long filenames covnerted to dos8.3 version

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

this is very annoying. i recently bought a new 160 gig hard drive. its
partitioned into 4 32 gig and one 20 gig fat32 partition (as i could not
convert them to ntfs, and i don't really want to as i ahve a dual boot). it
is connected to my system by the way of a raid card. it is a basic disk. is
it windows that are converting most of my files on the system to dos 8.3
names? the weird thing is that it is random, if i restart there may be other
files that are like that. i need to know if its the raid card that is doing
it, or if its a fault with the how windows 2k formatted my drive. ( i have
another fat32 partiton that was created under win98 and that doesn't seem to
be affected like this)

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

i figured out that windows 2000 doesn't like reading the long filenames of
those drives in question... use 98 and all will be well