Ethernet Card

Hello to all, I have bought one Ethernet card of the Hamlet. I have
mounted it, I have connected the router to the card, but when I ignite
the router the spy of the ethernet flashes. And if I try to connect
itself with a program peer to peer, begins to flash fastly. I have
called my telephone company and they have said to me that probably I
must shape the card ethernet. How it is made?

E' troppo... come dire... avete presente il coglionazzo
che prendevate/prendete sempre in giro al liceo? Questo
lo batte!!!! - http://www.h4rdwarez.da.ru/
<:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D
4 answers Last reply
More about ethernet card

    "Homer J." <hj@libero.it> wrote in message
    > Hello to all, I have bought one Ethernet card of the Hamlet. I have
    > mounted it, I have connected the router to the card, but when I ignite
    > the router the spy of the ethernet flashes. And if I try to connect
    > itself with a program peer to peer, begins to flash fastly. I have
    > called my telephone company and they have said to me that probably I
    > must shape the card ethernet. How it is made?
    > --

    I could guess ..... perhaps if you also pose your question also in Italian
    it would make it easier to respond. Here's my understanding:

    You have 2 computers and a router that connects to a DSL connection.

    You recently installed an ethernet card / network interface card (NIC) into
    one of the computers.
    You want to communicate between the computers via ethernet.
    You also want each computer to connect to the internet via the router.

    When you connect the new computer to the router, the light on the new
    ethernet card flashes.
    When you connect the two computers together the light on the new ethernet
    card flashes rapidly.

    It appears that you likely have hardware problems - with the blinking
    lights.

    1) If you are connecting the computers via the router, make sure that the
    cables are straight-through cables and neither of them is a crossover cable.
    (Unless the router provides automatic MDI/MDI-X autosensing).

    2) If you are testing the peer-to-peer connection without the router, make
    sure that the cable is a crossover cable.

    How to tell a straight vs. a crossover cable?
    Hold the two connectors so that they are pointing in the same direction.
    Have the flat / transparent side of the connector up - so you can see into
    the connector easily.
    A straight cable will have the wires arranged the same on both connectors.
    A crossover cable will have the wires arranged differently - from one
    connector to the other.
    See:
    http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

    Once the cables are correct, you will want to make sure the TCP/IP settings
    on the computers are OK. With the router, the simplest way (assuming
    Windows) is this:

    1) Set the TCP/IP to get an IP address automatically on both computers.
    2) Enable DHCP on the router.

    Fred

    Fred Marshall ha scritto:
    > "Homer J." <hj@libero.it> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello to all, I have bought one Ethernet card of the Hamlet. I have
    >>mounted it, I have connected the router to the card, but when I ignite
    >>the router the spy of the ethernet flashes. And if I try to connect
    >>itself with a program peer to peer, begins to flash fastly. I have
    >>called my telephone company and they have said to me that probably I
    >>must shape the card ethernet. How it is made?
    >>--
    >>

    > I could guess ..... perhaps if you also pose your question also in Italian
    > it would make it easier to respond. Here's my understanding:
    >
    > You have 2 computers and a router that connects to a DSL connection.
    >
    > You recently installed an ethernet card / network interface card (NIC) into
    > one of the computers.
    > You want to communicate between the computers via ethernet.
    > You also want each computer to connect to the internet via the router.
    >
    > When you connect the new computer to the router, the light on the new
    > ethernet card flashes.
    > When you connect the two computers together the light on the new ethernet
    > card flashes rapidly.
    >
    > It appears that you likely have hardware problems - with the blinking
    > lights.
    >
    > 1) If you are connecting the computers via the router, make sure that the
    > cables are straight-through cables and neither of them is a crossover cable.
    > (Unless the router provides automatic MDI/MDI-X autosensing).
    >
    > 2) If you are testing the peer-to-peer connection without the router, make
    > sure that the cable is a crossover cable.
    >
    > How to tell a straight vs. a crossover cable?
    > Hold the two connectors so that they are pointing in the same direction.
    > Have the flat / transparent side of the connector up - so you can see into
    > the connector easily.
    > A straight cable will have the wires arranged the same on both connectors.
    > A crossover cable will have the wires arranged differently - from one
    > connector to the other.
    > See:
    > http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm
    >
    > Once the cables are correct, you will want to make sure the TCP/IP settings
    > on the computers are OK. With the router, the simplest way (assuming
    > Windows) is this:
    >
    > 1) Set the TCP/IP to get an IP address automatically on both computers.
    > 2) Enable DHCP on the router.
    >
    > Fred

    No, you don't understand.
    Now i write the message in italian:

    Ho comprato una scheda Ethernet della Hamlet.
    L'ho montata, ho collegato il router alla scheda, ma quando accendo il
    router la spia dell'ethernet lampeggia.
    Poi se provo a connettermi con un programma peer to peer, comincia a
    lampeggiare velocemente.
    Ho chiamato la mia compagnia telefonica e mi hanno detto che
    probabilmente devo configurare la scheda ethernet.
    Mmm... configurare? E come si fa?

