double instances of application...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi there,

When I run a program like Pest Patrol or SpyBot, they hang and when I go to
Task Manager, there are 2 instances of those programs when running and
having gone into a "hang".

I disabled ALL services and then they run fine.....

Which service would be the one to look for that's causing this problem....??

Thanks,

Gordon
4 answers Last reply
More about double instances application
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    msmsgs

    "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > When I run a program like Pest Patrol or SpyBot, they hang and when I go to
    > Task Manager, there are 2 instances of those programs when running and
    > having gone into a "hang".
    >
    > I disabled ALL services and then they run fine.....
    >
    > Which service would be the one to look for that's causing this problem....??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Navigate to the program's folder and look for duplicated files. I had the
    problem with Retrospect as well as Pest Patrol before and that was the
    cause. I did several uninstalls and reinstalls without solving anything. A
    Dantz (Retrospect) tech walked me through the fix. I don't know why the
    uninstalls did not help, but it definitely was a duplicate file.

    "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > msmsgs
    >
    > "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> When I run a program like Pest Patrol or SpyBot, they hang and when I go
    >> Task Manager, there are 2 instances of those programs when running and
    >> having gone into a "hang".
    >>
    >> I disabled ALL services and then they run fine.....
    >>
    >> Which service would be the one to look for that's causing this
    >> problem....??
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Gordon

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I should have added, it was the problem in my case. Of course there may be
    other causes I did not confront.

    > Navigate to the program's folder and look for duplicated files. I had the
    > problem with Retrospect as well as Pest Patrol before and that was the
    > cause. I did several uninstalls and reinstalls without solving anything.
    > A Dantz (Retrospect) tech walked me through the fix. I don't know why the
    > uninstalls did not help, but it definitely was a duplicate file.
    >
    > "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> msmsgs
    >>
    >> "Gordon J. Rattray" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> When I run a program like Pest Patrol or SpyBot, they hang and when I go
    >>> Task Manager, there are 2 instances of those programs when running and
    >>> having gone into a "hang".
    >>>
    >>> I disabled ALL services and then they run fine.....
    >>>
    >>> Which service would be the one to look for that's causing this
    >>> problem....??
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Gordon

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi Gordon,

    Disable half the services, reboot, see if it helps. If so, then the problem
    is one of the disabled ones. If not, then it is one of the remaining ones.
    Continue disabling half of the remaining suspects until you narrow it down.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Gordon J. Rattray" <gordscorp@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > When I run a program like Pest Patrol or SpyBot, they hang and when I go
    > to Task Manager, there are 2 instances of those programs when running and
    > having gone into a "hang".
    >
    > I disabled ALL services and then they run fine.....
    >
    > Which service would be the one to look for that's causing this
    > problem....??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon

Configuration Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP