I killed the disk signature wizard and now I'm screwed

microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

I just installed a new hard drive in my Win2k Pro box. I then started
the Disk Management tool. A wizard popped up. Like an idiot, I checked
the box to make the wizard go away and cancelled out, figuring that
Microsoft would provide menu items to do any thing the wizard does. I
was very, very wrong.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308209 states:

NOTE: Before a new, unpartitioned disk can be used in Windows 2000
(partitioned or upgraded to Dynamic Disk), it must contain a disk
signature. The first time the Disk Management snap-in is run after
a new hard disk is installed, the Disk Signature and Upgrade Disk
Wizard is started. If the wizard is cancelled, you may find that
when you attempt to create a partition on the new hard disk, the
Create Partition option is unavailable (appears dimmed).

A couple of other poor slobs had exactly the same problem in 2002:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=377201c24705%24c756ac70%2437ef2ecf%40TKMSFTNGXA13&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2B%2522Disk%2BSignature%2Band%2BUpgrade%2BDisk%2522%2Bgroup:*microsoft*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D377201c24705%2524c756ac70%252437ef2ecf%2540TKMSFTNGXA13%26rnum%3D1

I've tried digging through the registry -- I couldn't find a solution.

I've tried powering down, removing the disk, starting Windows, going to
Disk Management, powering down, installing the disk, powering up, and
going to Disk Management, thinking that the wizard might start again --
nope.

I've tried booting the Win2k Pro CD and doing a repair, thinking that
the wizard might start again -- nope.

Does anybody know how to write a signature to a disk without using the
wizard, or how to force the wizard to run again?

TIA,

David
6 answers Last reply
More about killed disk signature wizard screwed

    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:

    I found a partial work-around -- use another Win2k box that has a
    working Disk Signature and Upgrade Disk Wizard. When I brought the disk
    back to the first machine, Disk Management could see the drive.

    Does anybody know where the Disk Signature and Upgrade Disk Wizard
    stores the setting for that evil check box, and how to uncheck it?

    TIA,

    David

    David

    "fdisk /mbr" from DOS/Win9x would rewrite the Master Boot Record, including
    the disk signature, but only on the primary master, so you would need to
    temporary reconfigure your machine to be able to do this. There might be
    third party software that has the ability to overwrite the MBR as well.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    "David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

    >microsoft.public.win2000.file_system:
    >
    >I just installed a new hard drive in my Win2k Pro box. I then started
    >the Disk Management tool. A wizard popped up. Like an idiot, I checked
    >the box to make the wizard go away and cancelled out, figuring that
    >Microsoft would provide menu items to do any thing the wizard does. I
    >was very, very wrong.
    >

    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308209 states:
    >
    > NOTE: Before a new, unpartitioned disk can be used in Windows 2000
    > (partitioned or upgraded to Dynamic Disk), it must contain a disk
    > signature. The first time the Disk Management snap-in is run after
    > a new hard disk is installed, the Disk Signature and Upgrade Disk
    > Wizard is started. If the wizard is cancelled, you may find that
    > when you attempt to create a partition on the new hard disk, the
    > Create Partition option is unavailable (appears dimmed).
    >

    >A couple of other poor slobs had exactly the same problem in 2002:
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=377201c24705%24c756ac70%2437ef2ecf%40TKMSFTNGXA13&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2B%2522Disk%2BSignature%2Band%2BUpgrade%2BDisk%2522%2Bgroup:*microsoft*%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D377201c24705%2524c756ac70%252437ef2ecf%2540TKMSFTNGXA13%26rnum%3D1
    >

    >I've tried digging through the registry -- I couldn't find a solution.
    >

    >I've tried powering down, removing the disk, starting Windows, going to
    >Disk Management, powering down, installing the disk, powering up, and
    >going to Disk Management, thinking that the wizard might start again --
    >nope.
    >

    >I've tried booting the Win2k Pro CD and doing a repair, thinking that
    >the wizard might start again -- nope.
    >

    >Does anybody know how to write a signature to a disk without using the
    >wizard, or how to force the wizard to run again?
    >

    >TIA,
    >
    >David

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Bjorn Landemoo wrote:
    > "fdisk /mbr" from DOS/Win9x would rewrite the Master Boot Record,
    > including the disk signature, but only on the primary master, so you
    > would need to temporary reconfigure your machine to be able to do
    > this. There might be third party software that has the ability to
    > overwrite the MBR as well.

    Thanks for the information and the suggestion. :-)

    So, "Windows NT Disk Signature" really means data in the master boot
    record. Now I'm curious -- what is the format? Does it change with
    different versions of DOS/ Win9x/ WinNT, or with Linux/ BSD? Maybe I'll
    dig for MBR data structures some day...

    David
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

    >So, "Windows NT Disk Signature" really means data in the master boot
    >record. Now I'm curious -- what is the format? Does it change with
    >different versions of DOS/ Win9x/ WinNT, or with Linux/ BSD? Maybe I'll
    >dig for MBR data structures some day...

    It's four bytes, stored at offset 0x1b8 on sector 0, not actually a part of
    the Master Boot Code. The Master Boot Code is common for all x86-computers.

    Disk signatures of mounted devices are stored in the registry in
    HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.

    "fdisk /mbr" was created before NT, and overwrites the disk signature, but
    the tool that comes with Win2000 and later, FIXMBR, leaves the disk
    signature intact.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Bjorn Landemoo" <mvp2.REMOVE@landemoo.com> wrote in message

    > "fdisk /mbr" was created before NT, and overwrites the disk signature, but
    > the tool that comes with Win2000 and later, FIXMBR, leaves the disk
    > signature intact.

    Our utility MBRtool allows you to either leave the signature alone or remove
    it when 'refreshing' the MBR.

    --
    Joep

    D I Y D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
    http://www.diydatarecovery.com

    Please include previous correspondence!

    DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
    iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
    MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.
    CHK-Mate - automated CHK file analysis & recovery
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

    >Our utility MBRtool allows you to either leave the signature alone or remove
    >it when 'refreshing' the MBR.

    Nice utility! Would have been easier than reconfiguring the machine in
    Davids case.

    Best regards

    Bjorn

File System Disk Management Microsoft Windows