>>My current character is in the 60s and has no crashing problems.
>>Upgrading to 1 GB of memory helped a lot. I am not using a lot of the
>>mods you mentioned so am not sure if the problem is a battle royale
>>between various mods for resources. I am currently running the main
>>games, adamantium armor, adamantium helm, area effect arrows, Havish,
>>Suran Underworld, Fort Firemoth (?), Better Bodies, and a couple of
>>self-made item mods.
>

> I have 1.5 GB of memory. I upgraded specifically because MW was crashing
> all the time. I even got decent namebrand ram with heatsinks and a case fan
> to keep everything cool. You know what? It hasn't helped at all. I still
> crash all the time, maybe even more than before. I may need a better video
> card. Currently I'm using a Radeon 8500, and I wouldn't be surprised if
> it's half the problem. Most of the mods I run are the non-invasive ones,
> mods which make the game friendlier to use or replace graphics, as opposed
> to adding content. Havish, Hilda, Suran Underworld, a house mod or two, and
> all the "official" mods - including Firemoth - are about the only ones I
> have that add anything significant. I tried to add Juniper's Twin Lamps
> mod, but that's when things started going haywire, I think. The first thing
> I noticed was every character in the game suddenly had the exact same dialog
> and voices - one of the characters from Twin Lamps. I also couldn't reload
> a save I had without an instant crash, so I removed Twin Lamps, and went
> back a few saves, and it seemed to run fine, with the exception of Hilda's
> attack voice going crazy.

Have you checked your video card after one of these crashes? I was
getting constant crashes with my 9700 Pro where the video card was
almost too hot to touch. Putting in a slot cooler fan fixed that
problem. If the video card is causing the crashes maybe it corrupted
one of the files when the computer went down.

> I'd give up Hilda, but I've gotten so used to having her around. (She makes
> a very effective pack mule if nothing else, but she also helps take care of
> the annoying fights, like all the Slaughterfish and stuff whenever I swim
> anywhere.) Maybe I could replace her with some other follower, but I don't
> really want to get one of those plot-heavy NPCs like Emma's. I'm sure
> they're great, but I really just want something simple, a follower that
> helps in a fight. Besides, I really don't think that Hilda is the cause of
> the crash, just an unfortunate consequence. Do you know of any way to
> "clean" a save by removing anything that might cause conflicts?

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:45:27 PM

Hi,

i had a similar problem with Havish. After playing some time with this
mod it crashed 50% of the time when i was talking to the guild guide
in Havish. After that started the game crashed from time to time at
other locations.

For me the solution was to remove the mod Havish (and Haldenshore)
load my game, save it without the mods and now i can play my character
without any problems.

Its not the best solution possible (i liked the mods) but i could play
my character further.

regards
Holger Schulz

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:52:45 -0400, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>I'm not sure when this started, but now, even LOOKing at the Teleportation
>Chamber in the Havish Mage's Guild causes an instant CTD. It's not a matter
>of over-use of resources in this case, as I can reboot the machine, start a
>fresh game saved just out of sight of the chamber, and still, just turning
>to face the thing causes insant crash. The worst part is that I've now done
>the mission for her where you get the guild steward in Vivec to build a
>chamber just like it, and I'm afraid when she finishes building it, I won't
>be able to go to the Vivec Mage's Guild either without crashing. I don't
>know what it is about that effect. As I recall, it just uses the same
>graphics as the Propylon chambers, all of which work perfectly fine. I've
>played through Havish before with another character, and he never had this
>problem. (I'll have to try loading him up again to see if he's affected as
>well now...) I'm upset, because this is one of my favorite features added
>to Havish. Being able to easily transport to Gnisis, Suran, Dagon Fel, and
>Tel Vos with only a maximum of 2 hops from any mage's guild is quite handy.

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:45:28 PM

> i had a similar problem with Havish. After playing some time with this
> mod it crashed 50% of the time when i was talking to the guild guide
> in Havish. After that started the game crashed from time to time at
> other locations.
>
> For me the solution was to remove the mod Havish (and Haldenshore)
> load my game, save it without the mods and now i can play my character
> without any problems.

