Sign in with
Your question

PC to TV connection problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2006 1:51:16 AM

I have a GeForce 7600GT video card that came with a 9-pin to component video adapter which I use to run component cable to my TV so I can have video on both displays. Well when I use any of the display modes like single, clone or dual view, my normal monitor looks great. But my CRT TV only shows the background of my desktop and nothing else. I can run the display optimization on both displays to perfect my brightness and gamma colors. However, on my CRT TV the colors are horrible. When I bring up the gamma optimization utility, red looks like dark pink, blue looks dark white, green looks like dark red. Why funny thing is when I first put the image on the CRT TV I got normal colors but with only the desktop background like I have now. When I switched display modes, I got the horrible colors and I can't get rid of it. I am using a high quality component cable so I seriously doubt that is an issue and I have verified the cables are in the right places. Any ideas?

More about : connection problems

August 25, 2006 2:25:01 AM

i have a similar situation with a 32 inch hdtv and sli
my 68gt worked fine at 1176x834 or something close to that
i could see all desktop,icons, and startmenu.
but with sli well not so good

i have dvi s-video and component video
i have only tried the dvi as both 68gts have the same

anyone else
any suggestions
i would like some ideas as well
thanks
August 25, 2006 2:35:33 AM

DVI SUCKED when used with my LCD tv.
Strange DSUB worked A+
Not sure abt crt tho, the rez is really low on them. GFX card may not support those?
Related resources
August 25, 2006 2:49:13 AM

the native resolution of my tv is 1920x1080
it is crt
August 25, 2006 2:56:58 AM

Native Resolution doesn't really apply to CRT's. Those adapter tend give mixed results.
August 25, 2006 2:58:49 AM

not on mine
August 25, 2006 3:12:03 AM

Not on mine what, you said you only tried DVI which isn't an adpter.
August 25, 2006 4:36:59 AM

mine has dvi input the tv does
and the video card has dvi output

no adapter it is direct
August 25, 2006 5:17:33 AM

DVI comes in different flavors.
August 26, 2006 4:26:23 PM

So do you think that the maybe the problem is with the s-video to component adapter? Since I have DVI outputs, should I get a DVI to component cable instead?
August 26, 2006 5:15:01 PM

The problem is in the tv. CRT tv's process color and display pictures differently than normal computer monitors. If you want to see what I mean, take a magnifiying glass and look at the screen real close when there is only white on the screen. The pixels are shaped differently and also made differently for different purposes. This causes some odd things to happen when colors from a computer are trying to be displayed on the tv.

Interesting side note: Are you using component or are you using composite connections on your tv? This distinction can make quite a difference, as the signaling technologies from both are very different and if you plug comonent video plugs (blue, green, red) into composite (yello, white, red) connections, you only get one part of the picture.

And just so you know (in case that last part is not the case), I don't think you are stupid. I have just seen it done many times before. I did it personally once just to see what it would do. If you are still confused, I will be back later today.
August 26, 2006 5:27:09 PM

yeah I double checked that. I definitely have the cable in the correct component inputs. What was strange is that I got a normal looking screen at one point, but now it's horrible like I described above. plus for wahtever reason only the desktop background shows up. I can't even see the mouse on the TV. Got any other ideas?
August 26, 2006 6:19:01 PM

what kind of flavors

cherry
vannila
or what

there is only one dvi
August 26, 2006 6:20:26 PM

I have a 7600GT hooked up to my hitachi crt TV (65S500), using component connectors.

Could be a couple of issues.

1. Your TV's color, contrast, convergence, and/or brightness is way outta wack...thats how they come from the factory. Get it calibrated, if at all possible...or use a calib. disc such as avia. If you're daring, you can go into your sets service menu and do some calib. yourself.

2. If you don't have it connected directly (say, through a receiver), the pc will not recognize and apply the correct output settings upon start-up.

3. update your drivers.

4. turn off pc. set tv to the input pc is connected to. turn on pc. open nvidia control panel. go to display config. select monitor first plus hdtv. clone mode. go to tv & video in control panel. select component out, preferably 720P if your tv accepts it (to reduce flicker), otherwise 1080i.
apply settings. go to windows display settings and set your monitor back to its original res.

if that dosent work, post back and there are some other options that may just work.
August 26, 2006 6:25:00 PM

sound and visions hometheatre tune up is a good dvd
for adjusting color contrast and the like

also for surroundsound to
August 26, 2006 6:30:52 PM

oh i read too fast.
and btw your problem, judging from the colors you see on the creen, is that the card is outputting composite signals over your component connection. that happens when i switch to tv display, and i always have to go in to the nvidia control panel and change the output to component. you see, although it is connected component, the card can still output composite signals through component, sending no luminance/green through your green component cables...which is why you see red/pink/blue. You can do that with any component source, by unplugging the green cord.
hope this helps ya out a little...
you can still follow my above steps to achieve proper settings.

