which is best Intel P-II 450 or AMD- duron 750 ??

niljaviya

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
hi friends
i don;t know much about CPU Pls guide
i need a guidence for you expert people my two CPU i have to leave one i am confuced which has better performance as per CPU level

is cache makes any difference in spped??

i have intel P-II 450mmx, Slot -1 , 512 KB cache , Cpu
another is AMD Duron - 750, D750AUT18 with slot - A (soket - 462)
i need to keep any one with home use and some what of 3D -CAD and design perpose

any one can guide me which cpu gives me best performance and which should i keep ???

IS AMD- Duron AMD Duron - 750, D750AUT18, As equal as intel P-III 500 ????? is that true ??

thanks for your advice

Nil - toronto

Duron is to Athlon as celeron is to pentium III.

hi friends
i don;t know much about CPU Pls guide
i need a guidence for you expert people my two CPU i have to leave one i am confuced which has better performance as per CPU level

is cache makes any difference in spped??

i have intel P-II 450mmx, Slot -1 , 512 KB cache , Cpu
another is AMD Duron - 750, D750AUT18 with slot - A (soket - 462)
i need to keep any one with home use and some what of 3D -CAD and design perpose

any one can guide me which cpu gives me best performance and which should i keep ???

IS AMD- Duron AMD Duron - 750, D750AUT18, As equal as intel P-III 500 ????? is that true ??

thanks for your advice

Nil - toronto

weilin

Distinguished
oh.. here i thought this was another thread dragged up from 2000... oh well the Duron Wins Hands Down. However, y r u using cad on that again? Any new pc would be better.

sailer

Splendid

The Duron gives the best performance. You shouldn't keep either cpu. Spend some money and join the 21st century. You can get a working computer from Cyberpower for a very small amount of money that will smoke those old chips so bad that you'll realize that the only thing they're good for is museum pieces or target practice.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Unless you are running some ancient CAD program or are doing really simple designs, both CPUs are going to be crummy.

I tried running the student version of Solidworks on my old Pentium 3 system about three years ago and it seemed slow.

I strongly recommend buying a newer computer if you are doing any serious work with CAD. Modern CAD software also requires tons of RAM. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1GB.

I do agree that the AMD is probably the better of the two.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Duron is to Athlon as celeron is to pentium III.

Wrong: While durons competed with P3s for the same frequency, celerons performance is around 2/3 of an equally clocked P3/P4. Durons are much nearer to Athlosn than celerons to Pentiums.

gvaley

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I'll give you real world example:
I have an old IBM pIII-450 with 128Mb SDRAM
and
Duron 1200+ with 256Mb SDRAM

The first I use for Internet router at home and I run Fedora Linux with Gnome with little or no problems at all, although it uses swap space activly.

The attempt to run Linux on the second machine (the Duron) was a fiasco.
It runs SEVERAL times slower, with GIMP loading for a minute or so.

Ok, pentuim II doesn't have SSE as the Pentium III, but if you use older programs (as you probably do), you shouldn't noiice any difference.

Don't trust all the AMD fanboys around, and just go try it youself. Try doing same things on both and decide which is more responsive.

gvaley

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
LOL!

Are you actually attempting to claim a P3 450 will give a Duron 1200 with twice the RAM a run for it's money?!!

Good one...

The AMD fanboys I told you about.

I'm not telling YOU anything.
It's a fact.
If the machine was mine, i would kick it out of the window.
If you put a row CPU benchmark the Duron will win for sure.
But in the real world... things are a little different and that's obvious with old machines.

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If you are serious on Cad use, check your version and requirements. Both duron and PII will not handle any newer version of the software, specially if the rest of your system also have the same techlogy level... more RAM , HD and a professional VGA as quadro fx500 (at least) to have your projects renderized well... if these are your options... well maybe you should consider clay modeling for 3D ....
Duron have better performance than pII...but also too week for CAD

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If you are serious on Cad use, check your version and requirements. Both duron and PII will not handle any newer version of the software, specially if the rest of your system also have the same techlogy level... more RAM , HD and a professional VGA as quadro fx500 (at least) to have your projects renderized well... if these are your options... well maybe you should consider clay modeling for 3D ....
Duron have better performance than pII...but also too week for CAD

Don't worry about that: I've had AutoCAD 2004 working on a 333MHz Celeron (Mendocino) and it worked pretty smooth on 2D. You had to wait a bit for files to be loaded but unce they did it was OK. Once I finished the 3D of a residential building, in a single day on that thing :lol:

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I'll give you real world example:
I have an old IBM pIII-450 with 128Mb SDRAM
and
Duron 1200+ with 256Mb SDRAM

The first I use for Internet router at home and I run Fedora Linux with Gnome with little or no problems at all, although it uses swap space activly.

The attempt to run Linux on the second machine (the Duron) was a fiasco.
It runs SEVERAL times slower, with GIMP loading for a minute or so.

Ok, pentuim II doesn't have SSE as the Pentium III, but if you use older programs (as you probably do), you shouldn't noiice any difference.

Don't trust all the AMD fanboys around, and just go try it youself. Try doing same things on both and decide which is more responsive.

