The single most infuriating thing in Morrowind!

Getting attacked by a Wild Vampire inside a town and the Guards just stand
there doing nothing. Then the WV casts a spell and hits an NPC which dies.
Then the bloody guards says *I* broke the law?!?!?!!?
GRRRR!!!!!

Is there *any* way to alter the behaviour of the guards?
I guess not, or I would have heard of such a mod. :-(

"Seymour C. Moore" <notv@l.id> wrote in

> Getting attacked by a Wild Vampire inside a town and the Guards just
> stand there doing nothing. Then the WV casts a spell and hits an NPC
> which dies. Then the bloody guards says *I* broke the law?!?!?!!?
> GRRRR!!!!!
>
> Is there *any* way to alter the behaviour of the guards?
> I guess not, or I would have heard of such a mod. :-(

Run out of town, getting the WV to chase/follow you. I ran into this a
lot using ranged spells and inadvertently hitting innocent NPCs who were
within the 'blast zone.'

--
John Henry
Now Playing: Kiss.Demo.Carr Jam '89

> Getting attacked by a Wild Vampire inside a town and the Guards just stand
> there doing nothing. Then the WV casts a spell and hits an NPC which dies.
> Then the bloody guards says *I* broke the law?!?!?!!?
> GRRRR!!!!!
>
> Is there *any* way to alter the behaviour of the guards?
> I guess not, or I would have heard of such a mod. :-(

I don't know about "single most infuriating thing". I'd say the game's
habit of waiting until I'm JUST about to save before crashing to desktop
would probably qualify as my greatest annoyance.

Come to think of it, though, I don't think I've ever seen a wild vampire in
the game. I see vampires inside tombs and other places like that, but never
outdoors. Are they added by some mod? If so, you can hardly blame the
developpers of the game for this behavior, as it's clearly caused by a
3rd-party mod...

PB

> Is there *any* way to alter the behaviour of the guards?

simple....hire a fighting-guar :)

pieter
www.borrasart.com

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in

>> Getting attacked by a Wild Vampire inside a town and the Guards just
>> stand there doing nothing. Then the WV casts a spell and hits an NPC
>> which dies. Then the bloody guards says *I* broke the law?!?!?!!?
>> GRRRR!!!!!
>>
>> Is there *any* way to alter the behaviour of the guards?
>> I guess not, or I would have heard of such a mod. :-(
>
> I don't know about "single most infuriating thing". I'd say the
> game's habit of waiting until I'm JUST about to save before crashing
> to desktop would probably qualify as my greatest annoyance.
>
> Come to think of it, though, I don't think I've ever seen a wild
> vampire in the game. I see vampires inside tombs and other places
> like that, but never outdoors. Are they added by some mod?

Vampire Realism, I think.
My character is lvl 8 and about 50 game days have passes and I've only
encountered one VW yet, so the chances of encountering one is quite
"realistic". Which can not be said of the "Adventurers NPCs" which is
possible the most annoying mod I've tried, with vampires popping up all
the time at broad daylight.

> If so,
> you can hardly blame the developpers of the game for this behavior, as
> it's clearly caused by a 3rd-party mod...

Well...guards will attack monsters that attack me, so why not humanoids
too?
And why is *my* character held resposible for what two NPCs do to each
other???

> Well...guards will attack monsters that attack me, so why not humanoids
> too?
> And why is *my* character held resposible for what two NPCs do to each
> other???

I think there's a code that gets them angry with the "on murder" function,
which gets called any time a humanoid kills an NPC. It apparently can't
distinguish between the PC and an NPC in this case. I guess in that case,
it is bad code on Bethesda's part, but you'll notice that they pretty much
made sure that this will almost never happen in the course of normal playing
(without mods). To be fair, though, the modder(s) responsible for Vampire
Realism should have done something to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't
happen, either by keeping the vampires away from towns, or altering the
guard code to prevent the situation you described. You might want to
contact them and point that out. It may be fixable.

This is not the only place where the computer not being able to tell the
difference between a PC and an NPC becomes a problem. In one of my mods,
(Better Followers,
http://ufrealms.net/downloads2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1509), I had a
problem where certain followers are set to Follow another NPC. Since all my
improved AI works by checking if the character is following somebody, and
the game can't tell if they're following you or an NPC, I had to make
special checks in these cases to get them to not do funky stuff.