script error in Help system

I am using win2K SP4 and get a script error when I access
some parts of the windows help system (from Start button)
The dialogue box is entitled ..."Internet Explorer Script
error" The contents of the box starts out by saying "An
error has occured in the script on this page" It goes on
to show other details, mainly numerical. I am using IE6
with latest SP etc. I have reinstalled Win2K and IE6 but
the error still happens.Anyone have any experience in
this? Much thanks
(have posted this message in "General" also)
4
answers
Last reply
More about script error system

    John,

    > I am using win2K SP4 and get a script error when I access
    > some parts of the windows help system

    You should be able to fix this by opening a Command Prompt window and
    entering the following two commands:

    regsvr32 /u <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
    regsvr32 <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx

    The cause of your problem is broken registry entries for the HTML Help
    ActiveX control (hhctrl.ocx), which provides the navigation features
    throughout the help files. Using the two commands above to unregister
    and then re-register the control fixes these entries.

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    Thanks Pete,
    I haven't tried your advise yet (at work now), however I'm
    sure you have the right fix for me. Funny how one senses
    the correct path!! (also helps to know that I have
    been 'playing' with the registry too!)
    I will get back to you when I try it tonight.
    Thanks again,
    John

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Pete,
    I tried your two commands at the command prompt and got
    the response that they had both been executed correctly.
    Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem with the system
    help. Suppose I will have to do a new install of W2K to
    rid myself this nuance. Appreciate your help on this.
    Regards John

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

    Hi Pete,

    (Earlier I sent this off as the default 'anonymous' user)

    I tried your two commands at the command prompt and got
    the response that they had both been executed correctly.
    Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem with the system
    help. Suppose I will have to do a new install of W2K to
    rid myself this nuance. Appreciate your help on this.
    Regards John

Internet Explorer File System Script Error Microsoft Windows