New self builder about to join your ranks

pauljuno

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Well ... after waiting two months for a Dell XPS 700 that didn't arrive, cancelled that order. Then placed an order with Alienware for a machine with a delivery time of a little over two weeks ... now I'm being told that that will take about two months before they start shipping because of a lack of cases.

That's it ... I'm building my owned darned machine. That's my rant for the day. Now on to reading the vast amounts of wisdom contained within these boards/articles and then it's off to ordering the parts and building it myself. Hopefully I'll get a little education out of it as well!

Thanks in advance for all the questions I'm going to need to ask!

Paul

stallyn

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Paul, I can only say, you will be glad doing so, custom is the best way to go, since the other companies are propietary and lacking quality in some areas, I built many custom machines and they are rock solid and upgradable, Good Luck :D

towely

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Awesome call, dude. The xps700 is just a shiny case filled with second-rate proprietary components. I breifly considered one, but after talking to a sales rep who knew NOTHING about the components utlized by dell (RAM, HDD, Mobo, etc...) I realised that a "high-performance" dell is the epitome of an oxymoron.

Build yourself. Handpick each component. Personalize your PC. And get a feeling of great satisfaction when you put it all together and it runs like a dream.

You've certainly come to the right place :)

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Awesome call, dude. The xps700 is just a shiny case filled with second-rate proprietary components. I breifly considered one, but after talking to a sales rep who knew NOTHING about the components utlized by dell (RAM, HDD, Mobo, etc...) I realised that a "high-performance" dell is the epitome of an oxymoron.

Build yourself. Handpick each component. Personalize your PC. And get a feeling of great satisfaction when you put it all together and it runs like a dream.

You've certainly come to the right place :)

I enjoy feelings of great satisfaction. :O