Sign in with
Your question

which is best Intel P-II 450 or AMD- duron 750 ??

Last response: in CPUs
August 25, 2006 1:30:26 AM

hi friends
i don;t know much about CPU Pls guide
i need a guidence for you expert people my two CPU i have to leave one i am confuced which has better performance as per CPU level

is cache makes any difference in spped??

i have intel P-II 450mmx, Slot -1 , 512 KB cache , Cpu
another is AMD Duron - 750, D750AUT18 with slot - A (soket - 462)
i need to keep any one with home use and some what of 3D -CAD and design perpose

any one can guide me which cpu gives me best performance and which should i keep ???

IS AMD- Duron AMD Duron - 750, D750AUT18, As equal as intel P-III 500 ????? is that true ??

thanks for your advice

Nil - toronto
August 25, 2006 1:34:48 AM

Duron is to Athlon as celeron is to pentium III.

Quote:
hi friends
i don;t know much about CPU Pls guide
i need a guidence for you expert people my two CPU i have to leave one i am confuced which has better performance as per CPU level

is cache makes any difference in spped??

i have intel P-II 450mmx, Slot -1 , 512 KB cache , Cpu
another is AMD Duron - 750, D750AUT18 with slot - A (soket - 462)
i need to keep any one with home use and some what of 3D -CAD and design perpose

any one can guide me which cpu gives me best performance and which should i keep ???

IS AMD- Duron AMD Duron - 750, D750AUT18, As equal as intel P-III 500 ????? is that true ??

thanks for your advice

Nil - toronto
August 25, 2006 1:35:56 AM

LOL, the Duron will rape the Pentium 2. In addition to a faster FPU, it has integerSSE, 3dnow and MMX. The p2 only has MMX.
Related resources
August 25, 2006 2:25:06 AM

Duron wins easily
August 25, 2006 2:30:03 AM

oh.. here i thought this was another thread dragged up from 2000... oh well the Duron Wins Hands Down. However, y r u using cad on that again? Any new pc would be better.
August 25, 2006 2:55:02 AM

Quote:

The Duron gives the best performance. You shouldn't keep either cpu. Spend some money and join the 21st century. You can get a working computer from Cyberpower for a very small amount of money that will smoke those old chips so bad that you'll realize that the only thing they're good for is museum pieces or target practice.
August 25, 2006 3:56:34 AM

Unless you are running some ancient CAD program or are doing really simple designs, both CPUs are going to be crummy.

I tried running the student version of Solidworks on my old Pentium 3 system about three years ago and it seemed slow.

I strongly recommend buying a newer computer if you are doing any serious work with CAD. Modern CAD software also requires tons of RAM. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1GB.

I do agree that the AMD is probably the better of the two.
August 25, 2006 10:03:47 AM

Quote:
Duron is to Athlon as celeron is to pentium III.

Wrong: While durons competed with P3s for the same frequency, celerons performance is around 2/3 of an equally clocked P3/P4. Durons are much nearer to Athlosn than celerons to Pentiums.
August 25, 2006 11:43:26 AM

I'll give you real world example:
I have an old IBM pIII-450 with 128Mb SDRAM
and
Duron 1200+ with 256Mb SDRAM

The first I use for Internet router at home and I run Fedora Linux with Gnome with little or no problems at all, although it uses swap space activly.

The attempt to run Linux on the second machine (the Duron) was a fiasco.
It runs SEVERAL times slower, with GIMP loading for a minute or so.

Ok, pentuim II doesn't have SSE as the Pentium III, but if you use older programs (as you probably do), you shouldn't noiice any difference.

Don't trust all the AMD fanboys around, and just go try it youself. Try doing same things on both and decide which is more responsive.
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2006 11:47:36 AM

LOL!

Are you actually attempting to claim a P3 450 will give a Duron 1200 with twice the RAM a run for it's money?!!

Good one...
August 25, 2006 11:49:18 AM

The Duron-750 is twice faster than the P2-450
August 25, 2006 12:02:00 PM

Quote:
LOL!

Are you actually attempting to claim a P3 450 will give a Duron 1200 with twice the RAM a run for it's money?!!

Good one...

The AMD fanboys I told you about.

