Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your warnings,
and installed a good backup program. Three days after
backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped out
by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool will
heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle

Parameters are passed to chkdsk as a space plus a letter, as "chkdsk /f", in
a command line.

"Belle Starr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
> ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
> Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
> mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
> a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
> and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
> all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
> sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
> you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
> you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your warnings,
> and installed a good backup program. Three days after
> backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped out
> by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
> backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool will
> heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle

/F is the"Fix" parameter. Read only won't repair errors, so Specify "Chkdsk
/F" for better results.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Parameters are passed to chkdsk as a space plus a letter, as "chkdsk /f", in
> a command line.
>
> "Belle Starr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
> > ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
> > Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
> > mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
> > a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
> > and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
> > all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
> > sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
> > you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
> > you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your warnings,
> > and installed a good backup program. Three days after
> > backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped out
> > by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
> > backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool will
> > heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle

Hi, Belle.

> ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
> Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
> mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how?

How to change it? Simple. As others said, just add a space, then /, then
the letter for the parameter. In a "DOS" window, type any command plus "
/?" to see a mini-Help file listing all the parameters and switches
available with that command. For example, chkdsk /?

Should you change it? That depends. I like to run Chkdsk as Read-only
first. When I am sure that I want changes to be written to the disk, I run
it again with the /F or /R parameter. As you can see with chkdsk /?, /R
"Implies /F"; either parameter causes disk writes. Usually, /R (or /F)
solves the problem. However, Chkdsk sometimes misinterprets what it sees
and its "fixes" make the problem worse. It's hard for us non-experts to
know which is which, and often we have little choice but to trust Chkdsk and
let it try to fix things.

In the early stages of trying to track down a problem, you may not want
changes to be written. You might want to preserve the present state of the
disk for further diagnostics or to be able to use some powerful utility to
recover data or information from the FAT or MFT for analysis.

When you are sure that there is nothing recoverable, or that the error is
one that Chkdsk can fix, or that you have no better option, then run chkdsk
/r (or /f).

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Belle Starr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
> ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
> Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
> mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
> a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
> and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
> all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
> sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
> you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
> you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your warnings,
> and installed a good backup program. Three days after
> backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped out
> by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
> backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool will
> heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle

Many thanks to all of you. As always you were very
helpful. BYW,R.C., I love San Marcos. Belle

wrote in message
>> Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
>> ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
>> Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
>> mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
>> a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
>> and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
>> all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
>> sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
>> you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
>> you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your
warnings,
>> and installed a good backup program. Three days after
>> backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped
out
>> by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
>> backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool
will
>> heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle
>
>.

Hi, Belle.

You're welcome. And we love San Marcos, too. ;<)

And, as a native Okie, I also recognize the name Belle Starr. Have you ever
been to Robbers' Cave, near Wilburton, OK? Lots of Belle Starr memorabilia
around there.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Many thanks to all of you. As always you were very
> helpful. BYW,R.C., I love San Marcos. Belle

Yes, R.C. I have been to Robber's Cave. Love camping in
that area. Love camping all over OK and Tx.

wrote in message
>> Many thanks to all of you. As always you were very
>> helpful. BYW,R.C., I love San Marcos. Belle

My sister lives in Bastrop. I have a cousin in New Braunfels. I was born
in SA.

> Yes, R.C. I have been to Robber's Cave. Love camping in
> that area. Love camping all over OK and Tx.

Ok, Colin, you qualify as a 'Good Guy', too. And,BTW,
Thanks for your response to my original post. Belle

wrote in message
>> Yes, R.C. I have been to Robber's Cave. Love camping
in
>> that area. Love camping all over OK and Tx.

yw