printing only at A4 size with HP930C

Hi There

I am running XP Home SP1 with a HP930C printer attached.

I want to print some pics onto 6x4 photo paper, but what happens is that
I get a part of the pic printed on the paper as if it was trying to
print an A4 size photo, and only the bits that fit on the 6x4 paper are
actually printed. (eg maybe just one side of a persons head from mouth
down when trying to print a full head shot)

Naturally, I have done the usual things such as set the paper size to
6x4 etc - am a newby to Windows, but do not encounter this problem when
using the printer on my Mac

David
--
If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

neptune

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

"quietguy" <david1133@REMOVE-TO-REPLYoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
| Hi There
|
| I am running XP Home SP1 with a HP930C printer attached.
|
| I want to print some pics onto 6x4 photo paper, but what happens is that
| I get a part of the pic printed on the paper as if it was trying to
| print an A4 size photo, and only the bits that fit on the 6x4 paper are
| actually printed. (eg maybe just one side of a persons head from mouth
| down when trying to print a full head shot)
|
| Naturally, I have done the usual things such as set the paper size to
| 6x4 etc - am a newby to Windows, but do not encounter this problem when
| using the printer on my Mac
|
| David
| --
| If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Thanks for telling how your system is equipped, you need to open up your
HP930C printer's property, go to "Printing Preference" then see what you got
there, I bet you had you A4 paper tray selected, if it's so then select
"Letter" then Click "Ok", get out of that property and do your test.

Good luck

Well, I'll try and explain it really simply for you Ramd.

XP is an operating system that controls how the computer works - it (XP)
also has its own drivers (these are small application type things) that
control how the computer talks to the printer. So obviousely, XP isn't
talking to my printer nicely. So, I am wondering what to do to correct it.

Understand now Ramd?

David

--

quietguy wrote:
> Well, I'll try and explain it really simply for you Ramd.
>
> XP is an operating system that controls how the computer works - it
> (XP) also has its own drivers (these are small application type
> things) that control how the computer talks to the printer. So
> obviousely, XP isn't talking to my printer nicely. So, I am
> wondering what to do to correct it.
>
> Understand now Ramd?

Actually the OS only comes with the drivers that are released by the printer
manufacturer. These drivers for the most common types of printers are
usually included with the OS for convenience. You may need to check with the
printer manufacturer for updated, XP compatible drivers.

I think your problem here is not the printer, but the size of the picture
you are trying to print. What software are you using to display and print
the pictures? Most of the better imaging software will include a Print
Preview feature that will allow you to scale the picture to fit the paper
size.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

I was mainly trying to print from Photoshop 5.0, but also tried Painter
and Word (pasted the pic into it).

When I looked at print preview it showed the whole of picture, taking up
all of the page shown. Since I had selected paper size 6x4 I presumed
that the page shown on print preview represented that paper size - hence
my surprise when only part of the pic printed on my 6*4 paper.

I stress that I am a Mac user, and am accustomed to WYSIWYG - I sort of
thought/hoped that Windows had caught up with that concept by now, but I
guess they are still working on that sort of thing.

When I first connected the printer it found drivers on my Windows disk,
and recognised the printer by name and model number, so assumed they
were right for Windows and the HP.

I will check to see if there are later drivers tho - thanks for the suggestion

David

--

quietguy wrote:
> I was mainly trying to print from Photoshop 5.0, but also tried
> Painter
> and Word (pasted the pic into it).
>
> When I looked at print preview it showed the whole of picture, taking
> up
> all of the page shown. Since I had selected paper size 6x4 I presumed
> that the page shown on print preview represented that paper size -
> hence
> my surprise when only part of the pic printed on my 6*4 paper.
>
> I stress that I am a Mac user, and am accustomed to WYSIWYG - I sort
> of thought/hoped that Windows had caught up with that concept by now,
> but I guess they are still working on that sort of thing.
>
> When I first connected the printer it found drivers on my Windows
> disk,
> and recognised the printer by name and model number, so assumed they
> were right for Windows and the HP.
>
> I will check to see if there are later drivers tho - thanks for the
> suggestion

The drivers that Windows install are current as of the release date for that
version of Windows, but could be outdated by the time you purchase that
version.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

quietguy wrote:
> I was mainly trying to print from Photoshop 5.0, but also tried
> Painter
> and Word (pasted the pic into it).
>
> When I looked at print preview it showed the whole of picture, taking
> up
> all of the page shown. Since I had selected paper size 6x4 I presumed
> that the page shown on print preview represented that paper size -
> hence
> my surprise when only part of the pic printed on my 6*4 paper.
>
> I stress that I am a Mac user, and am accustomed to WYSIWYG - I sort
> of thought/hoped that Windows had caught up with that concept by now,
> but I guess they are still working on that sort of thing.
>
> When I first connected the printer it found drivers on my Windows
> disk,
> and recognised the printer by name and model number, so assumed they
> were right for Windows and the HP.
>
> I will check to see if there are later drivers tho - thanks for the
> suggestion

Further:

This is not a Windows issue?

The size of the paper and scaling an image to fit that size is a function of
the printer driver and the application that you are printing from. You might
check the printer properties for a "print to scale" feature which is used to
size the image when selecting a special paper size. Some printers also offer
options to set margins to move the image to a particular position on the
page.

It's been a while since I used PhotoShop 5, but I remember that PS 6x has
print preview options like scale to fit media and even a position feature.
You might be able to use these options to overcome the lack of options in
the printer.
--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Thanks for the advice Ronnie - will try your ideas see how I go

David

--
If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?