problems with epson r200 CD printing

I have never had problems with this before but now am getting message
that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly. I have reset tray and pressed
paper button but still get same error message. I have done this about
ten times and it is driving me bananas.... I have also "cleaned" the
rollers by feeding and ejecting A4 size plain paper as advised in the
manual. The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
is the reason for the problem.....
HELP!
31 answers Last reply
More about problems epson r200 printing

    rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com wrote:
    > I have never had problems with this before but now am getting message
    > that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly. I have reset tray and pressed
    > paper button but still get same error message. I have done this about
    > ten times and it is driving me bananas.... I have also "cleaned" the
    > rollers by feeding and ejecting A4 size plain paper as advised in the
    > manual. The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    > coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    > is the reason for the problem.....
    > HELP!

    I've noticed with my R200 that the CD tray feeds erratically at first
    when I start to print on a disc. If I give the tray a bit of help with
    my finger, it will usually feed OK. I really doubt that it is going to
    last to the end of the warranty.

    Once it feeds the CD, it does a good job. I've never run a piece of
    paper through it so I don't know how that feeds.

    John

    > The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    > coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    > is the reason for the problem.....
    > HELP!

    I can't help you resolve the issue with your r200. I can only share
    that I had issues with my r200 and while it got replaced under warranty
    with a free batch of ink... knowing then what I know now I don't think
    it needed repair but rather ink managed to slosh on an important
    reflector causing the head to act like a lost puppy. I would suspect
    either this or the reflectors... the 4 retangular white marks on the
    tray may have become warn. Mine certainly did after the 200th cd. In
    the states they give out free replacement trays like hotcakes. I've
    had luck using spray oil based white primer my self.

    The blinking light is worrysome... I don't know the error codes nor do
    I know how much you have printed with the printer but it might be
    telling you that you are either low on ink or the nappy is full of ink.
    I don't have a good service manual with the error codes printed.
    Unless someone here can say what that means by all means talk with
    epson... get a free replacement tray while your at it.

    All r200 owners should open up the rear door, small retangular
    protected by a singular screw in the back, pull out the waste ink tube,
    and route the waste ink to something you can dump easily. Those
    nappies fill up quickly... and the end user can't replace them.... and
    the service if out of warranty costs close to the value of the printer.
    If you route your waste ink you can reset the nappy counter to 0 with
    the scc utlility.
    http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

    They are spiffy printers in terms of photo quality, just a pain in the
    tookus in some areas.

    In article <1121983441.303123.148780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com () wrote:

    > ...am getting message that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly.

    I don't have an R200 but is it possible that it's the paper (media)
    thickness lever that's in the wrong position?

    I seem to recall getting a similar, misleading error message when I first
    tried printing a CD in my 2100.

    Jon.

    I am using the Epson PRINT CD interface so assume this is the Epson CD
    printing driver you are referring to....

    There is no thickness lever that I can see on r200

    bottom in yiddish

    arse in yiddish

    John Worman wrote:

    > rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I have never had problems with this before but now am getting message
    >> that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly. I have reset tray and pressed
    >> paper button but still get same error message. I have done this about
    >> ten times and it is driving me bananas.... I have also "cleaned" the
    >> rollers by feeding and ejecting A4 size plain paper as advised in the
    >> manual. The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    >> coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    >> is the reason for the problem.....
    >> HELP!
    >>
    > I've noticed with my R200 that the CD tray feeds erratically at first
    > when I start to print on a disc.

    In this regard, the entire R series Epson Printers suffer from this
    engineering defect.

    Jon O'Brien wrote:

    >In article <1121983441.303123.148780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    >rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com () wrote:
    >

    >>...am getting message that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly.
    >>

    >I don't have an R200 but is it possible that it's the paper (media)
    >thickness lever that's in the wrong position?
    >
    >I seem to recall getting a similar, misleading error message when I first
    >tried printing a CD in my 2100.
    >
    >Jon.

