File size properties and size on disk properties don't match

When looking at the properties for folders the size on disk and size information doesn't match. The size on disk is half of the size. Some folders match and others are close as expected, however I've never seen a ratio like this. Any information would be helpful.

Consider that every file and directory listing (no matter what size) takes
up at least one cluster. Slack space is the area between the end of the file
and the end of the cluster. It can be calculated roughly by taking 1/2 of
the drive's allocation unit (cluster size) times the number of files, this
is the average wasted space. If you have a lot of small files then the
wasted space figure could be larger.

From a command prompt at the root of the drive in question;
chkdsk
to find out your cluster size (allocation unit)

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jarrod" wrote:
| When looking at the properties for folders the size on disk and size
information doesn't match. The size on disk is half of the size. Some
folders match and others are close as expected, however I've never seen a
ratio like this. Any information would be helpful.

thanks. I was talking to another tech and we thought about this. This server has RIS installed on the partion that the data is located on creating a single instance store. We were thinking that maybe when files were copied from one spot to another which we have had to do for backup reason maybe it was only copying the pointers and not the files themselves. We've seen this happen on another server with the same setup just not to this extreme.

----- Dave Patrick wrote: -----

Consider that every file and directory listing (no matter what size) takes
up at least one cluster. Slack space is the area between the end of the file
and the end of the cluster. It can be calculated roughly by taking 1/2 of
the drive's allocation unit (cluster size) times the number of files, this
is the average wasted space. If you have a lot of small files then the
wasted space figure could be larger.

From a command prompt at the root of the drive in question;