CRC error with new dual core?

sackynut

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I have been having this problem ONLY since I got my new dual core CPU. (x2 4200+)
I know I have another thread but this is a different issue.

With some files, when I extract them, or install them...they somehow become corrupted and it gives me a CRC error. Sometimes I can re-download the file and it will work, sometimes I can just try again.

But every now and then there is a file that will not work no matter what.
For example. I downloaded the company of heroes single player demo. The multiplayer demo extracted and installed fine. But right before the SP demo is done extracting itself, I get a file corruption CRC error. No matter where I download it from, or how I extract it. This problem also happened with 3dmark06, so I tried again and it worked.

All my speeds and voltages are at stock. Any help? Thanks in advance.

i think there is a patch you have to download for the dualcore amd's.

www.amd.com

I have been having this problem ONLY since I got my new dual core CPU. (x2 4200+)
I know I have another thread but this is a different issue.

With some files, when I extract them, or install them...they somehow become corrupted and it gives me a CRC error. Sometimes I can re-download the file and it will work, sometimes I can just try again.

But every now and then there is a file that will not work no matter what.
For example. I downloaded the company of heroes single player demo. The multiplayer demo extracted and installed fine. But right before the SP demo is done extracting itself, I get a file corruption CRC error. No matter where I download it from, or how I extract it. This problem also happened with 3dmark06, so I tried again and it worked.

All my speeds and voltages are at stock. Any help? Thanks in advance.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I'd run memtest and/or reinstall your network drivers.

Also remember to post your complete specs, it may not help that much in this case but in troubleshooting, there's no such thing as too much information... (as long as its about your computer) :)

sackynut

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Amd athlon 4200+
2GB Corsair XMS ram at 400mhz 2-3-3-6
creative x-fi platinum
2 nvidia 6800gs's in sli
albatron k8sli mainboard.
80gb hard drive,.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
Is this a whole new system, or did you just drop in a new CPU?

If its a new system, I would check the ram first. reseat the modules, make sure they are in the correct slots. check with corsair to make sure the timings match what they recommend, I have a pair of XMS 400's that don't default to the same speed they recommended.

You might also check your thermals. do you have a utility to report the cpu, chipset and ram temps? At stock voltages, you shouldn't have thermal problems unless there is a problem (like poorly seated heat sink, or poor ventilation around the dimms).

Have you checked your drive? Is it in good shape and reliable? I once had problems opening a large download, and after several failed attempts, realized I needed to chkdsk the drive before I could get the whole download written and read.

sackynut

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Is this a whole new system, or did you just drop in a new CPU?

If its a new system, I would check the ram first. reseat the modules, make sure they are in the correct slots. check with corsair to make sure the timings match what they recommend, I have a pair of XMS 400's that don't default to the same speed they recommended.

You might also check your thermals. do you have a utility to report the cpu, chipset and ram temps? At stock voltages, you shouldn't have thermal problems unless there is a problem (like poorly seated heat sink, or poor ventilation around the dimms).

Have you checked your drive? Is it in good shape and reliable? I once had problems opening a large download, and after several failed attempts, realized I needed to chkdsk the drive before I could get the whole download written and read.

I dropped in the CPU and then reformatted. My ram has had issues running at stock sometimes, but it ran fine with my single core processor. Ill check with that. All my temps are fine.

As for my drive. I do not know, it seems to be fine, but i WAS having issues with it before I reformatted (with my single core). But other than that it seems to be working just fine.