    E' troppo... come dire... avete presente il coglionazzo
    che prendevate/prendete sempre in giro al liceo? Questo
    lo batte!!!! - http://www.h4rdwarez.da.ru/
    <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D <:D

    Start with ethernet card's manufacturer diagnostics (obtain
    from manufacturer's web site). IOW execute software on the
    card directly - without using Windows (or whatever Operating
    System provided). The system has both a hardware and a
    software half. Test hardware first and without involving
    software. First execute the manufacturer's ethernet card
    diagnostic (maybe only using DOS so that diagnostic can talk
    directly to ethernet card).

    The manufacturer's diagnostics has two parts. The first
    part only proves that ethernet card's 'computer' talks to the
    motherboard's 'computer'. The last test verifies ethernet
    card's output transceivers and ethernet cable. That means the
    new ethernet card must be same manufacturer as the other test
    card. Ethernet card diagnostic executes on both cards so that
    each card will exchange data with the other card - a worst
    case test.

    Once hardware diagnostics have executed successfully, then
    start testing the ethernet card using operating system
    software. Since card passed hardware diagnostics, then any
    problem must be in operating system software.

    List the computer and Operating System so that others can
    provide more accurate details. Don't starve your peers of
    information. Otherwise they cannot be specific and accurate.

    > Fred Marshall ha scritto:
    >> "Homer J." <hj@libero.it> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hello to all, I have bought one Ethernet card of the Hamlet. I have
    >>>mounted it, I have connected the router to the card, but when I ignite
    >>>the router the spy of the ethernet flashes. And if I try to connect
    >>>itself with a program peer to peer, begins to flash fastly. I have
    >>>called my telephone company and they have said to me that probably I
    >>>must shape the card ethernet. How it is made?
    >>>--
    >>>

    >> I could guess ..... perhaps if you also pose your question also in
    >> Italian it would make it easier to respond. Here's my understanding:
    >>
    >> You have 2 computers and a router that connects to a DSL connection.
    >>
    >> You recently installed an ethernet card / network interface card (NIC)
    >> into one of the computers.
    >> You want to communicate between the computers via ethernet.
    >> You also want each computer to connect to the internet via the router.
    >>
    >> When you connect the new computer to the router, the light on the new
    >> ethernet card flashes.
    >> When you connect the two computers together the light on the new ethernet
    >> card flashes rapidly.
    >>
    >> It appears that you likely have hardware problems - with the blinking
    >> lights.
    >>
    >> 1) If you are connecting the computers via the router, make sure that the
    >> cables are straight-through cables and neither of them is a crossover
    >> cable. (Unless the router provides automatic MDI/MDI-X autosensing).
    >>
    >> 2) If you are testing the peer-to-peer connection without the router,
    >> make sure that the cable is a crossover cable.
    >>
    >> How to tell a straight vs. a crossover cable?
    >> Hold the two connectors so that they are pointing in the same direction.
    >> Have the flat / transparent side of the connector up - so you can see
    >> into the connector easily.
    >> A straight cable will have the wires arranged the same on both
    >> connectors.
    >> A crossover cable will have the wires arranged differently - from one
    >> connector to the other.
    >> See:
    >> http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm
    >>
    >> Once the cables are correct, you will want to make sure the TCP/IP
    >> settings on the computers are OK. With the router, the simplest way
    >> (assuming Windows) is this:
    >>
    >> 1) Set the TCP/IP to get an IP address automatically on both computers.
    >> 2) Enable DHCP on the router.
    >>
    >> Fred
    >>

    > No, you don't understand.
    > Now i write the message in italian:

    Homer,

    Well, the Italian didn't help me. Sorry.

    What part did I get wrong? I'm trying to determine the sort of problem
    you're experiencing.

    Fred

Routers Ethernet Card Networking