frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just wondering... how come Microsoft is now teaching us how to change Win XP
Licensing Keys from pirated CDs
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874)? Have they
thrown in the towel on piracy?

If you read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892
carefully, you will see that you still must have a license for the new key.
As long as you own a valid license, the installation media is not important.

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering... how come Microsoft is now teaching us how to change Win
> XP
> Licensing Keys from pirated CDs
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874)? Have
> they
> thrown in the towel on piracy?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hmm... you've got a point

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> If you read http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892
> carefully, you will see that you still must have a license for the new key.
> As long as you own a valid license, the installation media is not important.
>
> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just wondering... how come Microsoft is now teaching us how to change Win
> > XP
> > Licensing Keys from pirated CDs
> > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874)? Have
> > they
> > thrown in the towel on piracy?

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Just wondering... how come Microsoft is now teaching us how to change Win
XP
| Licensing Keys from pirated CDs
| (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874)? Have
they
| thrown in the towel on piracy?

How is information on changing from a pirated to a legitimate key "throwing
in the towel"? I see it as an encouragement to legitimize your setup. You
need to purchase a legitimate Windows XP Professional Retail version key in
order to make the change so Microsoft doesn't lose any money on this. And
while some people may have knowingly used a pirated key there are some who
don't. Microsoft is simply trying to help people legitimize their systems
without having to clean install.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp