Just changed speakers, subwoofer not working?

Zedstorm

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Hello. My household has two computers in it, one being a family computer, and one being my personal system. We've just replaced the speaker system on the family computer (though there was nothing wrong with the speakers it had... we just upgraded). The speakers on my personal computer were crappy and nearly eight years old, so I decided to put the replaced speakers from the family computer on my system.

Everything went smoothly and the speakers work... but the subwoofer has no sound. It's definitely connected because the power goes through the sub and then connects to the speakers. I now have next to no bass, and everything sounds quite hollow and distant.

It's also quite an old speaker system, but it works amazingly well for the size. It's an Altec Lansing ACS340. Two small desktop speakers and a subwoofer.

image007.jpg

Anybody have any clue why the sub would stop working after being switched from one computer to another? There was nothing wrong with it before...

xiii

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Hi! I used to have those speakers too, and sometimes that same problem as well. I saw that the cause was that the cable that runs from the sub to the speakers got kind of loose. Some fiddling with the connectors would usually solve the problem. Good luck!

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
LOL I used to have those speakers! Don't really know what the problem could be as set-up is pretty straightforward.

Ah, that brings me back :p