Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the market
for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that
emulated PS printers are cheaper.

What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they work
with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?

When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it either
has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so) fonts.
This confuses me.
-Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS?
- Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS?

Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)?

Thank you.

--
MR
9 answers Last reply

    Don't ever use printer fonts. No guarantee that fonts
    with the same name are really the same (News Gothic).
    Nowadays it's no problem to download fonts to the printer.
    The number of printer fonts is irrelevant - one needs
    just one font - Courier New for error messages.

    PostScript clones are not necessarily bad. Even original
    Adobe PS contains bugs.

    This PDF doc was printed by OKI 9600 HDN (Okidata),
    which uses an original PS3 interpreter:
    http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolorhigh.pdf
    The Web preview (250 kBytes) is:
    http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolortest.pdf

    The results were better than expected - very good,
    but some unexpected lines which might be already hidden
    in the PDF. The color reproduction is really OK:

    The machine (A3 oversize) costs about 4200 Euro.
    Delivery about 4..5 weeks in Europe.

    So far I have only the trial prints.

    Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

    Neil Gould wrote:
    > Recently, m <u@dTch.com> posted:
    >
    > > I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
    > > publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the
    > > market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I
    > > see that emulated PS printers are cheaper.
    > >
    > > What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will
    > > they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?
    > The good news is that if all you are printing are PDFs, then the
    > functional differences between true Adobe PostScript and emulated
    > PostScript (aka PostScript clones) RIPs will be minimized. The bad news is
    > that if you are proofing for final output, one can get bitten by
    > incompatibities in some PostScript clones, and printing only PDFs can mask
    > these problems.

    The bad news (in my experience) is that the HP clone (e.g. TN2100, a
    terrible printer) has a lot of difficulty with PDFs. Text-only ones are
    fine. The older LaserJets (4MV, 6MP) which use true Adobe RIPs are fast
    and reliable, and gave us no problems at all, even with very complex
    PDFs. So my conclusion, over the years, is that that clone, at least,
    is certainly to be avoided.

    --Toby

    > [...]
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

    Recently, m <u@dTch.com> posted:

    > I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
    > publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the
    > market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I
    > see that emulated PS printers are cheaper.
    >
    > What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will
    > they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?
    >
    > When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it
    > either has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130
    > (or so) fonts. This confuses me.
    > -Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS?
    > - Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS?
    >
    > Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)?

    The good news is that if all you are printing are PDFs, then the
    functional differences between true Adobe PostScript and emulated
    PostScript (aka PostScript clones) RIPs will be minimized. The bad news is
    that if you are proofing for final output, one can get bitten by
    incompatibities in some PostScript clones, and printing only PDFs can mask
    these problems.

    In either case, you will want to embed your fonts in the PDFs to reduce
    the likelihood of text reflows when the documents are opened on different
    machines. So, the number of printer-resident fonts becomes pretty much
    irrelevant.

    If you plan to proof color with your laser printer, you will need one that
    is capable of "graphics-quality", rather than "office-quality" color
    renditions. These will set you back a good bit more than the
    office-quality printers, as will supplies and maintenance. Whether the
    printer will work with a particular platform depends on the drivers that
    are available. I'm not sure what you mean by "network print server", but I
    hope you mean a computer dedicated to spooling print jobs. PostScript is
    not a small printer language, so unless the printer has a lot of memory
    and a built-in network port, you'll need considerable resources to spool
    jobs.

    Hope this helps!

    Neil
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

    "m" <u@dTch.com> wrote in message news:kM9Ee.1440$sf6.599@fe08.lga...
    >I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
    > publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the market
    > for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that
    > emulated PS printers are cheaper.
    >
    > What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they
    > work
    > with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?
    >
    > When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it
    > either
    > has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so)
    > fonts.
    > This confuses me.
    > -Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS?
    > - Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS?
    >
    > Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > --
    > MR

    Hi M,

    I'd recommened one of the Epson professional 13x19 color printer. I used to
    have one. I believe that it handled PS very well.

    Check out their web site www.epson.com.

    Stu

  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

    I have the Epson 2200 with rip for color proofs and the LaserJet 4mv for BW
    proofs. I have had no problems. I bought the 4mv cheap used and together
    with the Epson inkjet is far less than a color laser would cost.

