GA-965P-DQ6 Memory Voltage

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
OK so i was just simply wondering what the default memory voltage on the DQ6 MB is as in the bios it dosent tell you what the memory voltage is just how much you are overvolting it from the stock voltage. now inorder to get my memory to run at its specified timings (4-4-4-12) stable at my over clock (2.7GHz on my E6600 memory speed running at 450MHz) i needed to set the MB overvolt to 0.325 and i wanted to know if thats 0.325 over my memorys standard voltage of 2.15 of if it is 0.325 over the MB default of lets say 1.8 (going off of said DS3 voltages) which would bring it to around its stock voltage. all of my system specs are in my sig.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
OK so i was just simply wondering what the default memory voltage on the DQ6 MB is as in the bios it dosent tell you what the memory voltage is just how much you are overvolting it from the stock voltage. now inorder to get my memory to run at its specified timings (4-4-4-12) stable at my over clock (2.7GHz on my E6600 memory speed running at 450MHz) i needed to set the MB overvolt to 0.325 and i wanted to know if thats 0.325 over my memorys standard voltage of 2.15 of if it is 0.325 over the MB default of lets say 1.8 (going off of said DS3 voltages) which would bring it to around its stock voltage. all of my system specs are in my sig.

there is a new BIOS update for this mobo "F3" get it at gigabyte site it ment to fix memory probs

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Yeah but aren't they suppose to detect what the voltage is supposed to be for that memory? I think mine is supposed to be 2.1V but the board sets it to 1.8V. Im dubious about changing it due to system instabilities. Also, I couldnt find a list of what its supposed to be set at, annoyingly.

Hando567, you're running a similar setup to mine. I can I ask, what is your cpu fan speed and temperatures like? I'm on beta BIOS F4c and it's still something not right, the fan changes speed dramatically and temperatures change just as dramatically. The fan is constantly stopping for several seconds at seemingly random times. Basically, I want to find out of this is a general error with the board or my setup specifically - so far Gigabyte haven't been able to give me any answers.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Well I read it to the end, nice guide.

I disabled as much as possible. Now for Smart Fan... what is it, where is it? Fan control is set to auto, and method is set to auto as well. Thats the only thing I can find in my bios with fan on it. So should they be completely disabled? That somehow seems risky. I'm going to give it a shot but hmm, I'd be happy to get this fan running right at stock speeds, let alone overclocked.

Edit: Well, its now running at 1700RPM constantly lol, wtg, thats half solved my problem. Now if only I could get it to run at its normal speed!? hehe. Btw, setting my voltages high in memory gives a DDR18V (something) as a FAIL in the bios. This doesn't seem like a good thing either.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Not so good, I managed to get the timings at 4-4-4-12 (at 2V)in F3 and it got through Prime95 great, but then experianced crashes in other areas. At 2.15V in F4C, it gave that horrible fail error I mentioned in the previous post and it wouldnt get through 30 seconds of Prime95. Hmm, but it seems to possible be going ok now.

And yes Im a complete moron I didn't read all the manual for the motherboard. But its good that someone did :D :oops:

For solving my fan problems, you have become my favourite forum user on any forum, ever!

Edit: 2.1V is not stable at all, not even close. 2.05V seems to be nicely stable though, hmm maybe not, that didnt last long in Prime95 either. Also the program you recomended in the guide gives off ran speeds that are several times greater than what ET5 say, as well as a Vcore2 value of 2.06V (this better be wrong lol).

Further Edit: corret timings of 4-4-4-12 are unstable at even 2.0V. Wont get past Prime95, no matter what. Either its the bios, motherboard, or memory. Going to try memtest86 on a floppy disk, as I dont have a cd-burner :?

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
not thats a common thing with the fan speed control set to auto because if the temps get too low the MB shuts the fan down.(told to me by gigabyte customer service rep.) My temps are like 34idle 40 load at the most. fan RPM runs around 700-1200 depending on temp and shuts off occasionally. i have no reason to turn off fan control since my temps are so low and it seems to be doing its job. ans speed fan does give you bad RPM readings i trid it aswell and it didnt work so i use ET5 for my temps and RPMs. also im using F3 Bios and my memory runs very stable at 4-4-4-12 when i give them 2.125V (rated at 2.1 but im running it OCed to DDR2 900) and i have my proc OCed to 2.7 BTW. if you need more infor from me just ask. and sorry for taking so long to respond i posted this so long ago i figured it was dead :D.

PS where do you get the F4 and other beta bios updates?

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Hmm, well, I would expect then that my problem very well maybe the beta BIOS I'm using. I got it from Gigabyte technical support, among many others. I'm awaiting a new one, that will hopefully fix some of the problems its having - not least it misslables some things in advanced settings.

If you can raise your ram voltage to 2.15V with good Patriot memory, then I should be able to do the same with XMS2. But I shouldn't complain too much, its been really stable over the past 24 hours (no crashes or errors) at 1.95V and 4-4-4-12. I just don't see any point me overclocking it with this bios.

Thanks for the info on the fan, at least I know its not just me. Fortunately, QST appears to be running ok now, temps this morning aren't getting past 25C and yesterday low 40's under high load - so I'm happy. It was too noisy under 1700RPM speeds anyway.

I would be interested to know what FSB you can get yours running at, and with what voltage changes. I experimented with getting the FSB up to 400, running the cpu mulitplier at x8 and ram multiplier at x2, it wouldn't finish loading windows at that setup. IIRC, the maximum was a FSB of 360, with x9 and x2 (under F3 I think). Like I said though, no point me pushing it any further until they get something stable out long run.