I'm not telling YOU anything.
It's a fact.
If the machine was mine, i would kick it out of the window.
If you put a row CPU benchmark the Duron will win for sure.
But in the real world... things are a little different and that's obvious with old machines.
August 25, 2006 12:18:55 PM

If you are serious on Cad use, check your version and requirements. Both duron and PII will not handle any newer version of the software, specially if the rest of your system also have the same techlogy level... more RAM , HD and a professional VGA as quadro fx500 (at least) to have your projects renderized well... if these are your options... well maybe you should consider clay modeling for 3D ....
Duron have better performance than pII...but also too week for CAD
August 25, 2006 12:24:32 PM

Quote:
But in the real world... things are a little different and that's obvious with old machines.

Your Duron is burned up and the P2 still working; That is what you mean with real world contidions :?: :roll:

Didn't find a 750MHz but this might refresh your memory as well:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2001q4/value-1.1ghz/index...
August 25, 2006 12:26:09 PM

Quote:
If you are serious on Cad use, check your version and requirements. Both duron and PII will not handle any newer version of the software, specially if the rest of your system also have the same techlogy level... more RAM , HD and a professional VGA as quadro fx500 (at least) to have your projects renderized well... if these are your options... well maybe you should consider clay modeling for 3D ....
Duron have better performance than pII...but also too week for CAD

Don't worry about that: I've had AutoCAD 2004 working on a 333MHz Celeron (Mendocino) and it worked pretty smooth on 2D. You had to wait a bit for files to be loaded but unce they did it was OK. Once I finished the 3D of a residential building, in a single day on that thing :lol: 
August 25, 2006 12:29:16 PM

Quote:
I'll give you real world example:
I have an old IBM pIII-450 with 128Mb SDRAM
and
Duron 1200+ with 256Mb SDRAM

The first I use for Internet router at home and I run Fedora Linux with Gnome with little or no problems at all, although it uses swap space activly.

The attempt to run Linux on the second machine (the Duron) was a fiasco.
It runs SEVERAL times slower, with GIMP loading for a minute or so.

Ok, pentuim II doesn't have SSE as the Pentium III, but if you use older programs (as you probably do), you shouldn't noiice any difference.

Don't trust all the AMD fanboys around, and just go try it youself. Try doing same things on both and decide which is more responsive.

Just saying ur a computer noob, how can u configure the Duron 1200 with 256MB RAM to run slower than a Pentium III 450? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  nice work man i have to say, even the pros couldnt achieve such "results"
August 25, 2006 12:30:15 PM

if this is the case then you dont know what the heck your doing . cause theres no way the p2 should be faster the ram alone would be a huge differnce...

sounds to me like one of the other components in the system is a pos.

especialy if you use a shit motherboard with a good cpu . you still get shit in teh end
August 25, 2006 12:39:22 PM

here's a link of benchmark between Duron 600, Celeron 600, and Petium 3 600 (Coppermine)

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/cel600vsdur600/page3.asp

This 1 is a closer look at the Duron 750's performance comparing to the big old boys back then

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1314&p=4

I remember those Athlon days, owning an AMD Athlon Slot A was as hot as having Britany Spears in bed back in 1999 - 2000... 8)

They were benchmarking all the Manufacturers' PCs, Dell's Pentium III series got seriously smoked out by Gateway's Athlon Series... the comparison was sensational, a Athlon 500 / 600 was out performing P3 700 / 800s if i remembered currectly.

Duron was only introduced and aimed to destroy the Celerons to gain budget PC market shares, and boy, did they do a great job to make Intel look bad those days.

I have my Athlon Slot A 800 hang on my wall in the office to remind myself and my friends the service the CPU gave us on games and applications 8) 8)

Fanboy or not, now Core 2 Duo is some impressive achievement by intel, and it is only doing consumers goods, because look at the Pentium D, Athlon 64 and X2 prices falls. have u ever seen a CPU price fall so much in such short period for the last 5 or 10 years?

Roll on AMD K8L, if it will be amazing, then we shud expect C2D prices fall and we can all get a few :D  8)
August 25, 2006 12:53:20 PM

Ok, you know that 1200+ actualy runs at 892MHz, right?
The 1200+ rating was made to compete with P4, not P3, so it is irrelative to this situation.

