Sign in with
Your question

"True" dual core

Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2006 11:40:21 PM

I stayed out of the CPU game during the A64/PentiumD era, but I head people refer to the X2 and now Core2Duo as "True" dual core technology.

What is the difference between the dual core used in PentiumD and Core2Duo? Are X2 processors different as well?

More about : true dual core

August 25, 2006 12:39:59 AM

Some people argue that if the two cores don't reside within the same die, they are not "true" dual cores. If you accept that definition, then the X2s, Core Duos and Core 2 Duos are "true." I couldn't care less if the cores reside on opposite ends of the motherboard as long as they deliver the required performance.

On the other hand Pentium Ds and Athlon X2s use separate L2 caches per core, whereas Yonah (Core Duo) and Conroe (Core 2 Duo) use a unified cache. In that sense they are "truer" dual cores than the X2s or PDs.

Many of the same people who complain that the Pentium D is not "true" dual core have decided that it's perfectly acceptable for AMD to "slap" two Athlon FXs in the same motherboard using two separate sockets, like with the upcoming 4x4 platform. It was bad when Intel did it using only one socket but it's OK for AMD to do the same thing but requiring two HUGE 940 pin AM2 sockets. Not only that, but they continue to spread misinformation about the Intel CPUs that do meet their definition of "true". For instance, I have seen AMD fanboys openly state that Yonah and Conroe are not "true" even though they both are according to their very own definition.
August 25, 2006 2:30:52 AM

My, my... someone got up on the wrong side of the Intel Fanboy bed this morning :lol: 
Just kidding.
Related resources
August 25, 2006 2:37:53 AM

Fact is Core2Duo is in every way better then X2. If you’re starting from ground zero, that’s the best way to go. AMD will not be out with its challenger until next year.
If you were up-grading from a single core 64 then I would recommend going X2 as prices have halved.

Both are Dual Core.
August 25, 2006 2:45:35 AM

The only validity I would give to the concept of "True" and "not true" dual core is when comparing a single core Hyperthreading CPU which only appears to have two processors with one that has two distinct cores in it.

Otherwise it is smoke up your tailpipe.
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2006 2:49:00 AM

Quote:
Many of the same people who complain that the Pentium D is not "true" dual core have decided that it's perfectly acceptable for AMD to "slap" two Athlon FXs in the same motherboard using two separate sockets, like with the upcoming 4x4 platform. It was bad when Intel did it using only one socket but it's OK for AMD to do the same thing but requiring two HUGE 940 pin AM2 sockets. Not only that, but they continue to spread misinformation...

Wow! That is so far off base....might want to check your facts...and you complain about AMD fanboys spreading misinformation...tsk, tsk...
!