Your question

RMA'd MOBO: What to expect?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • MSI
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2006 4:42:42 AM

RMA'd a Micro Star International K8N SLI Platinum 939 MB a few weeks ago and will be getting 'the fixed' board back tomorrow. A few questions for someone who might know a little about the motherboard RMA routine on the manufacturers side:

1.. What exactly happens when MSI receives my RMA'd board?

2. What qualifications does the technician performing RMA service at MSI normally have?

3. What kinds of diagnostic tests does the technical department at MSI perform?

4. What can be repaired on a MB? Should I expect a completely different properly functioning board?

5. What are your experiences with RMA'd MOBO's?

I have a new MB running since I sent the board in to MSI. So for now the board I get tomorrow will be a spare part. My question is just out of curiousity into something I know nothing about. Thanks.

More about : rma mobo expect

August 25, 2006 5:40:15 AM

I'm not sure to any of your questions, but I just RMAed a Seagate Barracuda 200gb hard drive.

In return I get a different factory-repaired hard drive of the same model/capacity or higher.

I've heard of situations where the factory-repaired HDs from seagate die on 1st boot.

I am just crossing my fingers.
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2006 6:30:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure to any of your questions, but I just RMAed a Seagate Barracuda 200gb hard drive.

In return I get a different factory-repaired hard drive of the same model/capacity or higher.

I've heard of situations where the factory-repaired HDs from seagate die on 1st boot.

I am just crossing my fingers.

I received an RMA'd mobo from MSI and it would not post. I notified the company and they sent me another board that worked perfectly. I want to know how this kind of thing happens. How could a company send me a dead board when providing warranty? What kind of quality control is involved in the RMA procedure? Just throwing the question out there if anyone knows. Thanks.
Related resources
August 25, 2006 6:39:16 AM

providing dead mobos is dangerous business considering some problems can damage your other hardware.
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2006 3:26:13 AM

Quote:
providing dead mobos is dangerous business considering some problems can damage your other hardware.

I have had a very good experience with MSI over the years. Once agian they have apparenty come through in a big way. I received what appears to be a brand spanking new one of these today. RMA = nice! :D 

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N...
August 26, 2006 3:46:10 AM

Awesome! Hope my seagate turns out that way, i'll let you know.
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2006 3:52:03 AM

Never owned a Seagate. Now I will devise a plan to build a third SLI rig. I didn't expect to get a 'new' board. I sent a Gigabyte board in as an RMA and got back a board with thermal paste smeared all over it. I cleaned it for about two hours and got mad. Sent an email and made Gigabyte give me a diffferent board. They did. Yeah, I've RMA'd HD's, but to Western Digital. No problem getting a good drive in return. Same with processors at AMD. They were great. Sent me five! (count 'em 5 processors!) Kept getting damaged in shipping. bent pins. The guys at AMD support said something like this had never happened before. Sent me the fifth one with the help of a supervisor and anchored it to a OEM dozen shipping tray! Not kidding! :D  8O
August 26, 2006 4:10:15 AM

Crazy. They made you send back all the bent AMDs right? And the mobo with paste smeared all over eh?

I bet that took weeks to get.
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2006 4:12:19 AM

Quote:
Crazy. They made you send back all the bent AMDs right? And the mobo with paste smeared all over eh?

I bet that took weeks to get.

I swear I would open the package, get my magnifying glass and start dialing the phone to AMD. "Hello. You are not gonna believe this...but I just open the box and it's bent again!" It was unbelievable. The company said it had never happend anywhere, anytime before.
!