script error in Help system

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 11, 2004 4:13:54 AM

I am using win2K SP4 and get a script error when I access
some parts of the windows help system (from Start button)
The dialogue box is entitled ..."Internet Explorer Script
error" The contents of the box starts out by saying "An
error has occured in the script on this page" It goes on
to show other details, mainly numerical. I am using IE6
with latest SP etc. I have reinstalled Win2K and IE6 but
the error still happens.Anyone have any experience in
this? Much thanks
(have posted this message in "General" also)

More about : script error system

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:21:01 PM

John,

> I am using win2K SP4 and get a script error when I access
> some parts of the windows help system

You should be able to fix this by opening a Command Prompt window and
entering the following two commands:

regsvr32 /u <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx

The cause of your problem is broken registry entries for the HTML Help
ActiveX control (hhctrl.ocx), which provides the navigation features
throughout the help files. Using the two commands above to unregister
and then re-register the control fixes these entries.

--
Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)
May 11, 2004 11:57:21 PM

Thanks Pete,
I haven't tried your advise yet (at work now), however I'm
sure you have the right fix for me. Funny how one senses
the correct path!! (also helps to know that I have
been 'playing' with the registry too!)
I will get back to you when I try it tonight.
Thanks again,
John

May 12, 2004 7:28:36 AM

Hi Pete,
I tried your two commands at the command prompt and got
the response that they had both been executed correctly.
Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem with the system
help. Suppose I will have to do a new install of W2K to
rid myself this nuance. Appreciate your help on this.
Regards John

May 12, 2004 7:46:22 AM

Hi Pete,

(Earlier I sent this off as the default 'anonymous' user)

!