Sign in with
Your question

GIGABYTE--965p-DS3 SYS_FAN

Last response: in Motherboards
August 25, 2006 5:20:33 PM

Hi. I'm quite new to system building. But i managed to build my new E6600 without any major problems. However, i notice the SYS_FAN 4 pin connection on the mobo. What exactly is this for? none of the fan connections on my case[Armor Full Tower] has one. They(case fans) only have a 4 pin direct psu/1 pin connections.

The 1 pin connection[3 pin connector] is pretty much useless, i can't see a use for it. I did mod the direct psu connections slightly so i could hook up the case fans to my Zalman-ZM-MFC1 fan controller. I just took the 2 wires(pos/neg) red and black wires and put them in the two controller switches. I would have liked to connect them to the other four fan controller dials. But i couldn't get power to the fans using the pos/neg wires from the psu connector. I think it expects 3 wires? not sure why.

My cpu hsf is connected to the CPU_FAN, so that works fine. Note this also has a 4 pin connector so i couldn't connect directly to the Zalman-ZM-MFC1 either. Silly really considering it's a Zalman 9500-AT, lol.

I can switch my two led case fans through 12v/off/5v states. But i can't use the finer +/- 1v dials :( 

Maybe someone else with experience can make some suggestions? I'm quite new to working with hardware, so try and keep it simple please :) 
August 25, 2006 6:03:33 PM

bump
August 25, 2006 6:29:29 PM

The SYS_FAN connector is just a normal fan connector that allows you to plug a fan directly into the motherboard rather than the PSU. Nothing special really, just allows the motherboard BIOS to monitor/control the speed of whatever fan you plug into it.

If I'm reading your description correctly, the case fans have a standard 3-pin fan connector with only 1 wire, as well as a 4-pin molex connector that goes directly into the power supply. The three wires on a typical fan connector are ground, power, and speed. If the 3-pin connector only has one wire, it's the speed wire. You can plug that into the SYS_FAN controller if you want the BIOS to monitor the speed of that fan.

Strange that you couldn't get power to the fans with the controller. I don't know why it would need all three wires to work. Are you sure you had the two wires connected to the correct pins? Ground (black) on the left and power (red) in the middle?

You can actually plug the 4-pin HSF connector into the 3-pin connector on the fan controller. That fourth pin just allows the board to control the speed of the fan. The other three pins are the same as what you'll find on a normal 3-pin fan plug. If the wire isn't long enough to reach the controller, just get a 4-pin extension wire or a 4-pin to 3-pin converter.

Hope this helps.
Related resources
August 25, 2006 7:44:01 PM

Quote:
The SYS_FAN connector is just a normal fan connector that allows you to plug a fan directly into the motherboard rather than the PSU. Nothing special really, just allows the motherboard BIOS to monitor/control the speed of whatever fan you plug into it.

The problem is that every fan lead(case, psu), has 3 pin connector[only 1 wire on case fans and 2 for my psu ToughPower 550]. None of them will actually fit in the 4 pin SYS_FAN connection on the mobo. I understand what you are saying though. I was just curious what it's purpose was. I'd rather use my fan controller.

Quote:

If I'm reading your description correctly, the case fans have a standard 3-pin fan connector with only 1 wire, as well as a 4-pin molex connector that goes directly into the power supply. The three wires on a typical fan connector are ground, power, and speed. If the 3-pin connector only has one wire, it's the speed wire. You can plug that into the SYS_FAN controller if you want the BIOS to monitor the speed of that fan.

You are correct that's how the pins are layed out. The SYS_FAN controller is a 4 pin connection though, so i can't use it with any of my fans :( . I still don't see how that speed wire is any use though. I can't actually connect it to anything in the system, not even the fan controller i bought. The only way i could connect my armor case fans to the zalman-MFC1 fan controller was by taking the black and red wire from the direct psu wire and connecting them to the 12v/off/5v inputs[fan 5/6] on the fan controller.

Quote:

Strange that you couldn't get power to the fans with the controller. I don't know why it would need all three wires to work. Are you sure you had the two wires connected to the correct pins? Ground (black) on the left and power (red) in the middle?

I managed to get power, because i checked with a volt meter. The blue led also lit up on the fan controller[3 wire connection]. But the fan didn't actually move, and the led didn't light up. Totally confused. What a pain. I can't understand why thermaltake provides these useless connections on their case fans.

Quote:

You can actually plug the 4-pin HSF connector into the 3-pin connector on the fan controller. That fourth pin just allows the board to control the speed of the fan. The other three pins are the same as what you'll find on a normal 3-pin fan plug. If the wire isn't long enough to reach the controller, just get a 4-pin extension wire or a 4-pin to 3-pin converter.

Unless i got a converter that wouldn't be possible. But i take your point. It's driving me mad that none of these connectors seem to be compatible, lol :( 

At the moment, i can only use the two 12v/off/5v connections on the fan controller, the others are useless because of the non-compatible connectors.

Thanks for responding.
August 25, 2006 8:04:12 PM

Quote:
I still don't see how that speed wire is any use though.

It isn't really, unless you're extremely paranoid about fan failure.
!