Then, I don't like working on such a slow machine either.
The chipset is some SiS cheapy on a Elitegroup board (Pfu!).
The CPU is directly ironed on the board, there is no socket. It's made for asian markets and I don't have an idea how it got to Europe and who bought it in the first place.
It's made to be cheap, very cheap.
And the video is integrated too, so it takes several MB RAM off (12 or so).

So its really amazing how Elitegroup (not me) achieved this.

But in the end, a machine with more and faster RAM, twice the CPU clock and faster HDD is obviously slower than the old IBM.
August 25, 2006 12:59:36 PM

Quote:
The 1200+ rating was made to compete with P4, not P3, so it is irrelative to this situation.

Then, I don't like working on such a slow machine either.
The chipset is some SiS cheapy on a Elitegroup board (Pfu!).
The CPU is directly ironed on the board, there is no socket. It's made for asian markets and I don't have an idea how it got to Europe and who bought it in the first place.
It's made to be cheap, very cheap.
And the video is integrated too, so it takes several MB RAM off (12 or so).

So its really amazing how Elitegroup (not me) achieved this.

But in the end, a machine with more and faster RAM, twice the CPU clock and faster HDD is obviously slower than the old IBM.

I think either you have wrong settings or there are software problems related to your Duron system.
August 25, 2006 1:01:33 PM

Quote:

first of all, that again prooved ur a noob who doesnt know his own ABC. ever heard of FSB??

and second, Man be responsible for what u say, and dont say if u dont know.

Duron is a little sister to Athlon, and Athlon / Duron family did not have the performance rating like the Athlon XP family did.

The Athlon Family was in direct competition to Pentium III family, not Pentium 4, that's their bigger brother Athlon XP's job and from then, u see the term of 1500+, 1600+, 1700+, 1800+ and so on until the 3200+ until the A64 3000+ takes over for the next generation...

If u see a Duron 1200, it means that Duron CPU runs at 1.2GHz, or easier for u, 1200MHz. if it doesnt run as what it says, then either your CPU Multiplier is wrong, or your FSB is wrong.

Not that u will understand what a CPU Multiplier or FSB is. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
August 25, 2006 1:16:15 PM

Strange you say that to an computer engineer...specialized in hardware.

I'm lazy to post screenshots of the boot screen saying 1200+
But otherwise you may need a doctor to put your eyeballs back in...

If you read more carefully you will notice me mentioning Asia markets.
Then, if you are not such a wise guy, you will find that such models were marketed with plus ratings there.

Ohh, I forgot about the FSB
By default, it runs at 105Mhz FSB and cannot be changed through the BIOS.
The multiplier is 8,5, which gives you...oh my gosh...892 Mhz.

Surprized? I'm not you are...
August 25, 2006 1:35:59 PM

no no seriously, post the screenshot

and have u tried multiplier 12x ? and which computer engineer specialized in hardware that cant get a Duron 1200 with 256MB RAM beats a Pentium 3 450MHz with 128MB RAM?

u jackass "computer engineer" :lol:  :lol:  stop making a fool of urself.

HERE IS A GAME - SPOT THE DURON 1200+ (not Duron 1200, remember the + sign is essential)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2003/02/17/benchmark_marathon/page23.html

If you have any complaints, please forward your complaints to Tomshardware. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
August 25, 2006 1:54:20 PM

Quote:

and have u tried multiplier 12x ? and which computer engineer specialized in hardware that cant get a Duron 1200 with 256MB RAM beats a Pentium 3 450MHz with 128MB RAM?

HERE IS A GAME - SPOT THE DURON 1200+ (not Duron 1200, remember the + sign is essential)

If you have any complaints, please forward your complaints to Tomshardware. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Well, I said I want to kick the computer out of the window.
Now I have a better idea - smashing it with your head.
It's so empty you wont feel anything even after 1200+ hits and I will still get rid of the machine
August 25, 2006 1:57:05 PM

your such an idiot u cant back up what the bullshit came out of your mouth now u want to smash that Duron 1200MHz machine (which you only managed to boot at 892MHz, lol :lol:  fool) into me??

jesus go to a rehab centre and get some help. and which jackass University qualified u as a "computer engineer specialized in hardware" anyways??

