UnFREAKINGbelievable VIRUS (Please Help!)

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I'm terribly sorry for the informal title to this post, but the matter is especially difficult. I've NEVER been the one to get viruses, i only download from a handful of trusted sites. But it appears that i have a wicked virus, one that is NOT normal. It is not normal because it keeps coming back, EVEN AFTER CLEANLY INSTALLING WINDOWS 7. This virus involves redirection of internet pages, (to b00kmarks.com for example, and other sites), msn sending iq tests to people while i'm offline, iexplorer opening in the background and playing ads, and now even worse, i can't open EI or firefox because "Win 7 Security Center" keeps popping up and telling me i have a virus, and won't let me use the internet. The Win 7 security looks terribly suspicious because it keeps scanning my pc randomly and it's asking me to pay. Eithr way, i resintalled windows, and sure enough, 2 weeks later, it's BACK!!! And it's even WORSE somehow haha, and it's the exact same virus and symptoms.

So i've read up and could this be a DNS attack? (DNS Cache poisoning)
Is there a way i can avoid this reoccurring hell? Please, i need help. Also i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Solution
If its a network virus, it wouldn't be on your computer directly, it would be contained within a file you have online, any message that can contain an attachment can do it. That would explain the offline e-mails, and the IE popups.

The redirections could indeed come from a DNS virus. Try changing it to 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 (google's free DNS).
No virus can survive a clean install of the operating system, you are obviously reinfecting yourself with some software that you have downloaded. If you are sure that all of the software that you have installed on your computer is clean try running a virtual machine to do your internet browsing and downloading and see if your virtual machine remains clean.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I just read that reinstalling the pc with windows connected to the internet can cause the virus to come back, so i'm doing another reinstall of windows 7 without the internet connected, then i'm going to install all updates and turn firewall on BEFORE i do anything else. I'll report back to this thread if it comes back, thanks for the help! You helped confirm that it's NOT possible for the virus to come back after a clean install, so it must be something i'm doing wrong.

Install microsoft security essentials soon as you get your updates.

If the virus is communicating with the net, then it's possible it could re-infect itself during the install....I guess. This used to happen in XP but this is the first time I've seen someone with Win7 have this issue.

mchad1403

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
If its a network virus, it wouldn't be on your computer directly, it would be contained within a file you have online, any message that can contain an attachment can do it. That would explain the offline e-mails, and the IE popups.

The redirections could indeed come from a DNS virus. Try changing it to 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 (google's free DNS).

Solution

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

This seems to be the answer to my recurring issue, can you explain to me how to do that? :)

edit: nvm, i just googled instructions, pretty easy stuff. I changed the DNS to 8.8.4.4 then set the alternate to 8.8.4.4. Thanks! :) I think i'm in the clear for the virus now :p I've done a clean format, and changed my DNS. I'll consider this solved now! :)

I REALLY am leaning towards the DNS being the real cause of the virus, because i've NEVER been the kind of person to get viruses, i'm very safe. And the fact that it kept coming back.... so it makes sense that my server provider may have had a poisoned dns cache....though i hope that doesn't make me seem like i'm blaming my own actions on other people. Either way i'm leaning towards the DNS being the issue...anyway SOLVED! :D

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( hahaha....well i'll post another thread if that is the case. But so far the virus has NOT come back. Interestingly though, the second time i resintalled windows i thought the virus was gone, and actually came back 2 weeks later. So, i've done a CLEAN HDD swipe, Reinstalled windows, and rerouted my DNS. So if the virus comes back, then i can easily isolate the issue to the bios, and i'll have to do some reflashing, and then lock my bios with a password so it can't be flashed (or better yet, pluck the jumper from my motherboard to stop bios updates after a reflash). But, honestly, my dual bios motherboard has some pretty nifty virus protection. So i'm crossing my fingers! Thanks for the info! :p

Ok, i just reflashed my mobo bios (a feature i didn't know i had in the bios). Though, according to this article, it's not very likely that his was my issue in the first place. It's pretty convincing stuff, take a look if you like :)

http://ask-leo.com/can_a_virus_infect_my_computers_bios.html

It's basically saying that it's too small an audience of people to bother, and that bios's are radically different from eachother to bother a mass attack on BIOS's. It seems more likely to me that i was infected with the virus when i reinstalled windows and didn't update anything for a month because i was lazy ;) leaving me completely unprotected. So, when i say that "i've never been the type to get viruses," that just mean's i was very lucky until now :p