Syncing 8Gb of data (DFS/FRS) "pre staged" takes AGES! Nor..

RJ

In DR test lab, server A and B have replicated data between them (8Gb
of "normal" data - i.e. some small, some large (10Mb) files).

We kill server A and do disaster recovery on it. - ALL OK
We RESTORE data to server A into appropriate folders - ALL OK
Start FRS on Server A - ALL OK - SERVER MOVES FILES INTO "PREEXISTING"
PRESTAGE AREA
Then syncing starts, and as expected, system A moves files from the
preexisitng folder to correct location. GREAT!

So DFS/FRS works a treat to save network bandwidth exactly as
detailed.

However, 24 hours later, only 5Gb of data has been "made live" and
both systems are still working. This is MUCH longer than I'd expect
data to be replicated over the network anyway!

Details:-
Both systems Windows 2003 Server
Both on (in lab!) Compaq Deskpros PIII 866, 256Mb & 384Mb RAM, and
1x120Gb hdd. So not top end and not servers, but its a lab! Network
is 10Mb/s routed via Windows 2000 "router".

Any ideas why its taking so long?

(When logging on, system A appears VERY SLOW, perfmon shows paging and
lots of disk activity. Machine has, apparently, 70Mb of free RAM.
Disk lights on constant on both machines. Network at 20+% ish)

As a comparison - copy 5GB of data between the two servers and see how long
that takes.

We have also found FRS to be slow to replicate the intial content - whether
its pre-existing or not and even on a 100Mb switched LAN - about the same
speed as when we have them replicating across a T1.

"RJ" <ryanjjones@mail.com> wrote in message
> In DR test lab, server A and B have replicated data between them (8Gb
> of "normal" data - i.e. some small, some large (10Mb) files).
>
> We kill server A and do disaster recovery on it. - ALL OK
> We RESTORE data to server A into appropriate folders - ALL OK
> Start FRS on Server A - ALL OK - SERVER MOVES FILES INTO "PREEXISTING"
> PRESTAGE AREA
> Then syncing starts, and as expected, system A moves files from the
> preexisitng folder to correct location. GREAT!
>
> So DFS/FRS works a treat to save network bandwidth exactly as
> detailed.
>
> However, 24 hours later, only 5Gb of data has been "made live" and
> both systems are still working. This is MUCH longer than I'd expect
> data to be replicated over the network anyway!
>
> Details:-
> Both systems Windows 2003 Server
> Both on (in lab!) Compaq Deskpros PIII 866, 256Mb & 384Mb RAM, and
> 1x120Gb hdd. So not top end and not servers, but its a lab! Network
> is 10Mb/s routed via Windows 2000 "router".
>
> Any ideas why its taking so long?
>
> (When logging on, system A appears VERY SLOW, perfmon shows paging and
> lots of disk activity. Machine has, apparently, 70Mb of free RAM.
> Disk lights on constant on both machines. Network at 20+% ish)

RJ

Sorry for the delay:-

6.5Gb copied between servers = 3 hours. - roughly 5Mb/s - which is
fine considering the test lab kit.

12Gb via DFS replication (PRE-STAGED) - so only a few Mb should be
transfered over network takes 36 hours.

Hmmm!

Help!?