Sign in with
Your question

"IBM And intel Cheating With Quad Core?"

Last response: in CPUs
August 25, 2006 6:26:26 PM

Quote:
"IBM has been claiming achievements beyond reality," wrote one reader. "Aggressive skepticism of vendor claims is a necessary component of good IT reporting. Simply repeating what a vendor says is the role of a vendor-hired PR firm, not the press... (The Power 5+) is a module with two dual-core chips, not a quad-core chip."

"A [MCM] acts like a coherent unit, but in reality is just four discrete chips," wrote another reader. "IBM and Intel are not in the same league of sophistication as AMD. AMD has by far the more advanced of these solutions."

www.informationweek.com
August 25, 2006 6:31:04 PM

Gee, the 20 second AMD ad I had to go through before reading the article could mean the site it biased??
August 25, 2006 6:36:41 PM

Quote:
"IBM has been claiming achievements beyond reality," wrote one reader. "Aggressive skepticism of vendor claims is a necessary component of good IT reporting. Simply repeating what a vendor says is the role of a vendor-hired PR firm, not the press... (The Power 5+) is a module with two dual-core chips, not a quad-core chip."

"A [MCM] acts like a coherent unit, but in reality is just four discrete chips," wrote another reader. "IBM and Intel are not in the same league of sophistication as AMD. AMD has by far the more advanced of these solutions."

www.informationweek.com
My crystal ball says.." another locked thread coming". :roll:
Related resources
August 25, 2006 6:48:16 PM

Quote:

www.informationweek.com

THG forum readers beware:::

Once again, 9 inch is deliberately taking information out of context, and presenting in in such a way as to promote the AMD corporation.

As Paul Harvey would say, "now for the rest of the story", another exerpt from the article 9inch has butchered

Quote:
Analysts Dean McCarron and Nathan Brookwood say multicore processor designs that utilize MCMs are no less "true" multicore offerings than the monolithic, or "native," designs from AMD.

"What it comes down to is there is a processor socket, and a single processor package plugs into that socket," McCarron of Mercury Research says. "Then you can count the number of processors in the device to determine the total number cores. I think it's a bit of gamesmanship to say one approach isn't valid."

"This isn't a computer science project where the guy who does the more elegant design gets extra credit," Brookwood of Insight 64 says. "If the chip has four cores, you can say it's a quad-core design.".....

.....McCarron points out that using an MCM approach will allow Intel to get to the market with its quad-core design faster than AMD, as well as provide Intel with up-front manufacturing savings. With the vast majority of Intel's manufacturing line already dedicated to producing dual-core processors, Intel can get higher yields of usable processors, and therefore higher margins, by using two dual-core processors in a single package.

August 25, 2006 7:22:48 PM

Quote:
tank ,you are indeed psychic :wink: could you give me a reading ?id like to know if 9 inch will be reprimanded for lame posts.
Yes, i see a banning in his future. :?
August 25, 2006 7:48:39 PM

Quote:

www.informationweek.com

Once again, 9 inch is deliberately taking information out of context, and presenting in in such a way as to promote the AMD corporation.

As Paul Harvey would say, "now for the rest of the story", another exerpt from the article 9inch has butchered

Quote:
Analysts Dean McCarron and Nathan Brookwood say multicore processor designs that utilize MCMs are no less "true" multicore offerings than the monolithic, or "native," designs from AMD.

"What it comes down to is there is a processor socket, and a single processor package plugs into that socket," McCarron of Mercury Research says. "Then you can count the number of processors in the device to determine the total number cores. I think it's a bit of gamesmanship to say one approach isn't valid."

"This isn't a computer science project where the guy who does the more elegant design gets extra credit," Brookwood of Insight 64 says. "If the chip has four cores, you can say it's a quad-core design.".....

.....McCarron points out that using an MCM approach will allow Intel to get to the market with its quad-core design faster than AMD, as well as provide Intel with up-front manufacturing savings. With the vast majority of Intel's manufacturing line already dedicated to producing dual-core processors, Intel can get higher yields of usable processors, and therefore higher margins, by using two dual-core processors in a single package.

Still, that doesn't change the fact that intel's and IBM's offerings are nasty hacks which will fall short to AMD's superb and advanced designed K8L. :wink:
August 25, 2006 7:48:43 PM

Quote:
lol, :wink: ok another one
my dog sniffs at 9 inch posts ;what does that mean?and his tail raises when hes sniffing.
I see that your dog is lazy/smart. Rather than reach around to his butt to small Sh*t....he can just sniff a 9-Inch thread. :o 
August 25, 2006 7:51:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, i see a banning in his future. :?

Sweet mother of murgatroid........ when???
How much longer must these thinly disguised attempts at turning the THG forums into the "AMD Advertising Zone" continue? :cry: 

Peace
August 25, 2006 7:51:17 PM

Quote:

www.informationweek.com

Quote:

Still, that doesn't change the fact that intel's and IBM's offerings are nasty hacks which will fall short to AMD's superb and advanced designed K8L. :wink:D on't be so quick to judge IBM....whom AMD is in bed with. :?
August 25, 2006 8:09:28 PM

Quote:

www.informationweek.com

Still, that doesn't change the fact that intel's and IBM's offerings are nasty hacks which will fall short to AMD's superb and advanced designed K8L. :wink:D on't be so quick to judge IBM....whom AMD is in bed with. :?