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Already done wusy, I did not get on well with the standard Intel HSF at first, temps of around 90C - so that pad has long gone and its properly sealed with thermal paste now :) (wasn't seated right)

Ok, 4-5-4-12 at 1.95V, I can try that. But don't forget its stable at 4-4-4-12 right now, I presume you are suggesting 4-5-4-12 for the overclock?

Leaving the multiplier at x2 means I am limited to 720MHz for for the memory as it will not do a 400MHz FSB. I'll do as you say here over the next few days, and everything else in the guide again, with either the F3 BIOS or hopefully a new one from Gigabyte.

Anyway, IIRC, I managed 9x360 and it was stable under F3, I just didn't like the temps reaching just over 50C with both cores maxed, and because it wasn't stable with x2.5. That was before I did what you said with the fan control though, which improved temps by nearly -10C. With your suggestion for memory timings I'll try it all again anyways (and with the x2 mem).

Sheesh, I'm exhausting myself just talking about this - getting in a mental stew. I finally got the system stable with everything at stock, so I'm going to enjoy that for a few days :D

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
yes stock intel HSF and at this time i dont really wanna raise my speeds anymore until i get some better cooling solutiouns for both my memory and my processor. but if the results im having now are any indication i can go much much higher in speed (i also have my voltages in FSB and VCORE 1 notch up from stock and it seems to help my stability as i have NO problems at all with ANYTHING crashing and no memtest errors or anything.)

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Oh sounds really good. Any chance you can post your exact changes? All the voltage changes, memory, frquencies, motherboard options etc (might be a big ask). Or was it basically the same as what wusy said to do on his O/C C2D thread?

I'm interested to find out if Gigabyte have fixed the problem stopping the FSB from reaching 400MHz or not.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
sure just give me abit until i restart again then ill go into my bios and double check to make sure i get it right. lol.

EDIT: ok i got it here is my settings under M.I.T in the bios

Clock ratio at standard 9x
CPU host frequency at 300
C.I.A 2 Disabled
System Memory Multiplier is set to auto
DRAM timing is manual (only availible after you hit Ctrl + F1 as are the next 4 settings)
CAS# Latency - 4
RAS# to CAS# Delay - 4
RAS# Precharge - 4
Cycle Time (Tras) - 12
Memory performance enhancement - Disabled
DIMM overvoltage +0.325V
FSB Overvoltage +0.05V
CPU Overvoltage(Vcore) set to 1.33125V (normal is 1.32500V according to MOBO) although CPU-Z its set at 1.296V

and that should be it but if you need any other specific setting let me know (PS all other memory timings are set to auto.)

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Gotcha, very useful. Those settings will cause me to fail to start windows under the current BIOS F4C. I really should go back to F3 and try those exact settings.

Thanks very much Hando :D

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
no youre right i was definately thinking system memory multiplier. I dont know how i came up with RAM to host frequency but somehow i did. yeah system memory multiplier is what i meant. ive updated the above post accordintly. sorry for the mistake.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
wusy you seem to know hardware pretty well and i dont wanna make a new post for this (plus ive read that you dont read about the "check system before i buy" threads) but im helping a friend spec out a system and i know whatg a good value and whats not and whats reliable but im a bit stuck on the MOBO as this is gonna be a budget system ($800). so heres the specs let me know about changes. anyone else can respond too just keep it educated if you can.
(i will post newegg links as that is where it will all be purchased from)

Core 2 Duo E6400 - 235.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004

XFX 7600GT - 149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150182

1GB Patriot DDR2 800 memory - 126.99 (111.99 after rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220143

XCLIO 3060 Black case - 40.99 (he wants the 250mm fan)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811103003

FSP group 400W PSU - 41.50 (just needs 400W and under $50)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

now heres the hard part, the MOBO we were looking at these 3. but other suggestions are welcomed just needs to be under 150 and the 965P chipset(he dosent want crossfire or SLI as he will never use it and he likes the 965 features better than the 975X)

Abit AB9/AB9 PRO (any differences other than sata ports because it seems like the only diff is the pro has more sata.) - 136.99/157.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127005 - AB9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127004 - AB9 PRO

ECS P965T - A 99.99 (79.99 after rebate) this seems like most likely because of price but the board needs to be able to OC fairly well
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135022

Gigabyte DS3 - 149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012

Let me know if this is good and which motherboard is best. personally im leaning towards the AB9(not pro) but he likes the ECS better because of the price.

Thanks

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
ok ill let him know the AB9 is best. also as far as memory goes for right now both of us think 1GB is sufficient as he will be upgrading around christmas sometime but if 2GB is absolutely neccessarry right now its doable. oh yeah and i dont wanna go cheap with PSU already had a bad experience with that when it basically caught on fire under heavy load :lol: thats why i went with a somewhat name brand thats still affordable this time.

EDIT: wusy regarding your sig, do you really still run an athlon XP? if so which one? (my previous system was an athlon XP 2800+)

Rocxylemmon

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Thank You all for the replys and the responces to this board cause with out it I would still be having problems with this but I was able to suscessfully get my memory to work at 800Mhz at PC6400 speeds which is 400.1Mhz in CPU-Z but it still says PC5400 but as long as the mhz are at 400Mhz I know it's working and the voltage on my GA-965P-DQ6 is now set to manual and at +0.35=2.15V overvoltage and then I changed (SPD) from 667Mhz to 800Mhz (Manual) and thats a 3.00X Multaplier in the bios.

Ctrl+F1 shows the tweaks so remember this :)

Thanks Again Guys and I have Learned Somthing on overclocking thanks to Toms Hardware Foums :) Thanks Tom!