    As usual you do not know what you are talking about. It is common
    knowledge that every Epson R series printer is defective when it comes
    to this problem. Every one. It will happen sooner or later. It is in
    the design.

    measekite wrote:

    It is in the design.
    <-------------------->

    Design? You're the idiot who can't put two words together and you're
    telling us about engineering design.
    Don't make me laugh.

    Frank

    Nice to know that I am not alone on this....:-)
    I have printed on no more than twenty CDs.
    I am sure the low ink indicator has nothing to do with it as I have had
    no problem printing onto paper.
    I am not sure how to route waste ink tube - you mean just pull it out
    and put a bowl underneath?

    Nice to know that I am not alone on this....:-)
    I have printed on no more than twenty CDs.
    I am sure the low ink indicator has nothing to do with it as I have had

    no problem printing onto paper.
    I am not sure how to route waste ink tube - you mean just pull it out
    and put a bowl underneath?

    I am using Epson Print CD program so I think this is same as Epson
    Print CD driver

    Frank wrote:

    > measekite wrote:
    >
    > It is in the design.
    > <-------------------->
    >
    > Design? You're the idiot who can't put two words together and you're
    > telling us about engineering design.
    > Don't make me laugh.
    >
    > Frank

    WHY NOT YOU ARE A JOKE

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    >>coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    >>is the reason for the problem.....
    >>HELP!
    >>

    >I can't help you resolve the issue with your r200. I can only share
    >that I had issues with my r200 and while it got replaced under warranty
    >with a free batch of ink... knowing then what I know now I don't think
    >it needed repair but rather ink managed to slosh on an important
    >reflector causing the head to act like a lost puppy. I would suspect
    >either this or the reflectors... the 4 retangular white marks on the
    >tray may have become warn. Mine certainly did after the 200th cd. In
    >the states they give out free replacement trays like hotcakes. I've
    >had luck using spray oil based white primer my self.
    >
    >The blinking light is worrysome... I don't know the error codes nor do
    >I know how much you have printed with the printer but it might be
    >telling you that you are either low on ink or the nappy is full of ink.
    > I don't have a good service manual with the error codes printed.
    >Unless someone here can say what that means by all means talk with
    >epson... get a free replacement tray while your at it.
    >
    >All r200 owners should open up the rear door, small retangular
    >protected by a singular screw in the back, pull out the waste ink tube,
    >and route the waste ink to something you can dump easily. Those
    >nappies fill up quickly... and the end user can't replace them.... and
    >the service if out of warranty costs close to the value of the printer.
    > If you route your waste ink you can reset the nappy counter to 0 with
    >the scc utlility.
    >http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
    >
    >They are spiffy printers in terms of photo quality, just a pain in the
    >tookus in some areas.

    WHAT IS TOOKUS

    measekite wrote:

    > WHAT IS TOOKUS

    <------------------>
    hehehe...it's something you are.
    hahaha.
    Frank

    rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com schrieb:

    > I have never had problems with this before but now am getting message
    > that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly. I have reset tray and pressed
    > paper button but still get same error message. I have done this about
    > ten times and it is driving me bananas.... I have also "cleaned" the
    > rollers by feeding and ejecting A4 size plain paper as advised in the
    > manual. The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    > coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    > is the reason for the problem.....
    > HELP!

    Are you sure you are applying the special Epson CD printing driver? I had the same
    problem but found out that I had tried to print using some other CD paper label
    driver.
    Herb

    In article <g4ZDe.19650$NU2.18168@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
    inkystinky@oem.com (measekite) wrote:

    > >I don't have an R200 but is it possible that it's the paper (media)
    > >thickness lever that's in the wrong position?

    > As usual you do not know what you are talking about.

    Read my comment (you can move your lips if it helps). I said I don't have
    an R200 and was asking if my suggestion was a possible cause, not stating
    categorically that it is the cause.

