Recover files lost by leaving a Domain

An XP computer using NTFS has been mistakenly removed
from a 2003 Server Domain. As part of leaving the domain
the Operating System deleted the users' files i.e.
Documents and Settings/User.domain folder.

I have scanned the drive using two file recover utilities
but there is no sign of the files.

Is there any useful next steps? Does the OS actually
overwrite these files? Any clues gratefully received.

Regards
Matt
2 answers Last reply
More about recover files lost leaving domain

    This would not normally happen at least in a Windows 2000
    domain. Are you certain that the user you are logging
    into the PC with has administator rights?

    If the files have truly been deleted (This is not a design feature of Windows), then you will not be able to recover them through Windows. A file recovery service might be able to if the space on the disk they resided on has not been overwritten. When a file is deleted from within Windows, it isn't removed from the Disk. The links to the files are "destroyed" and the space is freed to be used by the OS.

Domain File System Windows