Just saying ur a computer noob, how can u configure the Duron 1200 with 256MB RAM to run slower than a Pentium III 450? :lol: :lol: :lol: nice work man i have to say, even the pros couldnt achieve such "results"

RedZone

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
if this is the case then you dont know what the heck your doing . cause theres no way the p2 should be faster the ram alone would be a huge differnce...

sounds to me like one of the other components in the system is a pos.

especialy if you use a shit motherboard with a good cpu . you still get shit in teh end

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
here's a link of benchmark between Duron 600, Celeron 600, and Petium 3 600 (Coppermine)

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/cel600vsdur600/page3.asp

This 1 is a closer look at the Duron 750's performance comparing to the big old boys back then

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1314&p=4

I remember those Athlon days, owning an AMD Athlon Slot A was as hot as having Britany Spears in bed back in 1999 - 2000... 8)

They were benchmarking all the Manufacturers' PCs, Dell's Pentium III series got seriously smoked out by Gateway's Athlon Series... the comparison was sensational, a Athlon 500 / 600 was out performing P3 700 / 800s if i remembered currectly.

Duron was only introduced and aimed to destroy the Celerons to gain budget PC market shares, and boy, did they do a great job to make Intel look bad those days.

I have my Athlon Slot A 800 hang on my wall in the office to remind myself and my friends the service the CPU gave us on games and applications 8) 8)

Fanboy or not, now Core 2 Duo is some impressive achievement by intel, and it is only doing consumers goods, because look at the Pentium D, Athlon 64 and X2 prices falls. have u ever seen a CPU price fall so much in such short period for the last 5 or 10 years?

Roll on AMD K8L, if it will be amazing, then we shud expect C2D prices fall and we can all get a few :D 8)

gvaley

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Ok, you know that 1200+ actualy runs at 892MHz, right?
The 1200+ rating was made to compete with P4, not P3, so it is irrelative to this situation.

Then, I don't like working on such a slow machine either.
The chipset is some SiS cheapy on a Elitegroup board (Pfu!).
The CPU is directly ironed on the board, there is no socket. It's made for asian markets and I don't have an idea how it got to Europe and who bought it in the first place.
It's made to be cheap, very cheap.
And the video is integrated too, so it takes several MB RAM off (12 or so).

So its really amazing how Elitegroup (not me) achieved this.

But in the end, a machine with more and faster RAM, twice the CPU clock and faster HDD is obviously slower than the old IBM.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
The 1200+ rating was made to compete with P4, not P3, so it is irrelative to this situation.

Then, I don't like working on such a slow machine either.
The chipset is some SiS cheapy on a Elitegroup board (Pfu!).
The CPU is directly ironed on the board, there is no socket. It's made for asian markets and I don't have an idea how it got to Europe and who bought it in the first place.
It's made to be cheap, very cheap.
And the video is integrated too, so it takes several MB RAM off (12 or so).

So its really amazing how Elitegroup (not me) achieved this.

But in the end, a machine with more and faster RAM, twice the CPU clock and faster HDD is obviously slower than the old IBM.

I think either you have wrong settings or there are software problems related to your Duron system.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

first of all, that again prooved ur a noob who doesnt know his own ABC. ever heard of FSB??

and second, Man be responsible for what u say, and dont say if u dont know.

Duron is a little sister to Athlon, and Athlon / Duron family did not have the performance rating like the Athlon XP family did.

The Athlon Family was in direct competition to Pentium III family, not Pentium 4, that's their bigger brother Athlon XP's job and from then, u see the term of 1500+, 1600+, 1700+, 1800+ and so on until the 3200+ until the A64 3000+ takes over for the next generation...

If u see a Duron 1200, it means that Duron CPU runs at 1.2GHz, or easier for u, 1200MHz. if it doesnt run as what it says, then either your CPU Multiplier is wrong, or your FSB is wrong.

Not that u will understand what a CPU Multiplier or FSB is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

gvaley

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Strange you say that to an computer engineer...specialized in hardware.

I'm lazy to post screenshots of the boot screen saying 1200+
But otherwise you may need a doctor to put your eyeballs back in...

If you read more carefully you will notice me mentioning Asia markets.
Then, if you are not such a wise guy, you will find that such models were marketed with plus ratings there.

Ohh, I forgot about the FSB
By default, it runs at 105Mhz FSB and cannot be changed through the BIOS.
The multiplier is 8,5, which gives you...oh my gosh...892 Mhz.

Surprized? I'm not you are...

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
no no seriously, post the screenshot

and have u tried multiplier 12x ? and which computer engineer specialized in hardware that cant get a Duron 1200 with 256MB RAM beats a Pentium 3 450MHz with 128MB RAM?

u jackass "computer engineer" :lol: :lol: stop making a fool of urself.

HERE IS A GAME - SPOT THE DURON 1200+ (not Duron 1200, remember the + sign is essential)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2003/02/17/benchmark_marathon/page23.html

If you have any complaints, please forward your complaints to Tomshardware. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gvaley

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
no no seriously, post the screenshot

and have u tried multiplier 12x ? and which computer engineer specialized in hardware that cant get a Duron 1200 with 256MB RAM beats a Pentium 3 450MHz with 128MB RAM?

u jackass "computer engineer" :lol: :lol: stop making a fool of urself.

HERE IS A GAME - SPOT THE DURON 1200+ (not Duron 1200, remember the + sign is essential)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2003/02/17/benchmark_marathon/page23.html

If you have any complaints, please forward your complaints to Tomshardware. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I said I want to kick the computer out of the window.
Now I have a better idea - smashing it with your head.
It's so empty you wont feel anything even after 1200+ hits and I will still get rid of the machine

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
your such an idiot u cant back up what the bullshit came out of your mouth now u want to smash that Duron 1200MHz machine (which you only managed to boot at 892MHz, lol :lol: fool) into me??

jesus go to a rehab centre and get some help. and which jackass University qualified u as a "computer engineer specialized in hardware" anyways??

Surely i wont send my kids there in the future. :lol: :lol: :lol: