Best way to migrate existing Windows 8 to SSD

trevnew

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hello,
Decided to install OCZ 128GB SSD on my desktop PC to get all the speed benefits and would like some advice on best way to do this.

Is clean install (have installation media) best way will there be any activation problems? This is the most problematic option for me as need to reinstall all application.

Is using Acronis 2013 image a good solution and does the image translate to SSD without any issues?

Is using the clone facility in Acronis 2013 a viable way to do this?

Are there any other proven ways or suggestions possible to make this transition from HD to SSD

any advice or information on the above much appreciated

Trev

Solution
Imaging works fast for me and is very reliable. Restoring an image takes minutes, compared to many hours for a clean, but its equally important that the image is clean (or as 'clean' as you can get it) - regular anti-virus/malware/etc at all times! and work with at least 3 images from various points in the past.

I also have Acronis True Image and do regular backup's of my system drive, storing these on another HDD using Acronis Secure Zone (hidden partition). It is fast to to the backup and very fast to restore. Just make sure that when you are about to restore (you will be using an Acronis Rescue media (e.g. CD) for this) you must have unplugged your current HDD containing the OS and preferably all other HDD's if connected. Once...

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Don't double post - please delete your other post.

For migration you can try (since it's fast) an Acronis image of the HDD OS (providing it's expanded size significantly less than the SSD). Do an Windows Experience update to let W8 know it's now living in an SSD and allow it to optimise. Ideally, since the OS will be moved to a different medium, it would be advisable to simply do a clean install onto the SSD, removing/disconnecting the original HDD with the OS and, preferably (to reduce possible installation problems), any other attached HDD's (these can be attached later). Of course, backup your own data from the HDD.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
No problem :) if you click the left of the 3 buttons at the bottom right of your message "Edit this message" you can delete the post by using the tick-box "delete this reply" (though I'm not sure if this works for the OP)

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Right-click My Computer, select Properties, you'll see the Windows Experience index half way down the page. Refreshing it helps the OS take account of what new hardware you recently installed (e.g. SSD). Ideally, you would do a fresh/clean install, but for speed you could try an Acronis image (carefull with it's uncompressed size compared to the SSD).

I'm also seeing issues with tom's - I've also double posted recently! lol.

trevnew

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
lol thanks yes found it, had seen it before didn't realize it help optimise thought it was just some sort of benchmarking app.
I'm hesitating with clean install as lot of applications to reinstall, original installation files, CD's, Passwords and all the other good stuff etc. etc pushes me away from it slightly, may try image first then go down clean if run into issues. Do you think image is better than cloning or not too much difference? Thanks for inputs

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Imaging works fast for me and is very reliable. Restoring an image takes minutes, compared to many hours for a clean, but its equally important that the image is clean (or as 'clean' as you can get it) - regular anti-virus/malware/etc at all times! and work with at least 3 images from various points in the past.

I also have Acronis True Image and do regular backup's of my system drive, storing these on another HDD using Acronis Secure Zone (hidden partition). It is fast to to the backup and very fast to restore. Just make sure that when you are about to restore (you will be using an Acronis Rescue media (e.g. CD) for this) you must have unplugged your current HDD containing the OS and preferably all other HDD's if connected. Once everything boots ok run the experience index and head on over to the SSD's manufacturer's website forum for their own specific W8 optimisation recommendations. And, at power down, reconnect your remaining HDD's (if present). You'll now want to format your original OS HDD. One easy way to do this is using the recovery CD's from either acronis disk director (do you have this also?) or paragon partition manager. Simply disconnect the SSD and all HDDs except your original OS HDD, pop in one of these disks then delete all partitions (there will be an additional windows recovery partition (not sure about W8, though)), then format the entire drive as a single partition (or whatever you want). Power down, reconnect all drives, power up.

Solution