Printer Large Images Over Several Pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME

I have a pdf file roughly 34" x 23" which I would like to print in
several bits to put together later. Adobe Reader only seems to have
options for printing either the centre or top left or reducing the size
to fit the whole thing on one page. I just tried downloading FinePrint
and I couldn't find an option on that to do it either?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? (The printer is a
Canon CLC-950 A3/11"x17") I can't find a way to do it with my Xerox
Phaser 8200 A4/11/12x8 either.

--
Timothy

In article <LUh3l7KVvj4CFwjN@town-village.demon.co.uk>, "me@privacy.net"
<me@Privacy.Net> wrote:

> I have a pdf file roughly 34" x 23" which I would like to print in
> several bits to put together later.

Timothy-

Your computer's printer drivers only know how to print to a defined paper
size. Anything that won't fit on that page is either thrown away or the
document is shrunk to fit, unless you have a program that can span several
pages.

Jon's Qimage suggestion sounds like a good idea. Another approach might
be to copy the image and paste it into a vector-graphics program such as
Adobe Illustrator, ClarisDraw or the Draw mode of ClarisWorks.

Such a program lets you define a document workspace in terms of multiple
pages. Once the image is pasted into the document it becomes an
"object". It can be shrunk or expanded to any exact size you want. Of
course, its resolution will become obvious if you expand it too far, so
you want to paste in the largest (most pixels) image you can.

When shrinking or expanding, hold down the shift key to constrain the
image's length-to-width ratio. Some vector-graphics programs may be able
to open .pdf files directly.

Fred

wrote:

> I have a pdf file roughly 34" x 23" which I would like to print in
> several bits to put together later.

Convert to a TIFF file in Photoshop and use Qimage's poster printing
function.

Jon.

ME

In message <fmmck-2307051105300001@aca32bf9.ipt.aol.com>, Fred McKenzie
<fmmck@aol.com> writes
>In article <LUh3l7KVvj4CFwjN@town-village.demon.co.uk>, "me@privacy.net"
><me@Privacy.Net> wrote:
>
>> I have a pdf file roughly 34" x 23" which I would like to print in
>> several bits to put together later.
>
>Your computer's printer drivers only know how to print to a defined paper
>size. Anything that won't fit on that page is either thrown away or the
>document is shrunk to fit, unless you have a program that can span several
>pages.
This is what I am looking for do you have any suggestions?

>Jon's Qimage suggestion sounds like a good idea. Another approach might
>be to copy the image and paste it into a vector-graphics program such as
>Adobe Illustrator, ClarisDraw or the Draw mode of ClarisWorks.

Thanks for the suggestions. The software I have to do this with is Paint
Shop Pro and OpenOffice, neither of which can turn the pdf into a tiff.
Using the copy function of the Acrobat Reader for some reason greatly
reduces resolution.

I found a prog that just about works, by taking the oversized pdf and
splitting it into multi pages, it can also do it the otherway round and
various other things. Certainly worth a look for anyone that wants to do
things like this www.pstill.com

--
Timothy