Event ID 6 dmboot error

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 30, 2004 1:25:14 PM

Here is the event log error:
ID: 6 Source: dmboot
volumes in the disk group are not available.

Software is Windows 2000 server, sp3.

Hardware is Promise 100 TX2 internal raid card with four drives, raid 0/1,
stipe, mirror. They have single drive C on motherboard primary ide. the raid
was working ok, then channel 2 slave drive failed. Customer had turned off
server when i got there and removed drive to see what he needed to buy. i
restarted server to check out any other errors and the event above showed
up. this raid array is now inaccessable. drive manager shows drive 0 being
ok (single ide on motherboard with o/s and exchange). it shows drive 1 as
dynamic unreadable. Customer bought wrong drive and it would be next day
before he could get correct one so i went ahead and did post service pack
updates on windows and exchange, no errors. The next day I installed new ide
drive in array and let promise fastbuild utiility rebuild array. It was
successful. Problem is that the error did not go away and the array is still
not accessable and still shows dynamic unreadable. I'm almost certain that
the array is ok and all partitions, data are there, but that doesn't matter
if the o/s cant even see the drive.

Anyone have any ideas? Would rolling back updates to state before drive
failure help? Promise is claiming that they don't recommend configuring
array as dynamic because it is unstable, but customer says it has been that
way for several years with no problem. They really need to recover the data
on the array. I don't believe they have a current backup.

Thanks,

Dave

More about : event dmboot error

May 1, 2004 8:06:53 PM

>>Promise is claiming that they don't recommend configuring
array as dynamic because it is unstable, but customer says it has been that
way for several years with no problem.<<

They may have meant that if you already implement RAID reduncy on a hardware
level, why add even more on a software level? By using Dynamic disks, you
add complexity in case something goes wrong.

Recovery depends upon how the drive was 'partitioned', what volumes were
present etc. Also, recovering data would be easier if the disk/array was
initially a BASIC disk upgraded at some point. If the disk/array was DYNAMIC
from day one, volume boundries aren't cylinder alligned and you would have a
harder time locating volume headers.

Joep

--
D I Y D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
http://www.diydatarecovery.com

Please include previous correspondence!

DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.
CHK-Mate - automated CHK file analysis & recovery
!