NTFS Cluster Size

1- I know that on win 2k it is impossible to defrag
clusters over 4K in size due to limitations in the API.
I was wondering if MS ever developed a patch or
workaround for this limitation. I often have files that
are over 32 k in size and would like my disks to be able
to contain these files in one single cluster rather than
8 or 16. I know that WinXp and 2003 do not have this
problem but at work we have win 2K server and pro and
since I use diskeeper I am unable to use 32 or 64k
clusters (as I said,they won't defrag).

2- Is it possible to resize clusters on a functional OS
without formatting?

These questions may seem "dumb" to some of you but hey, I
have to ask just to satisfy my curiosity. You'll never
know if you never ask, right?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about ntfs cluster size

    Jay

    1. As far as I am aware, this problem still exists. This MS Knowledge Base
    article describes limitations in the built in defrag program:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=227463

    2. Not within the operating system, but third party software, Partition
    Magic for instance, is said to have this possibility.

    Best regards

    Bjorn

    "Jay-P" <jpierre21@NO_SPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >1- I know that on win 2k it is impossible to defrag
    >clusters over 4K in size due to limitations in the API.
    >I was wondering if MS ever developed a patch or
    >workaround for this limitation. I often have files that
    >are over 32 k in size and would like my disks to be able
    >to contain these files in one single cluster rather than
    >8 or 16. I know that WinXp and 2003 do not have this
    >problem but at work we have win 2K server and pro and
    >since I use diskeeper I am unable to use 32 or 64k
    >clusters (as I said,they won't defrag).
    >
    >2- Is it possible to resize clusters on a functional OS
    >without formatting?
    >
    >These questions may seem "dumb" to some of you but hey, I
    >have to ask just to satisfy my curiosity. You'll never
    >know if you never ask, right?
    >
    >Thanks

    Paragon PM
    http://www.partition-manager.com/home/personal/features.htm
    is able to defrag NTFS clusters over 4K.
    It also can resize clusters without formatting.

    Jay-P wrote:
    > 1- I know that on win 2k it is impossible to defrag
    > clusters over 4K in size due to limitations in the API.
    > I was wondering if MS ever developed a patch or
    > workaround for this limitation. I often have files that
    > are over 32 k in size and would like my disks to be able
    > to contain these files in one single cluster rather than
    > 8 or 16. I know that WinXp and 2003 do not have this
    > problem but at work we have win 2K server and pro and
    > since I use diskeeper I am unable to use 32 or 64k
    > clusters (as I said,they won't defrag).
    >
    > 2- Is it possible to resize clusters on a functional OS
    > without formatting?
    >
    > These questions may seem "dumb" to some of you but hey, I
    > have to ask just to satisfy my curiosity. You'll never
    > know if you never ask, right?
    >
    > Thanks

Windows