NTFS Permissions

Is it possible to grant a user modify rights to a folder and within that folder, deny the right to delete a file? I'm pretty sure I've done this before. I have a Windows Server 2003 DC with windows XP on the workstation. I also need to know if this works on Windows 2000 as well.
1 answer Last reply
More about ntfs permissions

    v-anair@online.microsoft.com (Ashok Nair [MSFT]) wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > It is quite possble to do this as you can use the file and folder
    > permissions to secure data once you are using NTFS.
    >
    > In Windows 2000, you just need to give modify permissions on the Folder
    > and select the file/folder (from inside the folder) you want to deny
    > access to, and give the appropriate permissions. If it is not allowing
    > you to change the permissions, click to clear the Allow inheritable
    > permissions check box. The file or folder will no longer inherit
    > permissions and you will be able to make the changes.
    >
    > In XP, the inheritance check box can be found under advanced -->
    > Permissions Tab

    You can also lock your box out of the boot process! ;-)

    Always make backups <g>.

Permissions Windows