Surely i wont send my kids there in the future. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
August 25, 2006 2:04:34 PM

Quote:
your such an idiot u cant back up what the bullshit came out of your mouth now u want to smash that Duron 1200MHz machine (which you only managed to boot at 892MHz, lol :lol:  fool) into me??

jesus go to a rehab centre and get some help. and which jackass University qualified u as a "computer engineer specialized in hardware" anyways??

Surely i wont send my kids there in the future. :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

No, you got me wrong :lol: 
I want to use your head as a hammer, becauce it's so hard and full ot heavy bullshit...

I'm so pissed off loosers like you, that don't ARGUE, but STATE their ultimate knowlege...

You are so far away from reality lost someware in WoW and you sweet AMD system...
August 25, 2006 2:10:44 PM

why do u need to argue if u give solid information and facts. i dont play WoW, but i heard its a great game

so please, u got it all wrong again, stop thinking u know it all, infact, u know jackshit except ur little gang style of "using people's head as hammer"

this forum is way way beyond your level and reach, i suggest you look for another forum where people will warship u when u tell them "Duron 1200+ boots at 892MHz with 256MB RAM and got creamed by a Pentium 3 450MHz with 128MB RAM" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I dont have ultimate knowledge, thats why i hang out here learning a lot useful things. but when i see something funny (which in most case in this topic, the funny shit came from u) i would like to point out. and if the author of the funny stuff retaliate in a hostile maner, then its time to strike back! :wink:
August 25, 2006 2:22:41 PM

Quote:
why do u need to argue if u give solid information and facts. i dont play WoW, but i heard its a great game

so please, u got it all wrong again, stop thinking u know it all, infact, u know jackshit except ur little gang style of "using people's head as hammer"

this forum is way way beyond your level and reach, i suggest you look for another forum where people will warship u when u tell them "Duron 1200+ boots at 892MHz with 256MB RAM and got creamed by a Pentium 3 450MHz with 128MB RAM" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I dont have ultimate knowledge, thats why i hang out here learning a lot useful things. but when i see something funny (which in most case in this topic, the funny **** came from u) i would like to point out. and if the author of the funny stuff retaliate in a hostile maner, then its time to strike back! :wink:

Do I get signs of dilution and schizophrenia in your statements?

You are the one with the hostile maner, my boy (or girl), since you firt post in this topic.

And I gave you facts that you didn't even tried to recognize.

Pity I don't have a camera to shoot the boot screen right now.
August 25, 2006 2:32:24 PM

Duron 750 is alot faster(guessing around 66% faster)
August 25, 2006 2:37:18 PM

Sorry to step into your friendly discussion but is this what you two are debating over?

Duron 1200
August 25, 2006 2:41:40 PM

even if u type DURON 1200+ in www.google.com u would not get a result matching DURON 1200+, instead all the return results are DURON 1200...

has the world all the sudden gone mad on u or it is just yourself in no man's land?

if you have said Athlon XP1200+ it is well believable, as the XP Rating drops or increases by the CPU clock frequency. But as for Duron, there is no +, NO +, until u proove me wrong.

Or any1 else, if u can get a picture, or a screenshot, or a prooven fact that there is Duron 1xxx+ or Duron 700+ etc, i would be gladly admit defeat.
August 25, 2006 2:42:28 PM

W got a bunch of old Duron 700's in at work and they are better then the intel chips of the same vintage...
August 25, 2006 2:46:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry to step into your friendly discussion but is this what you two are debating over?

Duron 1200

No.
It is a Spitfire core, Model 3
August 25, 2006 2:52:20 PM

haha this is the best thread so far today . i love it when people argue over 5 year old technology that doesnt matter.

heck i have a friend that can run windows xp on a 486 with 64 megs of ram! beat that !

lol
August 25, 2006 3:09:22 PM

Quote:
even if u type DURON 1200+ in www.google.com u would not get a result matching DURON 1200+, instead all the return results are DURON 1200...

has the world all the sudden gone mad on u or it is just yourself in no man's land?

if you have said Athlon XP1200+ it is well believable, as the XP Rating drops or increases by the CPU clock frequency. But as for Duron, there is no +, NO +, until u proove me wrong.

