Epson Stylus C42: Over ride!

rayl

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

Hi guys :)

I have just replaced the black cartridge to be told by the printer that the
colour has exhausted!!

Now I know this not to be the case as since putting the colour in I have
only ever printed in black. But there has been the occasion while doing a
nozzle check that I have printed a test page, which uses the colour, of
course.

My brother told me that I can bridge two of the contact plates on the rear
of the cartridges to indicate to the software that the cartridge is full. Is
this so, and does anyone out there know where I can find the info??

Thanks for any help!!

Oh, and I know I should chuck the heap of sh*te out the window. I will when
I begin earning in a few weeks time.

Cheers...

....Ray.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

"RayL" <ray@bluedawn.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi guys :)
>
> I have just replaced the black cartridge to be told by the printer that
> the
> colour has exhausted!!
>
> Now I know this not to be the case as since putting the colour in I have
> only ever printed in black. But there has been the occasion while doing a
> nozzle check that I have printed a test page, which uses the colour, of
> course.
>
> My brother told me that I can bridge two of the contact plates on the
> rear
> of the cartridges to indicate to the software that the cartridge is full.
> Is
> this so, and does anyone out there know where I can find the info??
>
> Thanks for any help!!
>
> Oh, and I know I should chuck the heap of sh*te out the window. I will
> when
> I begin earning in a few weeks time.
>
> Cheers...
>
> ...Ray.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"RayL" <ray@bluedawn.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:
>Hi guys :)
>
>I have just replaced the black cartridge to be told by the printer that the
>colour has exhausted!!
>
>Now I know this not to be the case as since putting the colour in I have
>only ever printed in black. But there has been the occasion while doing a
>nozzle check that I have printed a test page, which uses the colour, of
>course.
>
>My brother told me that I can bridge two of the contact plates on the rear
>of the cartridges to indicate to the software that the cartridge is full. Is
>this so, and does anyone out there know where I can find the info??
>
>Thanks for any help!!
>
>Oh, and I know I should chuck the heap of sh*te out the window. I will when
>I begin earning in a few weeks time.
>
>Cheers...
>
>...Ray.

Ray
Your printer does use colour ink I'm afraid. It uses it everytime the printer
does a routine head clean, it may (depending on the model and the driver
settings) use colour ink when printing grey scale or even black. This applies
to all makes of inkjet printers, the heads have to be kept moist hence the
regular cleaning cycles.
I am not aware of any way to fool this printer into thinking the colour is
full, it would not be wise to do that in any event since the colour head will
almost certainly dry up without any ink to effect a good head clean.
Best way to keep your printer working well is to replace the colour cartridge.
Tony

<Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.wZyAt7kAcTvJiQ@ue.ph...
> "RayL" <ray@bluedawn.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:
>>Hi guys :)
>>
>>I have just replaced the black cartridge to be told by the printer that the
>>colour has exhausted!!
>>
>>Now I know this not to be the case as since putting the colour in I have
>>only ever printed in black. But there has been the occasion while doing a
>>nozzle check that I have printed a test page, which uses the colour, of
>>course.

> Your printer does use colour ink I'm afraid. It uses it everytime the printer
> does a routine head clean, it may (depending on the model and the driver
> settings) use colour ink when printing grey scale or even black. This applies
> to all makes of inkjet printers, the heads have to be kept moist hence the
> regular cleaning cycles.

Some printers use more ink in servicing than others. See
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/July05/HP%208250.htm for an example of a printer
that recirculates servicing ink rather than depositing it in a servicing
"diaper". Most integrated printhead/ink systems also have minimal servicing
overhead.

Regards,

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote:
><Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.wZyAt7kAcTvJiQ@ue.ph...
>> "RayL" <ray@bluedawn.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:
>>>Hi guys :)
>>>
>>>I have just replaced the black cartridge to be told by the printer that the
>>>colour has exhausted!!
>>>
>>>Now I know this not to be the case as since putting the colour in I have
>>>only ever printed in black. But there has been the occasion while doing a
>>>nozzle check that I have printed a test page, which uses the colour, of
>>>course.
>
>> Your printer does use colour ink I'm afraid. It uses it everytime the printer
>> does a routine head clean, it may (depending on the model and the driver
>> settings) use colour ink when printing grey scale or even black. This applies
>> to all makes of inkjet printers, the heads have to be kept moist hence the
>> regular cleaning cycles.
>
>Some printers use more ink in servicing than others. See
>http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/July05/HP%208250.htm for an example of a printer
>that recirculates servicing ink rather than depositing it in a servicing
>"diaper". Most integrated printhead/ink systems also have minimal servicing
>overhead.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Bob
Quite right - I was focussing on C42 and similar printers
Tony

Bob Headrick wrote:

> Some printers use more ink in servicing than others. See
> http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/July05/HP%208250.htm for an example of
> a printer that recirculates servicing ink rather than depositing it
> in a servicing "diaper". Most integrated printhead/ink systems also
> have minimal servicing overhead.

When you have 4.5ml in one cartridge, every drop of ink is priceless.

