chkdsk

Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your warnings,
and installed a good backup program. Three days after
backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped out
by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool will
heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle
9 answers Last reply
More about chkdsk

    Parameters are passed to chkdsk as a space plus a letter, as "chkdsk /f", in
    a command line.

    "Belle Starr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
    > ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
    > Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
    > mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
    > a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
    > and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
    > all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
    > sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
    > you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
    > you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your warnings,
    > and installed a good backup program. Three days after
    > backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped out
    > by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
    > backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool will
    > heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle

    /F is the"Fix" parameter. Read only won't repair errors, so Specify "Chkdsk
    /F" for better results.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Parameters are passed to chkdsk as a space plus a letter, as "chkdsk /f", in
    > a command line.
    >
    > "Belle Starr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
    > > ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
    > > Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
    > > mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
    > > a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
    > > and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
    > > all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
    > > sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
    > > you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
    > > you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your warnings,
    > > and installed a good backup program. Three days after
    > > backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped out
    > > by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
    > > backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool will
    > > heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle

    Hi, Belle.

    > ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
    > Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
    > mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how?

    How to change it? Simple. As others said, just add a space, then /, then
    the letter for the parameter. In a "DOS" window, type any command plus "
    /?" to see a mini-Help file listing all the parameters and switches
    available with that command. For example, chkdsk /?

    Should you change it? That depends. I like to run Chkdsk as Read-only
    first. When I am sure that I want changes to be written to the disk, I run
    it again with the /F or /R parameter. As you can see with chkdsk /?, /R
    "Implies /F"; either parameter causes disk writes. Usually, /R (or /F)
    solves the problem. However, Chkdsk sometimes misinterprets what it sees
    and its "fixes" make the problem worse. It's hard for us non-experts to
    know which is which, and often we have little choice but to trust Chkdsk and
    let it try to fix things.

    In the early stages of trying to track down a problem, you may not want
    changes to be written. You might want to preserve the present state of the
    disk for further diagnostics or to be able to use some powerful utility to
    recover data or information from the FAT or MFT for analysis.

    When you are sure that there is nothing recoverable, or that the error is
    one that Chkdsk can fix, or that you have no better option, then run chkdsk
    /r (or /f).

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Belle Starr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
    > ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
    > Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
    > mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
    > a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
    > and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
    > all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
    > sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
    > you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
    > you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your warnings,
    > and installed a good backup program. Three days after
    > backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped out
    > by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
    > backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool will
    > heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle

    Many thanks to all of you. As always you were very
    helpful. BYW,R.C., I love San Marcos. Belle

    wrote in message
    >> Hi. I have XPHome SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)when I
    >> ran chkdsk,I got the following message: Warning F
    >> Parameter nor specified. Running CHKDSK in read only
    >> mode. Should I change this? And,if so,how? I did
    >> a 'google' on F Parameter, but it was pretty confusing
    >> and did not help at all. As always, I do so appreciate
    >> all the help I get from all of you. You have saved my
    >> sanity more times than you know. By the way, to all of
    >> you good people who preach backup,backup,backup,thank
    >> you,thank you,thank you. I finally heeded your
    warnings,
    >> and installed a good backup program. Three days after
    >> backing up my whole system--you guess it--I was wiped
    out
    >> by a five year old's fingers. Please keep preaching
    >> backup and safety measures. Maybe another poor fool
    will
    >> heed the warnings. Cheers to all of you, Belle
    >
    >.

    Hi, Belle.

    You're welcome. And we love San Marcos, too. ;<)

    And, as a native Okie, I also recognize the name Belle Starr. Have you ever
    been to Robbers' Cave, near Wilburton, OK? Lots of Belle Starr memorabilia
    around there.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    > Many thanks to all of you. As always you were very
    > helpful. BYW,R.C., I love San Marcos. Belle

    Yes, R.C. I have been to Robber's Cave. Love camping in
    that area. Love camping all over OK and Tx.

    wrote in message
    >> Many thanks to all of you. As always you were very
    >> helpful. BYW,R.C., I love San Marcos. Belle

    My sister lives in Bastrop. I have a cousin in New Braunfels. I was born
    in SA.

    > Yes, R.C. I have been to Robber's Cave. Love camping in
    > that area. Love camping all over OK and Tx.

    Ok, Colin, you qualify as a 'Good Guy', too. And,BTW,
    Thanks for your response to my original post. Belle

    wrote in message
    >> Yes, R.C. I have been to Robber's Cave. Love camping
    in
    >> that area. Love camping all over OK and Tx.

    yw

    > Ok, Colin, you qualify as a 'Good Guy', too. And,BTW,
    > Thanks for your response to my original post. Belle

Chkdsk Backup Windows XP