Or any1 else, if u can get a picture, or a screenshot, or a prooven fact that there is Duron 1xxx+ or Duron 700+ etc, i would be gladly admit defeat.

This is the mainbord
http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7sem_v3.html

I made 2 shots with my phone but will post them tomorrow, because I dont have a cable or Bluetooth here

Also see here:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=51986
it's from 2003, so I didn't fake it just now.
August 25, 2006 3:11:08 PM

XP pro or home? the minimum requirment for XP is 64MB RAM, once u have that and patiece, ur ok :D  never tried on a 486, but it certainly runs on a 233MMX !!

Back to Duron 1200 !!! any luck of finding Duron 1200+? or Duron 700+? 800+? 1300+? 1400+? 8)
August 25, 2006 3:52:24 PM

Quote:

Well, I said I want to kick the computer out of the window.
Now I have a better idea - smashing it with your head.
It's so empty you wont feel anything even after 1200+ hits and I will still get rid of the machine
How old are you? 12 or 13?

Anyway, it's entirely possible that your duron setup sucks, but it's probably because you screwed something up... not because the P3 is faster. You know, I think I have a story that illustrates my point perfectly:

So, I have a Dodge Viper that totally sucks (well, I did some maintenance on it and removed a few things, but I had a shop manual so I'm a professional!). I totally have this Pinto that absolutely rocks all over the Viper. I think I'm going to use my viper to run into anybody that I don't like and that will get rid of it and then I'll be laughing for sure! No more Viper, and hello Pinto! Or, maybe I'll just threaten to hit somebody on the Internet because that will make me feel cool!
August 25, 2006 4:35:10 PM

Quote:

This is the mainbord
http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7sem_v3.html

I made 2 shots with my phone but will post them tomorrow, because I dont have a cable or Bluetooth here

Also see here:

OK, I love this thread. The flaming, the anger, everything about it is wonderful.
You guys made me make my first post on this forum, congratulations!
So here's the deal.

Gvaley - your processor is running at an irregular bus speed, no? was it 105 mhz? Your FSB is overclocked 5 MHZ more than it's supposed to.
Factory specifications on your sytem is a (EVERYONE READ)
Duron 850MHZ CPU, 100MHZ FSB, with a 8.5x modifier. Overclocked to 105MHZ FSB, that gives you a total of: 892.5, rounded to 893. you DO NOT have a PR rating on your processor, you DO NOT have a Duron 1200+.

READ:
The Inquirer - March 2003

So that leads to the handy conclusion that...
You were successfully Pwned on your purchase. Congrats.

That successfully ends this heated quarrel amongst child.
August 25, 2006 4:39:52 PM

Quote:
LOL, the Duron will rape the Pentium 2. In addition to a faster FPU, it has integerSSE, 3dnow and MMX. The p2 only has MMX.

Exactly. Duron ftw. If the question was K6-2 vs Pentium II, then the Pentium II, with it's half-speed L2 cache and piplined FPU would be better, but the Duron 750 is a very strong processor, much better than any Pentium II or Pre-Coppermine Pentium III.
August 25, 2006 4:43:48 PM

Reading that old thred.... Ya I have sceen some combo boards witht the cpu glued on that say one thing but have a different cpu on them so it souns much better than it is; however, the number attachd is their brand rating not any thing to do with speed.... Mostly saw that with the xp1800-2100 chips tho...
August 25, 2006 4:47:38 PM

Quote:
OK, I love this thread. The flaming, the anger, everything about it is wonderful.
You guys made me make my first post on this forum, congratulations!
So here's the deal.

Gvaley - your processor is running at an irregular bus speed, no? was it 105 mhz? Your FSB is overclocked 5 MHZ more than it's supposed to.
Factory specifications on your sytem is a (EVERYONE READ)
Duron 850MHZ CPU, 100MHZ FSB, with a 8.5x modifier. Overclocked to 105MHZ FSB, that gives you a total of: 892.5, rounded to 893. you DO NOT have a PR rating on your processor, you DO NOT have a Duron 1200+.