...and, you'll probably want to do dual view if your monitors res is different from your tv res. if they're the same, or both crt's, you'll probably want clone.

-Phil S
August 26, 2006 7:10:55 PM

Wow Phil thanks alot. I didn't know about the option to change inputs in the control panel. It turns out the only one that works and looks normal is 480i SDTV. The 2 that you suggested output and image that was scrolling rapidly with a bunch of red dots and it seemed very unstable. I don't know why this is.
I had to change the screen option to clone from dual because in dual the TV screen was off to right of the monitor (all the icons and toolbars were to the left of what the TV showed). I could bring my mouse over but that was about it. Also, when I switch back to clone, I had to bump up my resolution to 1024 x 768 to get everything right on both screens. However, on my TV, most of the a little bit of the screen is cut off on all sides (i.e. I can only see the very top of the roolbar which has the start icon. Other than that everything looks great and I really appreciate it!
August 26, 2006 9:53:19 PM

hmmm...and this is an hdtv???

some have more than one set of component inputs, some of them limited to 480i/p, the others accepting actual hd. u may want to check that out in your television's manual.

If it isn't an hd set, none of what i just said applies.
August 26, 2006 10:04:12 PM

Man, you beat me to it. Sorry I was gone all day, but that was exactly what I was going to suggest.

@mechaniman99:
You may want to play with the position/size settings in the nvidia cornerstone (i think thats what it is called) tool. You should be able to adjust the picture on the tv so that you can see all of what is being displayed.

I wonder what you are using this setup for? If you are just wanting your CRT to play videos so you can watch dvd's on a larger screen, it will be great. I used that functionality personally for some time. If you are wanting to use it as just extra desktop space, you may be a little dissapointed. While it is possible to use it as such, the video quality is just unbearable (to me) to use on a daily basis.

If you are intending to use this as a video screen, you may want to turn on the full screen video option in the nvidia control panel. What it does is it takes any video (as in movies, clips, etc.) and mirrors it, full screen, on the secondary display. Since tv's are especially good at doing this, this sort of setup is suitable, and even preferencial to others. Why? Because, as is not the case with a clone setup, you continue to have your desktop space, and you are able to do anything you need to while having the movie playing, such as manipulating the video controls.

Like I said, what exactly are you trying to do with this setup?
August 26, 2006 11:10:48 PM

Yes I forgot to mention some things before. This is just a normal 27" CRT Toshiba CRT. It is not HD at all. Also I forgot to mention that I am not routing the component signal through my receiver. It is hooked staight up to the TV. Also, I have the latest drivers for my video card so there are no issues there.
I looked up the specs on my TV but there is no mention of the type of signal so I assume the one I'm using now, 480i, must be the correct one and my only option anyways.
As for what I'm using this for. I would like to simply watch videos and also play video games on my 27". I wanted to also surf the internet but I don't think I can read small print from my couch. I don't want to use it as another screen for my desktop.
elpresidente, I see what you mean. It's called NVKeystone. I had to activate the desktop manager to use it. I will play around with it to see if I can get it right.
August 27, 2006 7:12:05 AM

Quote:
It's called NVKeystone.

That's right, couldn't quite remember what it was called.
August 27, 2006 7:53:22 AM

oh its not an hdtv. okay...it all makes sense now.
Your tv may support 480p though. If at all possible, it will provide you with smoother motion, and a reduction in flicker.
August 27, 2006 8:57:20 PM

Yeah I'm running 32bit color. I tried switching to 480p but my TV screen went nuts and was scrolling rapidly in a horizontal direction. What sucked is when I switched back my desktop became 4 times larger than what can fit on my 27 CRT's screen. I can use my mouse to access parts of the screen that isn't visable, but that's not too efficient. How can I make the image a 1/4 of the size on there now?
August 28, 2006 3:41:51 AM

Are you using dualview? If so, you should limit the second (tv) monitor's resolution to something like 640x480 or 800x600. What it sounds like is your computer is sending a 1280x1024 signal to a screen that can definitely not handle that sort of resolution.
August 30, 2006 2:39:16 AM

Apprantly when I went to nView display settings, I went to Clone and then it has 2 options. Mine was set on monitor + TV, so I switched it to TV + monitor and it switched the screen sizes and everything was back to normal. So just in case that happens to anyone else, apparently A + B does not = B + A. Thanks for the help el presidente.
August 30, 2006 3:13:48 AM

It all has to do with which device gets initialized first. Why it makes such an extreme difference, I have no idea, but it more than likely is a driver thing that causes the difference. As for setting it up this way, there should be no problems with it, unless the videocard tries to display a game on the TV rather than the monitor. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you.
!