low disk space for swapping file

I am getting the following error message when trying to install part of an
upgrade:

extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk
space for swapping file) or corrupted cabinet file.

Now I know that the PC has 512 MB RAM, 86% free resources, 80 GB HD, 68.2 GB
Free so i know its not a memory/disk space issue. This executible is located
on a networked drive and has worked on 2 other computers so its not a problem
with the install files. Could it be a problem with a cab file thats already
on the PC? If so how would I go about checking them?

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

"nbuwalda" <nbuwalda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am getting the following error message when trying to install part of an
> upgrade:
>
> extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk
> space for swapping file) or corrupted cabinet file.
>
> Now I know that the PC has 512 MB RAM, 86% free resources, 80 GB HD, 68.2
GB
> Free so i know its not a memory/disk space issue. This executible is
located
> on a networked drive and has worked on 2 other computers so its not a
problem
> with the install files. Could it be a problem with a cab file thats
already
> on the PC? If so how would I go about checking them?
>
> Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

The file is probably being corrupted (which results that mimic low memory or
space problems) as it transfers or is loaded into memory locally. Copy the
file locally and confirm that it is identical using a CRC utility, or a
program like FileSync (www.fileware.co.uk) set to do full compares. If the
files are identical, but the problem persists, something running on your
system is possibly corrupting memory, or the system may have defective
memory or a damaged drive controller. Try using MSCONFIG and boot
minimally (but not in safe mode, as many apps can't be installed in safe
mode)

HTH
-pk

> "Test User" wrote:
>
> > "nbuwalda" <nbuwalda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I am getting the following error message when trying to install part
of an
> > > upgrade:
> > >
> > > extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low
disk
> > > space for swapping file) or corrupted cabinet file.
> > >
> > > Now I know that the PC has 512 MB RAM, 86% free resources, 80 GB HD,
68.2
> > GB
> > > Free so i know its not a memory/disk space issue. This executible is
> > located
> > > on a networked drive and has worked on 2 other computers so its not a
> > problem
> > > with the install files. Could it be a problem with a cab file thats
> > already
> > > on the PC? If so how would I go about checking them?
> > >
> > > Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.
> >
> > The file is probably being corrupted (which results that mimic low
memory or
> > space problems) as it transfers or is loaded into memory locally. Copy
the
> > file locally and confirm that it is identical using a CRC utility, or a
> > program like FileSync (www.fileware.co.uk) set to do full compares. If
the
> > files are identical, but the problem persists, something running on your
> > system is possibly corrupting memory, or the system may have defective
> > memory or a damaged drive controller. Try using MSCONFIG and boot
> > minimally (but not in safe mode, as many apps can't be installed in safe
> > mode)
> >
> > HTH
> > -pk
> >

> > I have transferred the files directly to the PC's desktop and ran the
executable from there instead of the networked drive and disabled everything
from the startup then rebooted........still getting the same error message

Then your machine may have subtle hardware problems, in either the drive
controllers or the memory modules. Are you having other problems with it?

-pk

"Test User" wrote:

> "nbuwalda" <nbuwalda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Test User" wrote:
> >
> > > "nbuwalda" <nbuwalda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> of an

> disk

> 68.2
> > > GB
> > > located
> > > problem
> > > already

> > > The file is probably being corrupted (which results that mimic low
> memory or
> > > space problems) as it transfers or is loaded into memory locally. Copy
> the
> > > file locally and confirm that it is identical using a CRC utility, or a
> > > program like FileSync (www.fileware.co.uk) set to do full compares. If
> the
> > > files are identical, but the problem persists, something running on your
> > > system is possibly corrupting memory, or the system may have defective
> > > memory or a damaged drive controller. Try using MSCONFIG and boot
> > > minimally (but not in safe mode, as many apps can't be installed in safe
> > > mode)
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > -pk
> > >

> > > I have transferred the files directly to the PC's desktop and ran the
> executable from there instead of the networked drive and disabled everything
> from the startup then rebooted........still getting the same error message
>
> Then your machine may have subtle hardware problems, in either the drive
> controllers or the memory modules. Are you having other problems with it?
>
> -pk

The symptoms are closely related to a machine filled with malware. I suggest
that you dowmload, install, update, and scan with Ad-aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com