I understand that Havish is an unusually difficult mod to remove, since it
affects so much stuff on the mainland as well. I hope I don't have to go
that route, however, as I too liked this mod a lot the first time through.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:41:56 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:45:27 +0200, Holger Schulz
<Schulz-Holger.nospam@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i had a similar problem with Havish. After playing some time with this
>mod it crashed 50% of the time when i was talking to the guild guide
>in Havish. After that started the game crashed from time to time at
>other locations.

Did you ever finish the Havish Thieves' Guild quest where you have to
track this guy through Gnaar Mok and Ebonheart, and find him dead in
one of the inns there?

The quest was to retrieve an artifact and now that he is a corpse I
have no idea where to go next - I can't find anyone in Ebonheart who
knows about him other than which inn he's at and no one back in Havish
knows anything.

I tried to find a Havish walkthrough but nada...
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:47:11 AM

Okay, I think I'm starting to see a pattern here. I've been using Magical
Trinkets of Tamriel III for a little while, though only in the background.
Just recently, I went and did a whole bunch of raids on smugglers' dens in
the Bitter Coast and Ascadian Isles regions, and these places are just
filthy rich with MTT items. So now, I've got a rather large inventory full
of Ioun Stones, Emblems, Charms, Scepters, etc. I'm noticing that when I
start trying to arrange this inventory, placing items I don't need on the
ground or just weeding out the duplicates, I'm quite likely to suffer that
scary loud white-noise hang. It's happened several times in a row now. I
can organize all the other items I want, alchemy ingredients, armor,
weapons, jewelry, whatever. But the minute I start playing around with
those MTT items, I'm almost guaranteed to get a crash within minutes. I
assume it has something to do with the scripts on these items, as I know
that they are all heavily scripted. I don't think it's a bug in the mod so
much as just my system being unable for whatever reason to handle that kind
of stress from thinking about all those scripts. I don't want to uninstall
this mod, as it's one of my favorites, but if I can't find some way of
curtailing this sort of behavior, I may have no other choice...
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:01:23 AM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:57:41 +0200, Holger Schulz
<Schulz-Holger.nospam@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>i did not went this far. I finished the warehousequest and the next
>one(?) of TG. I think i was in the moiddle of quest you are asking for
>when i decidet to uninstall Havish because of the crashes. Sorry!
>My last FG quest was the one to kill lots of rats.
>The dungeon with the lost adventurer was challenging and fun - even a
>bit confusing because of the layout.

Yup - that's a FIghter's Guild quest rather than a Thieves' Guild
quest. I've heard there are 8 Mage Guild, 8 Fighters Guild and no
fewer than 20 Thieves Guild quests in Havish - I have not counted the
TG quests but the one I refer to would be one of the last ones.

>>Did you ever finish the Havish Thieves' Guild quest where you have to
>>track this guy through Gnaar Mok and Ebonheart, and find him dead in
>>one of the inns there?
>>
>>The quest was to retrieve an artifact and now that he is a corpse I
>>have no idea where to go next - I can't find anyone in Ebonheart who
>>knows about him other than which inn he's at and no one back in Havish
>>knows anything.
>>
>>I tried to find a Havish walkthrough but nada...
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:42:00 PM

14.04.05, Holger Schulz (Schulz-Holger.nospam@t-online.de)

>i did not went this far. I finished the warehousequest and the next
>one(?) of TG. I think i was in the moiddle of quest you are asking for
>when i decidet to uninstall Havish because of the crashes.

What crashes? There are no crashes caused by Havish.
There are several situations (Teleport Chamber, Grimward Battle, Artemis'
Ambush) where an unclean will cause crashes though, when quest-objects moved
by script are removed from the savegame.

To get an unclean savegame you just have to change or uninstall
one of the mods that is used by the current savegame.

Ciao,
Jochen (JOG)
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:41:33 AM

On 16 Apr 2005 17:43:00 +0200, Jochen Gehring <jo.ge.nospam@gmx.net>
wrote:

>The Dremora found him before you and took it.
>
>You can either kill the Dremora and give the amulet back to Eleret;
>or let the Dremora leave in peace and tell Eleret that you had no chance
>to retrieve it; or fight the Dremora, tell Eleret that you didn't get the
>amulet and keep it for yourself.