Which is interesting, as in this thread (locked) 9 inch heaps praise upon IBM

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Quote:

IBM is about to unveil a revolutionary form of computing that could tranform the World of information. It is known as the Crystal Computer and it is a way to use pulses of light to transfer and store digital information as quantum bits. A processor so fast it is capable of running the eqivilatent of 300GHz, or about 400 Gflop/sec, that’s about 100 times faster than today’s fastest consumer microprocessors.

Really impressive.

Just wondering if AMD will use this type of technology for their TRIPS architecture (if they ever consider it).
http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/crystalcomputer.ht...

Proof positive that 9 inch will take whatever information he can, whenever he can, and twist it out of context, for the sole purpose of advertising for AMD

Peace
August 25, 2006 8:20:52 PM

Quote:
Id hate to say it fanboys but its true.
We all know Intels soon to be released quad core is simply 2 conroes on one chip, NOT a true native quad core.
We also know that AMD's quad core to be released shortly after Intels WILL be a true native quad core and should be far superior to Intels.

Mike, you need to stop posting to allow your 2 functioning brain cells enough time to process information:

Quote:

When you become a paid analyst employed by a respected firm, instead of a banned AMD fanboy blogger who hides behind gender challenged sock puppets, then maybe people will listen to you.
August 25, 2006 8:21:11 PM

Quote:
Gee, the 20 second AMD ad I had to go through before reading the article could mean the site it biased??

Information Week is an industry publication... for the most part I haven't noticed any major bias in any area. Toms has ads for AMD does that mean they are biased in favor of AMD? You don't exactly turn away advertisers...
August 25, 2006 8:36:35 PM

Quote:

AMD IS NOT GOD ,and i am a quarks width away from bieng insulting in return as you insult peoples intelligence with your unfounded garbage.
i want to scream stfu in your ear.

Words of wisdom, but sadly moot, as logic directed at 9 inch falls upon deaf ears

Peace
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 117 å Intel
August 25, 2006 8:40:38 PM

Quote:

www.informationweek.com

August 25, 2006 8:44:16 PM

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :trophy:
August 25, 2006 9:07:14 PM

Quote:
Mike, you need to stop posting to allow your 2 functioning brain cells enough time to process information:

Ummm....you must be minus a brain cell if you think my name is Mike 8O
Read much?

Secondly its true, if its not prove me wrong! :idea:

Mike, save the "I'm really not Mad Mod Mike" shtick for the newbs.
Your posting style and grammatic tendencies consistantly merge to identical matches, no matter how hard you work to present independant identities.

Its sadly pathetic, more so as you chose to go gender specific in your attempt to separate yourself from your earlier identity.

Weak Mike, very weak
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2006 9:10:53 PM

Regardless of whether Intels QC is "true" or not I just hope it is a better implementation than the PentiumD...history may not be an indicator of future performance but it's hard not to think that Intel may be rushing with their quad core release like they did their dual core solution...

I'm taking the "wait and see" approach to this quad core thing as there are basically zero applications that gamers or enthusiasts use to justify owning a quad core, and multitasking is a moot arguement here...it's also doubful that intel's quad core will displace the opteron in the server market, solely due to being a quad core...
August 25, 2006 9:29:53 PM

Quote:
Your posting style and grammatic tendencies consistantly merge to identical matches, no matter how hard you work to present independant identities.

Its sadly pathetic, more so as you chose to go gender specific in your attempt to separate yourself from your earlier identity.

Weak Mike, very weak
You must not have known MadModMike then. As surprising as it may sound, he actually knew quite a lot about both Intel and AMD CPUs; do you remember his CPU guide? His one flaw was his blind hate for Intel and his use of profanity when angered.
August 25, 2006 9:51:28 PM

Quote:

Weak Mike, very weak
You must not have known MadModMike then. As surprising as it may sound, he actually knew quite a lot about both Intel and AMD CPUs; do you remember his CPU guide? His one flaw was his blind hate for Intel and his use of profanity when angered.

Known personally, no. By post, yes. I read his threads and watched his flames. You are quite right, He did seem to know a lot, but as you stated was blinded by hate for intel. In his case, to the point of being violently hostile. But I dont think it was the profanity in his posts that mattered so much as the violent nature underlying the profanity.

Additionally, his hate blinded him to the point of being delusional. Confusing socio-religious ideals with corporate entities. The whole "intel is evil", "darkside of Conroe", "I am the light and the truth shall be known" delusion was well off the deep end.

Even so, and even though it will get me flamed, I would like to see the MMM login unbanned, providing, he keeps his temper under control, grows up a bit, and publically confess's to the MrsD and MrsBytch puppets. They havent fooled anyone and are part of his problem. He needs to fess up to prove that he is growing up.

Peace
August 25, 2006 10:17:31 PM

Quote:
This thread requires locking.
Agreed; even when presenting evidence, 9-inch refuses to believe.
August 25, 2006 10:43:17 PM

Quote:
Terribly sorry, I was just looking at the name --- Fudpucker with a bird... fitting. I am sure the eats are good, do they serve up Blackened Parrot?

:wink: Actually, I think their speciality is Parrot Tartar

Peace
!