CPU Overclocking - teach me the ways

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Hey, I have always liked PC's and know a lot about them but when it comes to PC overclocking It would be like asking me to prepare a gourment meal, probably not going to work.

I am hoping that you guys can help me out and tell me about overclocking and what not, I am using the Bios to Overclock. I tried it a bit earlier and got mixed results but I am still posting this thread on this computer so I would say it turned out successful :p.

My Specs are

Asus P5GDC Deluxe motherboard
Intel P4 3.0Ghz Prescott
2GB Ram 512x4 2 Generic, 2 Samsung
24 Pin Power Supply, 450Watt - not sure of company
Segate 250GB HD Sata
EvGA Nvidia 7900GT PCI Express

If you guys could please tell me a little more about how to overclock through the Bios and what I need to do. With the pictures below, if you could elaborate betweem them and tell me about them I would greatly appreciate it.

IMGP1213.jpg

That's my main Bios Overclocking Screen. It's on Manual right now and earlier I had the CPU Frequency set at 211 and it was running at 3.17 Overclocked. (See next pic). Can I leave everything on Auto and just change the core Voltage and the frequency or do I need to start changing everything?

untitled.jpg

I was running like this for a bit, this was the highest I could go and get the PC started. I played around with the Voltage and put it all the way up to 1.500 but the pc just wouldn't start but did with 211 Frequency at 1.3875 which upped the voltage to 1.44.

My PC Kept shutting off after about 15 minutes so I have set it back to Manual for now on stock 200 frequency.

IMGP1215.jpg

Which would be the best to choose for overclocking? I tried the AI NOS (see below pic) but that didn't do anything. The first time Iv'e seen results is changing the frequency but like said above couldn't go past 3.17 (211 Core Frequency) What is most recommend to Overclock, Auto doesn't really Overclock at all. Do any of you Use AI NOS?

IMGP1214.jpg

I tried using this setting and what not but didn't see any proven results my PC stayed at 3.0Ghz. How do you set this up, what settings do you use, what Percentage and is this the best way to Overclock or should you just use Manual?

Thanks for takin the time to help me out guys, I appreciate it and hope now I understand Overclocking better. Thanks again.

AIM - Novak921

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Cuz this isn't an overclocking forum. :lol:
This is the fanboy's playground where we get to whip them all! :D

You haven’t met your fanboy whipping quota yet today.
From the posts here lately you missed a lot.
:lol:

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Frustrating isn’t it. :?
I also have been ignoring a majority of the threads as of late.
At least mmm was worthy of the slaughter for you.
Some how I think he’s still lurking in the shadows

Hey, I have always liked PC's and know a lot about them but when it comes to PC overclocking It would be like asking me to prepare a gourment meal, probably not going to work.

I am hoping that you guys can help me out and tell me about overclocking and what not, I am using the Bios to Overclock. I tried it a bit earlier and got mixed results but I am still posting this thread on this computer so I would say it turned out successful :p.

My Specs are

Asus P5GDC Deluxe motherboard
Intel P4 3.0Ghz Prescott
2GB Ram 512x4 2 Generic, 2 Samsung
24 Pin Power Supply, 450Watt - not sure of company
Segate 250GB HD Sata
EvGA Nvidia 7900GT PCI Express

If you guys could please tell me a little more about how to overclock through the Bios and what I need to do. With the pictures below, if you could elaborate betweem them and tell me about them I would greatly appreciate it.

IMGP1213.jpg

That's my main Bios Overclocking Screen. It's on Manual right now and earlier I had the CPU Frequency set at 211 and it was running at 3.17 Overclocked. (See next pic). Can I leave everything on Auto and just change the core Voltage and the frequency or do I need to start changing everything?

untitled.jpg

I was running like this for a bit, this was the highest I could go and get the PC started. I played around with the Voltage and put it all the way up to 1.500 but the pc just wouldn't start but did with 211 Frequency at 1.3875 which upped the voltage to 1.44.

My PC Kept shutting off after about 15 minutes so I have set it back to Manual for now on stock 200 frequency.

IMGP1215.jpg

Which would be the best to choose for overclocking? I tried the AI NOS (see below pic) but that didn't do anything. The first time Iv'e seen results is changing the frequency but like said above couldn't go past 3.17 (211 Core Frequency) What is most recommend to Overclock, Auto doesn't really Overclock at all. Do any of you Use AI NOS?

IMGP1214.jpg

I tried using this setting and what not but didn't see any proven results my PC stayed at 3.0Ghz. How do you set this up, what settings do you use, what Percentage and is this the best way to Overclock or should you just use Manual?

Thanks for takin the time to help me out guys, I appreciate it and hope now I understand Overclocking better. Thanks again.

AIM - Novak921

If your are going to overclock manually a couple of suggestions. The PCI Express Frequency should be taken off AUTO and set to 100 to start. You will likely have to increase to 110 or even 120 if possible to achieve anything more than a 10 to 15% overclock success. In addition set your PCI Clock Syncronization to 33 1/3 minimum for any kind of success in an overclock of more than 10%. HTH.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Hey thanks for the guys who helped out and for the 2nd person that posted sorry didn't look at your name I didn't check the stickies and I just realized actually that I posted in actual CPU forums instead of the Overclocking CPU forums so I appologize for that, sorry about that but thanks to you guys who helped me out anyways.