Asus VW246H resolution does not "stick" in Win7 64-bit

Neutrinos

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I've spent many, many hours researching this on the interwebs, and found little to help. It seems many folks have the same problem I do, with assorted monitors.

I have an Asus VW246H monitor, for which Asus does not provide driver (the site says to just use whatever Win7 drools out).

Whenever I shut down, sleep, or hibernate my rig, Win7-64bit "forgets" what monitor I have and sets the display to 800x600 (or some such). I then need to make it re-detect my monitor, which it does and sets the resolution to 1920x1080.

Is there a driver I can "force" win7 64-bit to use to retain the resolution setting? How can I get it to keep the proper setting? (It's kinda like waking up to find your furniture re-arranged - not deadly, but terribly inconvenient and anti-productive.)

(I have another monitor-is-blurry issue for another post (seems loads of people also have that problem.)

BTW, the video card is a Radeon R6950 2GB card, and I've updated the drivers, the BIOS, everything. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mainboard, 16 GB Gskill RipJaw DDR3 RAM.

I have also looked into the Power Options and set those as I deem appropriate or necessary. Nothing has made any difference.

Thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

oldmvsguy

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

I had the same problem - seem to have found a solution in my case. (EVGA GeForce GTX560ti video card and Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard). The monitor is plugged to a Connectpro hardware KVM switch; the problem system was plugged as the second system on the switch. Made it the primary, and after power-off/power-on, the correct resolution remained. Will observe for a day or two and see if this holds up. and how it all works when the other system on the switch (Thinkpad T61) is active.

I have it's "sister" monitor the Asus VK246H and I don't have this issue with Win 7 64-bit. The monitor does not use any drivers except if you want to use the built-in webcam on the VK model.

Since you already tried to update the driver, the only recommendation I can make is with regards to the cable. If you are using a DVI connection, then try switching to the other DVI port on the HD 6950. I think many have two DVI ports. If you are using a HDMI cable, then try to borrow another HDMI cable to see if there is a difference.