Dual Boot Failing

I have a system with two Win2000 loads.
One is English, the other is Japanese.
Each is on it's own hard drive, and both hard drives are on
the same IDE controller.

I had to re-install the English version last week.
After I did, even though I have the option to select the
Japanese version through the boot.ini, it will not boot.
The English version, when selected, boots with no problem.

Here is the boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro English"
/fastdetect
signature(5331b63d)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro
Japanese" /fastdetect

I am aware that the "signature..." part of the second selection is the
signature
of the second hard drive, and when I checked, it is correct.

When I select the Japanese OS to boot, this is what I get:

"Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware
configuration
problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and
disk
hardware. Please check the windows 2000 (tm) documentation about hardware
disk configuration and our hardware reference manuals for additional
information."

After booting the English version, I can look at the second hard drive, and
the files required to boot that drive look fine. I did nothing, that I am
aware of, that would make any changes to the OS when reinstalling the
English version.

TIA

-john

John Shoemaker wrote:

> I have a system with two Win2000 loads.
> One is English, the other is Japanese.
> Each is on it's own hard drive, and both hard drives are on
> the same IDE controller.
>
> I had to re-install the English version last week.
> After I did, even though I have the option to select the
> Japanese version through the boot.ini, it will not boot.
> The English version, when selected, boots with no problem.
>
> Here is the boot.ini:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro English"
> /fastdetect
> signature(5331b63d)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro
> Japanese" /fastdetect
>
> I am aware that the "signature..." part of the second selection is the
> signature
> of the second hard drive, and when I checked, it is correct.
>
> When I select the Japanese OS to boot, this is what I get:
>
> "Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware
> configuration
> problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and
> disk
> hardware. Please check the windows 2000 (tm) documentation about hardware
> disk configuration and our hardware reference manuals for additional
> information."
>
> After booting the English version, I can look at the second hard drive, and
> the files required to boot that drive look fine. I did nothing, that I am
> aware of, that would make any changes to the OS when reinstalling the
> English version.
>
> TIA
>
> -john
Seems to me this is caused by the fact that the line of boot.ini which
refers to the japanese install mentions partition(2) which should
probably be (1) unless the disk you installed the japanese is
differently set-up than the english one.

John

John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:

>John Shoemaker wrote:
>
>> I have a system with two Win2000 loads.
>> One is English, the other is Japanese.
>> Each is on it's own hard drive, and both hard drives are on
>> the same IDE controller.
>>
>> I had to re-install the English version last week.
>> After I did, even though I have the option to select the
>> Japanese version through the boot.ini, it will not boot.
>> The English version, when selected, boots with no problem.
>>
>> Here is the boot.ini:
>>
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=30
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro English"
>> /fastdetect
>> signature(5331b63d)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro
>> Japanese" /fastdetect
>>
>> I am aware that the "signature..." part of the second selection is the
>> signature
>> of the second hard drive, and when I checked, it is correct.
>>
>> When I select the Japanese OS to boot, this is what I get:
>>
>> "Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware
>> configuration
>> problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and
>> disk
>> hardware. Please check the windows 2000 (tm) documentation about hardware
>> disk configuration and our hardware reference manuals for additional
>> information."
>>
>> After booting the English version, I can look at the second hard drive, and
>> the files required to boot that drive look fine. I did nothing, that I am
>> aware of, that would make any changes to the OS when reinstalling the
>> English version.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> -john
>Seems to me this is caused by the fact that the line of boot.ini which
>refers to the japanese install mentions partition(2) which should
>probably be (1) unless the disk you installed the japanese is
>differently set-up than the english one.
>
>John

I noticed the same thing, John.
However, I changed it and got the same error.

-john

John Shoemaker wrote:

> John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>John Shoemaker wrote:
>>

>>>I have a system with two Win2000 loads.
>>>One is English, the other is Japanese.
>>>Each is on it's own hard drive, and both hard drives are on
>>>the same IDE controller.
>>>
>>>I had to re-install the English version last week.
>>>After I did, even though I have the option to select the
>>>Japanese version through the boot.ini, it will not boot.
>>>The English version, when selected, boots with no problem.
>>>
>>>Here is the boot.ini:
>>>
>>>[boot loader]
>>>timeout=30
>>>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
>>>[operating systems]
>>>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro English"
>>>/fastdetect
>>>signature(5331b63d)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Pro
>>>Japanese" /fastdetect
>>>
>>>I am aware that the "signature..." part of the second selection is the
>>>signature
>>>of the second hard drive, and when I checked, it is correct.
>>>
>>>When I select the Japanese OS to boot, this is what I get:
>>>
>>>"Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware
>>>configuration
>>>problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and
>>>disk
>>>hardware. Please check the windows 2000 (tm) documentation about hardware
>>>disk configuration and our hardware reference manuals for additional
>>>information."
>>>
>>>After booting the English version, I can look at the second hard drive, and
>>>the files required to boot that drive look fine. I did nothing, that I am
>>>aware of, that would make any changes to the OS when reinstalling the
>>>English version.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>-john
>>
>>Seems to me this is caused by the fact that the line of boot.ini which
>>refers to the japanese install mentions partition(2) which should
>>probably be (1) unless the disk you installed the japanese is
>>differently set-up than the english one.
>>
>>John
>

> I noticed the same thing, John.
> However, I changed it and got the same error.
>
> -john

And what about the line beginning with "signature"...instead of
multi(0). Does it make sense ? I am not familiar with this and it might
not hurt to edit this line so that it exactly matches (except for the
drive number of course) the first one. After that, I am at a loss...

--
John Doue

John

The signature() syntax in boot.ini requires a file on C:\ named
ntbootdd.sys in order to boot. If you reformatted C:, this file was removed
with it, explaining why your second install will not boot.

You could try using the file "c:\winnt\system32\drivers\atapi.sys" as
ntbootdd.sys. Copy atapi.sys to C:\ and rename it to ntbootdd.sys and see
if you can boot your second installation.

If not, perform an upgrade installation of your second installation.

Best regards

Bjorn