legendary3000

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
i just got a maxtor 250gb sata 2 hard drive that does not seem to read at all in my ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard when i look at it in the bios it see it the hard drive but when i try to install windows the setup tells me that it does not see any hard drives. i think the hard drive is dead or something. what is wrong with the stupid thing

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
1. Have you set the two drive is a raid? Or are they straight Disk?
2. Because of the PCI E SATA2 controller, XP may need the old F6 option with drivers to see the Sata drives.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
When you load up XP, you have an opportunity (via pressing F6) to supply manufacturer drivers. Most all controllers are included in XP SP2 installs, but a few are missing.

If that does not work, you have have a bad drive or cable issue.

pat

Expert
i just got a maxtor 250gb sata 2 hard drive that does not seem to read at all in my ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard when i look at it in the bios it see it the hard drive but when i try to install windows the setup tells me that it does not see any hard drives. i think the hard drive is dead or something. what is wrong with the stupid thing

Well, if you set the SATA2 connector to IDE in BIOS, then XP will see the drive just fine. If you have it plugged to the black connector, then setting the drive to SATA1 with the jumper(read drive label) and disabling RAID will let XP to install without any driver..

legendary3000

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
i read bout this hard drive n found out alot of people r having the same issue where it dissapears i installed all the driver just fine but when i try to save something to it it just comes up with an error and dissapears from my computer then i cant see it again till i restart my computer this hard drive is crap! maxtor is gay for even makin this sucker i even went as far as to download the big hard drive enabler from there website n it did nothing its a piece of shit

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Have you tried setting the interface from SATA 3.0 Gbps to SATA 1.5 Gbps via a jumper?

Some SATA 3.0 Gbps drives won't work with certain motherboards unless you do this.

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey Legend,
Now once you tried the suggestions for setting your hdd as ide so your xp can see it, if that does not work, then go to maxtors website, download the MaxBlast 4 toolkit.
Once you did that, use it to "INITIALIZE" your new drive. After you reboot, you should be able to format the drive.

I had to do that with my Maxtor SATA II 250 gig and ALSO for my WD Raptor 74.3 gig.

legendary3000

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
im done with this hard im convienced its from satin himself DO NOT BUY MAXTOR 7V250F0 250GB 16MB CACHE SATA 2 HARD DRIVE or u will really regret it TRUST ME the damn thing clicks then turns off i cant take this im gonna get something else and if u live in georgia DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CYBERTECH THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
im done with this hard im convienced its from satin himself DO NOT BUY MAXTOR 7V250F0 250GB 16MB CACHE SATA 2 HARD DRIVE or u will really regret it TRUST ME the damn thing clicks then turns off i cant take this im gonna get something else and if u live in georgia DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CYBERTECH THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!

Funny you say that Legend,
From what I have been reading I;m thinking I will go SEagate or WD next hdd upgrade

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I recently had a very similar post about my WD SATA2 250 GB drive that I had recently purchased. Here is what I learned from it:

First off, setting SATA 2 drive to SATA 1.5 can cause serious problems with windows XP as per the manufacturers details. I was having the same problem where if I didn't short my 5-6 jumpers, they drive wouldn't be recognized at all, but if I did, windows install could not find it; was a nice lose-lose situatio. The issue with the motherboard wast that it was a kinda older K8V ASUS that predated SATA2.

No matter what I tried I could not get windows to recognize it with my new Windows install disk. Then, I found the windows isntall disk that came with this premade system. It containe specific controller drivers that allowed Windows to see everything and run flawlessly in the first attempt.

So, although you seem to be done with this drive, I urge you to get the controller drivers from the manufacturers and put them on a floppy. Then, like mentioned about, press F6 just as windows first runs off the boot CD. It will allow you to get over that last hump.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
A seagate or WD will probably do the same thing. Some boards require rather a driver after F6 and/or jumpering to SATA I, like the other posters mentioned.

A lot of early VIA+SATA boards required an F6+driver for ANY SATA drive to detect in the XP install, regardless if it was I or II. I had an ASROCK P4V88 like this. Some older boards even required you to install SATA drives as a RAID JBOD drive for it to work.

Its a pain and frustrating I know :(

legendary3000

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
i really wanna use acronis true image to move everything from my old hard drive to this one so i gotta come up wit a new way to do i cant even find this model on maxtor's website for installtions it wierd its like the one they never wanted anyone to find out they made

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

haha, u really seems p!$$ed off man... hav u get it done/working?my mobo is asrock too albeit diff model.i set to ide mode, non-raid....no need to press f6.but i can also make sata floppy driver using asrock's supplied driver cd...boot ur pc with that cd

hope it helps, n good luck in trying, congrats if already had it figured out

legendary3000

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
it seems to be stable now but i have not givin it any real big thing to save or wright to yet i wonder wat will happen if it keeps up im blow it to hell!