    "Stuart B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > "m" <u@dTch.com> wrote in message news:kM9Ee.1440$sf6.599@fe08.lga...
    >>I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to
    >> publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the
    >> market
    >> for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that
    >> emulated PS printers are cheaper.
    >>
    >> What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they
    >> work
    >> with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server?
    >>
    >> When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it
    >> either
    >> has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so)
    >> fonts.
    >> This confuses me.
    >> -Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS?
    >> - Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS?
    >>
    >> Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)?
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> MR
    >>

    > Hi M,
    >
    > I'd recommened one of the Epson professional 13x19 color printer. I used
    > to have one. I believe that it handled PS very well.
    >
    > Check out their web site www.epson.com.
    >
    > Stu

  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

    In message <PkdEe.3036$6f.929@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Stuart
    B. Henlis <shenlis@earthlink.net> writes
    >I'd recommened one of the Epson professional 13x19 color printer. I used to
    >have one. I believe that it handled PS very well.
    >
    >Check out their web site www.epson.com.

    As someone else suggested, if you are going to be serious about colour
    matching with proofs, then you should really look for a contone printer
    rather than a halftone. Probably about the cheapest such printer is
    likely to be the Xerox Phaser 7750 (I think its that model that does
    contone). I would be very surprised if there is a contone printer out
    there that doesnt use true postscript.

    --
    Timothy
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > In message <PkdEe.3036$6f.929@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Stuart
    > B. Henlis <shenlis@earthlink.net> writes
    >
    >> I'd recommened one of the Epson professional 13x19 color printer. I
    >> used to
    >> have one. I believe that it handled PS very well.
    >>
    >> Check out their web site www.epson.com.
    >>
    > As someone else suggested, if you are going to be serious about colour
    > matching with proofs, then you should really look for a contone printer
    > rather than a halftone. Probably about the cheapest such printer is
    > likely to be the Xerox Phaser 7750 (I think its that model that does
    > contone). I would be very surprised if there is a contone printer out
    > there that doesnt use true postscript.

    This is a very fine printer. I'm in love with mine. If you can hurdle
    the ticket cost, it's far less expensive to run than an inkjet.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

    In message <42e20974$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Simon Warner
    <simon.thomas-warner@tiscali.co.uk> writes
    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >> As someone else suggested, if you are going to be serious about
    >>colour matching with proofs, then you should really look for a
    >>contone printer rather than a halftone. Probably about the cheapest
    >>such printer is likely to be the Xerox Phaser 7750 (I think its that
    >>model that does contone). I would be very surprised if there is a
    >>contone printer out there that doesnt use true postscript.
    >>
    >This is a very fine printer. I'm in love with mine. If you can hurdle
    >the ticket cost, it's far less expensive to run than an inkjet.

    Am I right in thinking its a contone? So you get a wider gamut and no
    dithering patterns. I'm sure everyone would appreciate a little
    personal review on here, then google can store it for posterity.

    --
    Timothy
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.publish.prepress (More info?)

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > In message <42e20974$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Simon Warner
    > <simon.thomas-warner@tiscali.co.uk> writes
    >
    >> me@privacy.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> As someone else suggested, if you are going to be serious about
    >>> colour matching with proofs, then you should really look for a
    >>> contone printer rather than a halftone. Probably about the cheapest
    >>> such printer is likely to be the Xerox Phaser 7750 (I think its that
    >>> model that does contone). I would be very surprised if there is a
    >>> contone printer out there that doesnt use true postscript.
    >>>
    >> This is a very fine printer. I'm in love with mine. If you can hurdle
    >> the ticket cost, it's far less expensive to run than an inkjet.
    >

    > Am I right in thinking its a contone? So you get a wider gamut and no
    > dithering patterns. I'm sure everyone would appreciate a little
    > personal review on here, then google can store it for posterity.

    I've seen this stated, but not by Xerox. It is 1200 x 1200 dpi and the
    results are gorgeous. Good controls for colour matching. But contone?
    Don't know for sure that it is.

Printers Laser Printer Peripherals