    Unlike you, I'm happy to admit that there are many things I don't know.
    One of which is why you take such delight in publicly demonstrating what a
    fool you are.

    Jon.

    In article <1122024627.355937.143240@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com () wrote:

    > There is no thickness lever that I can see on r200

    Guess it's not that, then.

    Jon.

    <rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have never had problems with this before but now am getting message
    > that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly. I have reset tray and pressed
    > paper button but still get same error message. I have done this about
    > ten times and it is driving me bananas.... I have also "cleaned" the
    > rollers by feeding and ejecting A4 size plain paper as advised in the
    > manual. The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    > coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    > is the reason for the problem.....
    > HELP!

    IF the thin clear plastic strip at the end of the tray gets bent just a tiny
    bit it will cause the tray not to load... Easy fix, remove the plastic
    strip problem solved!

    measekite wrote:

    > Jon O'Brien wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1121983441.303123.148780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    >> rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com () wrote:
    >>

    >>> ...am getting message that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly.
    >>>

    >> I don't have an R200 but is it possible that it's the paper (media)
    >> thickness lever that's in the wrong position?
    >>
    >> I seem to recall getting a similar, misleading error message when I
    >> first tried printing a CD in my 2100.
    >>
    >> Jon.
    >>

    > As usual you do not know what you are talking about. It is common
    > knowledge that every Epson R series printer is defective when it comes
    > to this problem. Every one. It will happen sooner or later. It is in
    > the design.

    Kettle pot black! Obviously you also do not know what you are talking
    about.

    So my R210 and R1800 both have the same problem - Bull.

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    >>coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    >>is the reason for the problem.....
    >>HELP!
    >

    > I can't help you resolve the issue with your r200. I can only share
    > that I had issues with my r200 and while it got replaced under warranty
    > with a free batch of ink... knowing then what I know now I don't think
    > it needed repair but rather ink managed to slosh on an important
    > reflector causing the head to act like a lost puppy. I would suspect
    > either this or the reflectors... the 4 retangular white marks on the
    > tray may have become warn. Mine certainly did after the 200th cd. In
    > the states they give out free replacement trays like hotcakes. I've
    > had luck using spray oil based white primer my self.
    >
    > The blinking light is worrysome... I don't know the error codes nor do
    > I know how much you have printed with the printer but it might be
    > telling you that you are either low on ink or the nappy is full of ink.
    > I don't have a good service manual with the error codes printed.
    > Unless someone here can say what that means by all means talk with
    > epson... get a free replacement tray while your at it.
    >
    > All r200 owners should open up the rear door, small retangular
    > protected by a singular screw in the back, pull out the waste ink tube,
    > and route the waste ink to something you can dump easily. Those
    > nappies fill up quickly... and the end user can't replace them.... and
    > the service if out of warranty costs close to the value of the printer.
    > If you route your waste ink you can reset the nappy counter to 0 with
    > the scc utlility.
    > http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
    >
    > They are spiffy printers in terms of photo quality, just a pain in the
    > tookus in some areas.

    Mine I think the problem being that the tray does not grip to feed in
    and I use finger pressure assistance.

    The R800/1800 is different design in the feed/tray mechanism. I still
    prefer the R210 feed its quicker if printing heaps of CD's.

    Jon O'Brien wrote:
    > In article <1122024627.355937.143240@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    > rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com () wrote:
    >

    >>There is no thickness lever that I can see on r200
    >

    > Guess it's not that, then.
    >
    > Jon.

    When you open the CD lid/flap?? the heads raise to accommodate the CD
    tray. Its auto like.

    In article
    <42e0fb03$0$784$61c65585@un-2park-reader-02.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au>,
    mesa@mine.com (Rob) wrote:

    > When you open the CD lid/flap?? the heads raise to accommodate the CD
    > tray. Its auto like.

    Makes more sense than the lever tucked away at the rear right of the 2100.
    There are symbols alongside it which represent the various settings but
    they're impossible to see unless you have access to the right side of the
    printer.

