create virtual directory / folder for application use

Hllo,

Server is Win 2000 with 400 GB raid maxed out (have about 20GB left)

I have an application that has a file path hard coaded c:\data, and my
c: drive is running out of space. To manage the increasing space I
have added a drive aray to the server which shows up as f: dirve.
What I would like to do is create virtual folders in the c:\data
directory for new information ex:

c:\data\2004images
c:\data\2004_special_events

etc. but the actual location of these folders to be on the f: drive.

I would also like to nest two virtual folders -
c:\data\2004images\fashion
- the fashion folder would be on drive g: if I need more space.

Thanks in advance

Kots
2 answers Last reply
More about create virtual directory folder application

    In computer management -> disk management it's possible to
    mount a volume not only by a drive letter, but also as a
    folder. Thus c:\data can point to another volume.

    Actualy I found an application Junction Link Magic that creates
    junction pints for a directory. Here is an excerpt from the manual:

    A junction point (also known as a reparse point or a symbolic link) is
    a technology for a folder to be grafted into another folder on the
    same local computer.

    For example, if the directory D:\jlink specified C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 as
    its target, then an application accessing D:\jlink\DRIVERS would in
    reality be accessing C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

    Junction points are transparent to programs.

    Unfortunately, Windows 2000 and Windows XP come with no tools for
    creating junctions - you have to purchase the Win2K Resource Kit,
    which offers the linkd program for creating junctions. So that's where
    Junction Link Magic comes in...

    kot

    "Tant102" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<5eb301c42dcb$255c8d50$a001280a@phx.gbl>...
    > In computer management -> disk management it's possible to
    > mount a volume not only by a drive letter, but also as a
    > folder. Thus c:\data can point to another volume.

NAS / RAID File System Servers Microsoft Windows