I figured as much but when I went back to the Dremora's location
outside Havish he wasn't there. And Eleret is still demanding I find
it with the same message I was given when the quest was first given.

Do you remember what the name of the Amulet was? I am fairly certain I
did not sell it to Creeper...
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:30:27 PM

Moin,

I installed all mods and started a new game (with Havish and
Haldenshore). I did not add new mods after starting the game.

When i was level 20 i did the FG quest for the lost adventurer and
then i did the MG one with the distribution of the teleporter seeds.
When i went back to MG report, i got a crash 50% of time speaking with
the quest giver. But worse from than on i had crashes every 20 minutes
(more or less). The only solution i found was to disable Havish.

Is there any tool to clean a save game?

Do you think reenabling Havish is a good idea?

BTW i really enjoyed Havish and Haldenshore so far :-)

Holger

On 16 Apr 2005 17:42:00 +0200, Jochen Gehring <jo.ge.nospam@gmx.net>
wrote:

>14.04.05, Holger Schulz (Schulz-Holger.nospam@t-online.de)
>
>>i did not went this far. I finished the warehousequest and the next
>>one(?) of TG. I think i was in the moiddle of quest you are asking for
>>when i decidet to uninstall Havish because of the crashes.
>
>What crashes? There are no crashes caused by Havish.
>There are several situations (Teleport Chamber, Grimward Battle, Artemis'
>Ambush) where an unclean will cause crashes though, when quest-objects moved
>by script are removed from the savegame.
>
>To get an unclean savegame you just have to change or uninstall
>one of the mods that is used by the current savegame.
>

>Ciao,
> Jochen (JOG)
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 7:56:00 PM

17.04.05, Holger Schulz (Schulz-Holger.nospam@t-online.de)

>When i was level 20 i did the FG quest for the lost adventurer and
>then i did the MG one with the distribution of the teleporter seeds.
>When i went back to MG report, i got a crash 50% of time speaking with
>the quest giver. But worse from than on i had crashes every 20 minutes
>(more or less). The only solution i found was to disable Havish.

Well, I have no idea how Havish could cause any crashes outside of Havish,
As long as you aren't visiting the location it adds, a plugin doesn't
change your system's stability or framerate in any way. Only exceptions are
plugins that change gameplay, like adding new random enemies or changing the
capabilities of existing objects (like the Necessity of MW plugin, that adds
a script to every well in the world)

The Problems with the Teleport-Chamber, the Grimward battle and the Ambush
are known, but until now, everyone who experienced a crash after placing the
seeds had removed or changed plugins before, causing MW's object removal bug.

The solution is to create new versions of the missing objects,
that are moved in the dialogue:

Before talking to the teleporter-gal, open the console and type:

PlaceatPC ZH_Tele_Anchor1 1 0 0
PlaceatPC ZH_Tele_Anchor2 1 0 0
PlaceatPC ZH_Tele_Anchor3 1 0 0
PlaceatPC ZH_Tele_Anchor4 1 0 0

After the dialogue some of the crystals might remain standing around
to get rid of them open the console again, click on each of them and type:

disable
setdelete 1

>Do you think reenabling Havish is a good idea?

You don't really await an objective answer to this, do you? ;)

>BTW i really enjoyed Havish and Haldenshore so far :-)

BTW: http://home.tiscali.de/jo.ge/mw/pirates :)

Ciao,
Jochen
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 10:10:45 AM

On 25 Apr 2005 18:32:00 +0200, Jochen Gehring <jo.nospam.ge@gmx.net>
wrote:

>"The Heirloom" is the last Pickpocket-quest.
>
>You can do the quests in almost any sequence, each of the four Taskmasters
>(Amusement, Burglary, Pickpocketing, Smuggling) has 3 jobs, Eleret,
>the Guildmaster, has 6. She will give you the final quest when you've
>done everything else.

Thanks I guess I've finished Havish then...
!