    Jon.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Makes more sense than the lever tucked away at the rear right of the 2100.
    > There are symbols alongside it which represent the various settings but
    > they're impossible to see unless you have access to the right side of the
    > printer.

    While there is no lever in the r200, there is IIRC a software switch in
    the event your head is bumping into the media. I don't have the
    drivers installed so I can't remember where it is, but it's listed in
    the manual with the text "don't use unless you have a problem".
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>Makes more sense than the lever tucked away at the rear right of the 2100.
    >>There are symbols alongside it which represent the various settings but
    >>they're impossible to see unless you have access to the right side of the
    >>printer.
    >

    > While there is no lever in the r200, there is IIRC a software switch in
    > the event your head is bumping into the media. I don't have the
    > drivers installed so I can't remember where it is, but it's listed in
    > the manual with the text "don't use unless you have a problem".

    If you don't have the printer switched on and fully ready pushing the
    tray into the starting point the heads will hit the tray. Not a good
    feeling as the heads scrape across the tray.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    NCHA wrote:

    > <rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have never had problems with this before but now am getting message
    >>that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly. I have reset tray and pressed
    >>paper button but still get same error message. I have done this about
    >>ten times and it is driving me bananas.... I have also "cleaned" the
    >>rollers by feeding and ejecting A4 size plain paper as advised in the
    >>manual. The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    >>coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    >>is the reason for the problem.....
    >>HELP!
    >>

    > IF the thin clear plastic strip at the end of the tray gets bent just a tiny
    > bit it will cause the tray not to load... Easy fix, remove the plastic
    > strip problem solved!

    I have cut a small bent piece from the tray - doesn't this strip act as
    the starting grip to feed the tray in? I think infact that my rollers
    are either worn or dirty which is why it doesn't feed without slight
    pressure assistance.

  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > If you don't have the printer switched on and fully ready pushing the
    > tray into the starting point the heads will hit the tray. Not a good
    > feeling as the heads scrape across the tray.

    Actually I was refering to paper like media. There is an option to
    print on thicker than normal media that you switch if your head is
    scrapting the paper.

    But come to think about it... there were a couple of times when my head
    scrapped the tray... something about trying to print in another
    application other than epson's cd print (whatever it's called). Most
    odd the fact that you can pick the tray as the source of media, but it
    assumes paper height... perhaps they were half thinking using it for
    envelopes.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > ... there were a couple of times when my head scrapped the tray...

    So better watch your head ;-)

    Herb

  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
    > NCHA wrote:
    >
    > > <rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I have never had problems with this before but now am getting message
    > >>that CD/DVD tray is not set correctly. I have reset tray and pressed
    > >>paper button but still get same error message. I have done this about
    > >>ten times and it is driving me bananas.... I have also "cleaned" the
    > >>rollers by feeding and ejecting A4 size plain paper as advised in the
    > >>manual. The low ink indicator is also flashing but I have just printed
    > >>coloured pictures on paper without any problem and can't believe this
    > >>is the reason for the problem.....
    > >>HELP!
    > >>

    > > IF the thin clear plastic strip at the end of the tray gets bent just a
    tiny
    > > bit it will cause the tray not to load... Easy fix, remove the plastic
    > > strip problem solved!
    > >

    > I have cut a small bent piece from the tray - doesn't this strip act as
    > the starting grip to feed the tray in? I think infact that my rollers
    > are either worn or dirty which is why it doesn't feed without slight
    > pressure assistance.

    No, I haven't had an issue with that.. It seemed to me that the plastic was
    "bumping" the rollers and every time it did I got a message that the tray
    isn't right and it would kick back out... Since I removed it I haven't had
    any trouble
  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I have a friend with the Epson R200 and he found the permanent cure
    here ->
    http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162648
    He placed a piece of tape on the front of the tray and never had
    another problem.

Printers Epson CD-Rom Peripherals