--
# £ukasz Ledóchowski
# GG: 503647 lukled@tlen.pl

"£ukasz Ledóchowski" <lukled@tlen.pl> wrote in message
> Bob Headrick wrote:
>
>> Some printers use more ink in servicing than others. See
>> http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/July05/HP%208250.htm for an example of
>> a printer that recirculates servicing ink rather than depositing it
>> in a servicing "diaper". Most integrated printhead/ink systems also
>> have minimal servicing overhead.
>
> When you have 4.5ml in one cartridge, every drop of ink is priceless.

You could always buy the 'high capacity' versions. All of 5.5 ml in them :|

The cleaning cycles use all ink colors together when the printer goes
through cleaning cycles, and eventually, the color inks will run out
even if not used for printing. That is probably what happened in your
case. The C42 is the lowest price Epson printer, and in general low end
printers use very small cartridges with small quantities of ink.

I am not familiar with which contacts can be bridged to trick the
printer into thinking a cartridge is full. Some people use chip
resetters to do this.

Art

RayL wrote:

> Hi guys :)
>
> I have just replaced the black cartridge to be told by the printer that the
> colour has exhausted!!
>
> Now I know this not to be the case as since putting the colour in I have
> only ever printed in black. But there has been the occasion while doing a
> nozzle check that I have printed a test page, which uses the colour, of
> course.
>
> My brother told me that I can bridge two of the contact plates on the rear
> of the cartridges to indicate to the software that the cartridge is full. Is
> this so, and does anyone out there know where I can find the info??
>
> Thanks for any help!!
>
> Oh, and I know I should chuck the heap of sh*te out the window. I will when
> I begin earning in a few weeks time.
>
> Cheers...
>
> ...Ray.

Wow, this is really quite the package of innovation within this printer.
Is it going to be available in North America as well? I notice this
review is from Tenerife (Canary Islands) and discusses the European version.

It deals with many of the issue most people have with inkjet printers.

I like the idea of an ink system that recirculates ink rather than dumps
it. That should, in theory, lead to minimal ink waste. I am intrigued
by how the printer keeps the ink clean and pure after it is recirculated.

I also like the fact that the printer pre-determines if it will be
running low on ink so you can replace the cartridge before it runs out
in the middle of a print.

The speed of the printer is amazing, as well. I am not clear if the
heads are permanent, semi-permanent or part of the cartridges. Based
upon the write up it appears the system is primed with some liquid out
of the box, and that fluid is them mixed with the initial ink
cartridges, which have higher dye load ink in them which is then diluted
with the fluid to make a "normal" mix.

How long do the heads last?

Sounds like some amazing new concepts have been incorporated into this
model, and like HP is going to leave the other companies having to
reconsider some of their design elements. I do notice the very small
amount of ink in the high dye load cartridges (3.5 ml) and wonder what
kind of yield it provides now that he ink isn't lost in cleaning cycles.

I like the idea that different inks have different ink volumes to better
reflect average usage. The low dye load inks always end up used up
first otherwise.

Art

Bob Headrick wrote:

> <Tony> wrote in message news:part1of1.1.wZyAt7kAcTvJiQ@ue.ph...
>
>>"RayL" <ray@bluedawn.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi guys :)
>>>
>>>I have just replaced the black cartridge to be told by the printer that the
>>>colour has exhausted!!
>>>
>>>Now I know this not to be the case as since putting the colour in I have
>>>only ever printed in black. But there has been the occasion while doing a
>>>nozzle check that I have printed a test page, which uses the colour, of
>>>course.
>

>>Your printer does use colour ink I'm afraid. It uses it everytime the printer
>>does a routine head clean, it may (depending on the model and the driver
>>settings) use colour ink when printing grey scale or even black. This applies
>>to all makes of inkjet printers, the heads have to be kept moist hence the
>>regular cleaning cycles.
>

> Some printers use more ink in servicing than others. See
> http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/July05/HP%208250.htm for an example of a printer
> that recirculates servicing ink rather than depositing it in a servicing
> "diaper". Most integrated printhead/ink systems also have minimal servicing
> overhead.
>
> Regards,

For some colors, that's the initial cartridge only, the regular one can
have more (5.5ml, admittedly not a lot more) or less (3.5ml)...

Art

£ukasz Ledóchowski wrote:

> Bob Headrick wrote:
>

>>Some printers use more ink in servicing than others. See
>>http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/July05/HP%208250.htm for an example of
>>a printer that recirculates servicing ink rather than depositing it
>>in a servicing "diaper". Most integrated printhead/ink systems also
>>have minimal servicing overhead.
>

> When you have 4.5ml in one cartridge, every drop of ink is priceless.

rayl

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

> > I have just replaced the black cartridge to be told by the printer that
the
> > colour has exhausted!!

----------------

Hi all :)

Nice response guys. Some good info and humour :))

SLLD, I'll look at that site after I have had some sleep. I'm just back from
a party and need a few hours before the F1 GP.

Meanwhile earlier, I took a look at a link I found in google. It looks like
a continual feed tank system. I haven't done much reading on it, but it
seems too far fetched for the little colour prints I do, like 'none' in the
case of the last cartridge :))

Here's the link for those that may be interested...

http://www.eddiem.com/photo/CIS/inkchip/chip.html

Cheers...

....Ray.