READ:
The Inquirer - March 2003

So that leads to the handy conclusion that...
You were successfully Pwned on your purchase. Congrats.

That successfully ends this heated quarrel amongst child.

well if u have made the post 2 hours earlier, the war would be ended back then 8) or will he die as a brave fighter?[/quote]
August 25, 2006 4:55:07 PM

Quote:

Actually Peter, your wrong about this. There is a Franken CPU of the Duron 1200+, sometimes called the 1200 Pro. It usually comes attatched to PC CHips mobos as an OEM CPU/Mobo combo, such as those sold through newegg. Here is a cpuz shot of one:
August 25, 2006 4:55:37 PM

Oh, look what I found, guys!

http://www.tweaktown.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-13122.html

Note, There is/was/has/will never be a Duron PRO.

a few vendors (ECS Elitegroup motherboards specifically mentioned for no apparent reason) saw fit to modify their own bios'es to read as AthlonXP's PR rating.

ECS CUSTOMIZED their bioses to read as a PRO1200+
They also customized their bioses to overclock (maybe by simple spread spectrum?) slightly, giving you an odd 105 FSB that you cannot alter, giving you an odd frequency reading of 892-893.

I do have some advice for you, though.
As a Computer Engineer that Specializes in Hardware, please remove your Duron system, pick it up, and use it as a hammer to your own head.

If a Hardware Specialist can't understand he was PUNKED in his transaction and bought a falsely branded system by unreliable manufacturers, if a Hardware Specialist can't understand you don't BUY cheap hardware components, IF A HARDWARE SPECIALIST CANNOT JUSTIFY HIS OWN STATEMENTS, CAUSES OR ACTIONS OF HIS OWN HARDWARE....

Please, allow Flamers like me to mock, embarrass and insult you on this public forum.
August 25, 2006 5:02:17 PM

read SuperK86's post and click the Link before u start making a fool of urself too...

Im not talking about what other people calling the CPU, im talking about the Official AMD namings.

you can call ur CPU "Paris Hilton" or "Hally Barry" or "Justin Timberlake" for all i care what turns you on.

But please just keep them to urself before we all know how little u actually know.
August 25, 2006 5:07:32 PM

Peter, the only fool here is you. If you act like a tool on this forum expect to be handled like one.
August 25, 2006 5:16:44 PM

joefriday, that picture link didn't work :( 

I do, however, like your rig. I've been dying to make myself an old-skool Super Socket 7 machine!
August 25, 2006 5:20:12 PM

Quote:
Also see here:

And if you read the whole thread you'd realize that the link you gave us presents the same argument (that there is no Duron 1200+) so that really gets you nowhere. "You are not a winner. Please try again."
Bottlecaps can be so heartless. At least they don't flat out call you a loser though. Someone would get sued over that.
Edit: I screwed up the quote and then it wouldn't let me access the Forumz for a few minutes.

-mcg
August 25, 2006 5:23:44 PM

Quote:

Gvaley, there is not such thing as a Duron 1200+ only 1200Mhz. The lowest + rating was 1500+ and only with the Athlon XP's not Duron. Follow the link to the chart. The chart shows the + ratings and there is none for the Durons. The only thing I can think of is some kind of bug with your bios that mabye made you think you had a Duron 1200+. I have seen a Bios that will not post right until updated. I hope this link helps you out. :wink:

http://images.tomshardware.com/images/tables/cpu_table_...
August 25, 2006 5:48:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Also see here:

And if you read the whole thread you'd realize that the link you gave us presents the same argument (that there is no Duron 1200+) so that really gets you nowhere. "You are not a winner. Please try again."
Bottlecaps can be so heartless. At least they don't flat out call you a loser though. Someone would get sued over that.

-mcg

hey man, get ur quote right, it wasn't me who posted that Forum link, it was the other guy who named himself gvaley !!! :cry: 
August 25, 2006 7:00:45 PM

Gotcha. I realized this almost as soon as I posted it, but I couldn't connect to the Forumz for some reason for a while afterwards. It was my own carlessness because I didn't delete enough of gvaley's post which I was quoting.

-mcg
!